Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Favorite (and most hated) programming languages
Favorite (and most hated) programming languages
2004-06-01, 7:16 PM #1
I would have to say my favorite language is C++. Though I kind of skipped over C and never took the time to learn it properly. Oh well, plenty of time for that next semester when I'm programming Atmel MEGA128s.

I'm in the process of learning Python so that I can model a solar array for a solar car and calculate how sun positions will affect power output. Obviously using Blender to model the array, and Python to calculate power output. Anyway, I'm really liking Python. It's relatively simple, but powerful at the same time. I love how absolutely everything is an object. Even ";".

So: most hated languages. National Instruments LabVIEW, though not really a language in itself, has got to be one of the worst programming tools I've used. I'll admit it's handy for making connections to all sorts of lab equipment. I've never been able to set up a serial RS232 connection easier than in LabVIEW. But the graphical programming approach is just so...inefficient. And rage-inducing. I want to sit and type, not highlight, copy, drag, paste, and then wire functions with my mouse. It's also horrible for any standard programming that doesn't involve interfacing with lab instruments.

The other language that I don't like is Java. I'm sure it's an alright language, but my school and professor just ruined it for me. Creating an idiotic Set class for over a month that did the same thing as an array...terrible. And then at the end, he expects us to Tokenize a string and read/write from a file without ever touching on either of those topics in class. Granted, not a very hard thing to do, but the specifications for the program were so vague that nobody could understand them. It's been taken down now, but believe me when I say that this guy cannot write program specs.

Other thing was that he wanted us to write classes that other programmers would use. Now, maybe it's just me, but every program I've written on my own I've written with the intention of an end-user inputting whatever he needs and getting an output or storage of what he expects. No mucking about writing his own classes. But that's sort of a moot point. I almost preferred the introductory course taught in Visual Basic, because there we at least wrote meaningful programs.

Last thing about Java. I don't understand the Virtual Machine concept. I mean, I understand what it is and how it's used, but I don't understand why. The biggest argument I hear going for it is that if the Virtual Machine crashes, your real machine won't crash with it. From what I understand, Virtual Machines are used to make sure code cannot significantly damage your real machine on a crash. Which is fine for a language like C that has basic level operating system access and hardware access. Java doesn't inherently have either of those. If you're running it like a C program, on the machine itself, any crashes your program has should not damage the machine because it doesn't have access to potentially damaging controls, right? Anyway, that's always been something that I've been in the dark about.

So, what are your favorite and most hated languages?

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-06-01, 7:18 PM #2
I can tell you that I hate any incarnation of TI-BASIC with a passion...
2004-06-01, 7:18 PM #3
Virtual machines are also for cross platform software. The idea is that you can run an application on any system that has a virtual machine, e.g. Java applets.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-06-01, 7:22 PM #4
Fair enough. But is the slowness of it worth using it over just recompiling a .cpp file with a few minor changes? (This is assuming you're not using DirectX control, as that can get a little tricky).

------------------

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-06-01, 8:14 PM #5
I hate C++ with a passion, mainly cause it's the only programming code (unless HTML is considered programming code, which I don't) I have had in depth experience with. Not because I didn't get it, but because my teacher who taught it was an idiot who spent more time talking to the big breasted jail bait girls than help students who actually might use this crap in life.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-06-01, 8:52 PM #6
The only programming language that I am vaguely familiar with is Visual basic 6.

I learned enough of it to write a database-driven organizer app last summer, with the help of one of those Visual Quickstart books I checked out from the library. It took a few months of development to get what I wanted/needed, but it was time well spent. I wrote the program b/c I was unable to find anything that would suit my purposes, so i had to make what i needed myself.

I was considering releasing the program under GNU, but I'm not sure I can b/c it requires Microsoft access to run properly, and I can't exactly legally distribute msaccess with my program.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 01, 2004).]
2004-06-01, 10:00 PM #7
I love C++ (hisses at THRAWN). I'll write any program in C++. Inheritance, polymorphism, it's quite a powerful language.

What I hate is assembly language. Oh God is that ever a b**** and a half to program. 80x86, MIPS, Z80, 68000, whatever. It's alllll evil. EVIL.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-06-02, 1:15 AM #8
I don't think I have a favorite language. All of the languages I've learned have very similar syntax so it almost feels like one big language. The languages that I know of are C++ (just a LITTTLLEE bit), Javascript, Action script, and JK's cogscript. I guess I could mention HTML and CSS but those a markup languages, not programming/scripting so I won't. The most hated I can say is cogscript because it is EXTREMELY limited language. It has no arrays, and varibles have to be declared ahead of time, userX messages are very good use for functions because it's too limited, and there is NO object based structure to it. I understand that it is meant to be simple language for level design but since it was used for other things like items and weapons, it would have been better if it were as advanced as javascript.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-06-02, 1:58 AM #9
C is like diving from the fifth floor into a bucket of water.

C++ is bearable.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-06-02, 2:19 AM #10
I like delphi. It's kinda the happy medium between VB's simplicity and the power of c++.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-02, 3:31 AM #11
I'm quite fond of C/C++, Java, and VB. I'll be taking C++ 2 and VB 2 in Fall and I'm excited about that. I hope to take Java 2 and a Java Game Design course next Spring if I can find the time. VB is probably my least favorite language out of what I've taken, but I still enjoy it.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-06-02, 3:37 AM #12
COG. Duh.

------------------
"A tiger? In Africa?!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-06-02, 3:55 AM #13
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do it takes off your whole leg.

Favorite language: Perl, of course.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
Second favorite: Cog. Its just so bloody simple!

Most hated . . . hmm, thats a tough one. VB maybe, or possibly Java. Depends on what side of the gutter I woke up in.

------------------
Have you seen junior's grades!?
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-02, 4:14 AM #14
I used to hate Java, but now I love it. I learned a bit of C++ before I understood objects, so I might go back and try it a bit more now. Buuuut, my all time favourite language was Quick-Basic for DOS. That thing let me do anything when I was 8.

P.S. VB sucks.

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-06-02, 4:26 AM #15
Favorite: Python

Most hated: Perl

------------------
I check my e-mail.
2004-06-02, 5:40 AM #16
Can I change my vote? Yeah, Im gonna have to change my most hated language to PYTHON...

------------------
2004-06-02, 6:06 AM #17
My favorite is C++... especially now that I have learned how to program Win32 API and some OpenGL [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"
-Michael Kyle

MAK Studios 3D

[This message has been edited by MysteriousSith (edited June 02, 2004).]
2004-06-02, 6:20 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I was considering releasing the program under GNU, but I'm not sure I can b/c it requires Microsoft access to run properly, and I can't exactly legally distribute msaccess with my program.
</font>

It doesn't need access, its needs the MS Jet Database Engine, which is included in Microsoft Data Access Components, which is redistributable.

Anyway, favorite language would have to be C++, well..definitely C on certain days. I don't think I have a most hated language, though people making wrapper functions is a petpeeve.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2004-06-02, 7:57 AM #19
I like C++.
I hate Bash scripting.
I like VB 6.0.
I hate VB .net.
I like HTML and XHTML.
I hate CSS and Java.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-06-02, 9:40 AM #20
How can you like XHTML and not like CSS?

My favorite programming language is C because it provides very few easy solutions and promotes the development of problem solving skills.

My least favorite is Java, because it is so clunky. So many extensions and goofy things are necessary to accomplish a task.

Lately I have been completing my Java assignments in Java for the grade, then completing them in C (or C++ if it needs OO). It's a good learning experience, and I recommend it.
2004-06-02, 10:07 AM #21
C++ are win.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do it takes off your whole leg.
</font>

Quote thief! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-06-02, 12:10 PM #22
I saw that in a book once, is that it's origin or does it come from a usenet post?
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2004-06-02, 12:21 PM #23
As a wise man once said:

<Bri|PHP> PHP > sex

That is all.
2004-06-02, 12:24 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
I hate CSS
</font>

This is quite possibly the least logical choice for this thread. Reasons:

1) CSS is not a programming language.
2) CSS is very, very useful and efficient.
3) CSS is quite possible the easiest of the browser "scripting" technologies to use.
2004-06-02, 1:15 PM #25
Hmmm - now isn't this a tricky question... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] - for those that don't already know, I'm what's known as a Java "sadist" (I prefer the term "enthusiast" myself [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]). Sure it isn't easy to pick up in a day (heck no!) but many people fail to see just how powerful Java is just because of its learning curve. The main complaint about Java is speed, but with the HotSpot VM and hardware accelerated graphics (yes - Java can handle these for full-screen games!), speed isn't much of a factor anymore.

On top of this, Java is a modern, safe, object-orientated language (inheritance, polymorphism, interface classes, Exception handling, network support, JDBC functionality to work with any SQL -or similiar- based interactions etc etc [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]), with a comprehensive API, multithreading capabilities and automatic garbage collection. Now did I mention it's "portable" too...?? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

As far as languages that I'm indifferent about, C and VB/VBA are alright. Haven't touched the VB side of things for years now though. The one thing I will say about C is that it's fast. 'loody fast, if all the algorithms are thought through properly.

Now as for languages that I don't favour: C++ and C# fall into this category. Whilst I'll agree that C just has that air of simplicity about it, I can't help but feel something's ... "missing" ... when they went with a more object-oriented approach with C++'s implementation. But this is just my opinion. Some may say that C++ is the language to use for gaming and at present (rather begrudgingly) I would have to agree. However, what with Java3D picking up more interest, as well as mobile-phone games being coded in Java, I'd have to say "watch this space..." [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Now - the spawn of satan -> a cross between C/C++ and Java (which in my books, just shouldn't be allowed to occur anyway): C#. Admittedly, I haven't studied it in any great level of detail, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing so far...

As far as side projects go, I'm hoping to learn PHP a fair bit better than the basics - seeing as it looks like my final year uni discertation may well be (as soon as I finalise some more details I'll let you all know...) a comparative piece between that and Java's JDBC with MySQL, then I really ought to get to grips - PDQ! There's also something about XML that intrigues me, beyond the basics, but I'm waiting for the W3C to finalise the Xlink compatibility issues before I totally migrate to XML rather than HTML...

Anyways - those are just my "couple of thoughts". For what they're worth... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-Jackpot

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)

And he's finally off the starting grid --> Zooooom -@%
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-06-02, 2:53 PM #26
C++. I also like HTML...but that isn't really a programming language...
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-06-02, 3:17 PM #27
HTML isn't a programming language. It's a markup language. It involves no programming logic.
2004-06-02, 3:26 PM #28
I've just started to crawl into perl a little, and I'd just like to say that what I've seen so far I love. Of course, I don't know that much about it yet, so maybe that will change.

Most hated language, hmm, I don't really know. I'm not sure I have one yet.

------------------
"If I had a dollar for every time I had sixty cents, I would be Canada."
"Should slice indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration."
--@%
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-06-02, 4:02 PM #29
Quote:
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do it takes off your whole leg.</font>

I loooove that quote.

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually...
[16:38] happydud: He wasn't. :D

[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-06-02, 4:06 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMOCK!:
I've just started to crawl into perl a little, and I'd just like to say that what I've seen so far I love. Of course, I don't know that much about it yet, so maybe that will change...</font>

/me smiles upon the convert. "Rise, my son. Youve taken the first step into a much larger world..." [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-06-02, 4:13 PM #31
I forgot that PHP was a programming language.

PHP is definitely my number one.
2004-06-02, 4:18 PM #32
Hey... I have the right to hate CSS now be silent. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-06-02, 4:20 PM #33
Like: C/C++, XHTML, CSS, Shell Scripts, Prolog, PHP/mySQL, Perl, XML

Dislike: Java (though I do use it), Ada, Scheme, Basic/Visual Basic/TI Basic, *.NET

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-06-02, 4:33 PM #34
I suppose I'll add my other languages

Like: C, PHP, Java (to an extent), Perl (damn good for text processing)
Dislike: ML, Javascript, VB.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-06-02, 4:50 PM #35
I was under the impression that PHP was a scripting language. Not a programming language. If a markup language doesn't count? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-06-02, 5:03 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PnHobbit:
I was under the impression that PHP was a scripting language. Not a programming language. If a markup language doesn't count? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]</font>

It's possible to be a scripting language and a programming language at the same time.
2004-06-02, 5:12 PM #37
As long as you say it's true it must be.
2004-06-02, 5:38 PM #38
Favor: VB6
Detest: PASCAL <----- Death to it!

------------------
Multiplayer Game Alias: II88BlackOps
UT2k4 is awesome!
Corrupted Paths, my dead WIP for JA. Screens here: http://imagebase.freewebspace.com/photo.html

My quote: "People choose to side with the left, and the others choose to side with the right. I go forward."
2004-06-02, 6:42 PM #39
Quote:
Can I change my vote? Yeah, Im gonna have to change my most hated language to PYTHON...

</font>

WHAT!!?? BLASPHEMY! Kill the infidel!
:-P

But seriously, I'm really digging Python. The and or trick is particularly nice. I suppose you could do it in other languages, but I haven't really seen an implementation of it. I also like how it simulates real language more than other programming languages. I like keywords like is and in etc.

------------------

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-06-02, 7:25 PM #40
Fav ... PHP, damn straight.

Least fav .. no idea. TI83 BASIC?

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[1337 FRNDS_Pommy | 3.14 of 14 | » And-GTx2]
Half-Life 2 Central - your definitive source for everything HL2!
一个大西瓜

↑ Up to the top!