Thread: X vs Y or Y vs X?

RAGNA ANGARY

X vs Y or Y vs X?

Just a simple question:

When someone asks you to plot something A vs B, is A on the x-axis or on the y-axis?

Admiral of Awesome
    A vs. B

A = y axis, B = x axis

ie. Graph temperature vs. time

Well, simple logic would assign A-->X B--Y because of relative positions within the alphabet. So I'd do that.

Edit: Though, since Joncy usually seems right in these instances, I'll agree blindly with what he says and assume I'm wrong.
    -=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
    1337Yectiwan
    The OSC Empire
    10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

RAGNA ANGARY
    Quote Originally Posted by Yecti View Post
    Well, simple logic would assign A-->X B--Y because of relative positions within the alphabet. So I'd do that.

Edit: Though, since Joncy usually seems right in these instances, I'll agree blindly with what he says and assume I'm wrong.
    yeah, A and B were arbitrarily chosen... think you missed the point of the question

RAGNA ANGARY
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    A vs. B

A = y axis, B = x axis

thankyouse

Yeah, A vs. B = "A when B is ..." implying that A is on the vertical and B is on the horizontal if vertical is dependent
    一个大西瓜

aka Vincent Valentine
    Fancy Pants

Yeah, it would depend on what A and B represent. The independent variable goes on the x axis. The dependent variable goes on the y.
    This city is dying of rabies. Is the best I can do to wipe random flecks of foam from its lips?

RAGNA ANGARY
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Valentine View Post
    Yeah, it would depend on what A and B represent. The independent variable goes on the x axis. The dependent variable goes on the y.
    it's not always clear though, which variable is independent. for example, stress vs. strain

Well... As it`s most comfy, I guess?

If you can express one through another, then it would be useful to use expressed one for Y, and expressing - for X.

(Like, if you can express it like A=1/B, for example, then it would be comfy to use Y for A, and X for B.)

It`s generally dictated solely by relative comfort of use.
    I don`t suffer from the lack of sanity.
    It`s others, who have it in excess.

Admiral of Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    ok

if a change in time results in a change of temperature (temperature is the dependent variable and time is the independent variable, or T = f(t) which can also be expressed as y = f(x) )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tempvtime.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	15675  

Didn't get to Paris
    Is Nanodave pronounced "nano-dayv" or "nano-dawvay"?
    Ban Jin!
    Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus

Admiral of Awesome
    just some guy named dave

The Super-Spy That Wasn't
    Like Jon`C said, just replace "vs." with "as a function of." The independent variable goes on the horizontal axis, so problem solved.
    "Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."