Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → KOTF: Real or Fake?
KOTF: Real or Fake?
2007-06-11, 2:10 PM #1
http://www.kotf.com/

For those who don't know. It's a TC for JKA that looks quite impressive (all major battles from the SW Saga being playable in single player, new features, etc.)

For those who are familiar with this mod: What do you think?

Anyway, apparently there's a debate going on in the JKA modding community dealing with whether it's a real mod or fake.

It was summed up on the Filefront forums by a moderator there pretty well:

Quote:
Points presented by those who believe KotF is not real:
- Many of the things the mod claims to do (AI modification; non-humanoid player character types; higher NPC/saber/vehicle/map limits than baseJKA; playing as multiple characters on one stage and switching between them; etc) are simply not possible, as you cannot do them without the singleplayer source code - which has never been released to anyone outside of Raven Software or LucasArts' dev teams.
- There's no irrefutable evidence to prove that KotF is real, and what evidence has been given doesn't show anything that couldn't have been faked.
- The concerns of those dubious over the mod's existence have not been dispelled by KotF's supporters, and in many cases they merely avoid the question entirely. KotF's forums are moderated in a way where it is not allowed for anyone to express these doubts and ask for a resolution to them, even if they do it in the most polite way possible. This leads some people to believe that these questions/concerns are avoided because they cannot be resolved.
- Materials provided (demo, screenshots and trailer) do not provide any definitive proof, as they could easily be reproduced by many people within the community with no modding done at all (using baseJKA).
- While the demo does things baseJKA never did, it did not utilise any features which weren't present and entirely usable in baseJKA. The only difference is that Raven Software did not use them, rather than that they did not exist until KotF came along.
- Regardless of the length of the trailer, it still doesn't show anything that isn't perfectly possible within baseJKA or that would need modding in.
- The screenshots again could easily have been made in baseJKA. People make screenshots like that for JKFiles PotD every day! The ones that weren't taken from baseJKA could have easily been Photoshopped. Screenshots are never good proof of anything.
- "If the mod really is real, why are the KotF supporters acting like desperate fanatics, making a drama out of this to convince everyone?" {Quoted from a deleted post earlier in the thread.}

Points presented by KotF supporters:
- The mod has gained extensive media coverage.
- The demo does stuff baseJKA doesn't do.
- The trailer is 37 minutes long.
- What about all those screenshots?
- Permissions were gained for all of the resources used in KotF.

On the issue of "Is it a scam?":
NO - Without those donations Tim wouldn't have had a good enough PC to finish KotF, he improved the engine that much!
YES - He did not improve the engine at all, simply because it is not possible to do so. Singleplayer source code was never released, and the Multiplayer SDK does not give the ability to modify the game engine, only basic mechanics.
NO - His older PC couldn't run 3DS Max or GtkRadiant. He needed to upgrade so that we could get the mod?
YES - 3DS Max 8 and GtkRadiant 1.5.0 have incredibly low system requirements. Also, since Tim didn't make any of the maps or models or skins included, he didn't even need to use Radiant, 3DS Max or Photoshop.
NO - The donations kept the website online. Without them he wouldn't have been able to afford it!
YES - That's just an excuse. Web hosting on average costs less than $10 a month for premium plans, even in Turkey.

Reasons why this mod is now considered a violation of network policies:
- Profit has been made from it. As much as KotF supporters like to argue that "it's not illegal because it's optional and he's not selling the mod", they are sadly incorrect. Money may not be made from any element of a mod project in any way shape or form - be it the website, game servers, computer upgrades, or anything else. It's clearly stated in LucasArt's policies.
- If the mod is indeed real, then it has been made using illegally reverse-engineered components of the game engine, as that is the only way Tim could have possibly gotten the source code needed to do many of the things this mod claims to have done. Hence why I labelled it "warez", since decompilation of software is a warez topic, something expressly forbidden under our forum guidelines and the FileFront Acceptable Use Policy.
- I've emailed the creators of a good percentage of the resources used for KotF, and according to them permissions have not been obtained, and no attempt was ever made to get permissions. This makes it outright theft - a violation of the Plagiarism Policy which we enforce in order to protect the rights of modders.
- It is also theft of intellectual property, as labelled under the FileFront Acceptable Use Policy.
- If KotF is real and it's claim to "run seperately from Jedi Academy" is true, then it is in direct violation of not only the End User License Agreement but also the LucasArts Modding Policy.

Reasons why I am now closing this thread:
- Everything under the "Reasons why this mod is now considered a violation of network policy" heading.
- Nothing new is being added to the discussion, we're just retreading the same old points and it's doing nothing more than adding people's post counts.
- This project has been confirmed to be in violation of several United States laws in correspondence with LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC's legal affairs department. Whether they will carry out legal proceedings or not, I do not know, and will not know as they are forbidden to tell us under some inane privacy act I've never even heard of. However, these forums follow United States law just as much as they follow the word of the administrators.
- It's beginning to create a sort of "civil war" within the community because some individuals are beginning to create a soap opera out of it. I really should have expected people to dramatise such a trivial matter, but I guess I trusted the better judgement of the human species on this one.

I've referenced several documents, which you can read by clicking the following links:
FileFront Acceptable Use Policy
Ziff Davis Media Terms of Use
LucasArts Modding Policy (JKFiles)
FileFront Forum Guidelines

Copies of the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy End User License Agreement are available on request, by emailing me. Alternately, you can find it in the back page of the manual (if your copy of the game came with one). I'll add the EULA into a document on JKFiles tomorrow for reference.

I can assure everyone that this is not a crusade, and none of us have anything against the KotF supporters on a personal level.

I'd also rather like to address some of the personal comments directed at me from the KotF forums, but I shall refrain as it obviously won't get through. However, for those people who did aim comments at me, let me say the following:

I will gracefully concede on any topic, if you can back up your words with enough evidence to prove that I am wrong.

Remember one thing, everyone. Your opinion is yours, and yours alone. Take whichever side of the debate you believe to be right, however I ask only one thing before you do: don't go purely by what is said. Even in a court of law, words are not enough to make a conviction stand.

Before deciding who is right and who is wrong, I ask that you look at the evidence (or in some cases the lack of it), and the crediting/discrediting of any evidence, presented by both sides of the debate.

Anyway, I'm now locking this thread after deliberation between (and advice from) several other forum/network staff members and myself. Consensus was that the topic has pretty much gone full circle and is now running over it's own tail repeatedly, and could get nasty if allowed to continue. This was not a decision I took myself - I consulted several other staff members unaffiliated with JKFiles to have a look and give me their feedback.

If you believe I am acting wrongfully in locking the topic, then please contact n0e and ask him to discuss this matter with me so that I may present him with all the information from both sides of the debate and allow him to make the final judgement.

Personally, I hope the mod is real because I think it looks pretty good. There's even a demo for it, but unfortunately it seems that there is quite a lot of evidence that shows that it could be fake.
2007-06-11, 2:29 PM #2
Haha, whoever made all of those claims is loopy. There was a beta, we have one of the members of the team on this forum... it just doesn't make sense why they'd show all of this and it be a "hoax." That's just stupid.

And JKA is the most annoying term for JA I've ever heard. It's not JKAMP. It's JAMP.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-11, 2:41 PM #3
If I recall, that mod is nothing more than a bunch of models compiled from other authors, combined with animations done by other authors. BS was called, and now they're back to square one being forced to build their own content.
2007-06-11, 2:42 PM #4
I remember, years ago, the man who started this exact mod came to Massassi under the alias "TimFX".

He was kicked out of this community because, when this KOTF mod started, it just stole people's work, including numerous maps and models. And when I mean stole, he imported people's stuff into this mod and gave no credit.

I'm not sure if he does that anymore, probably not. But I don't care enough to find out. It seemed like just a mega-collection of people's work, and it looks no different today.

Screw him.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-06-11, 2:52 PM #5
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Haha, whoever made all of those claims is loopy. There was a beta, we have one of the members of the team on this forum... it just doesn't make sense why they'd show all of this and it be a "hoax." That's just stupid.

We do? Who?
2007-06-11, 3:07 PM #6
I have to admit my first thoughts would be Echoman or Emon.

Piggot?
nope.
2007-06-11, 3:09 PM #7
Quote:
- The trailer is 37 minutes long.

What?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-06-11, 3:20 PM #8
Quote:
And JKA is the most annoying term for JA I've ever heard. It's not JKAMP. It's JAMP.

Pardon moi

And to the above, there is a 37 minute trailer for the mod now, it can be found on moddb
2007-06-11, 3:27 PM #9
Maybe I'm remembering a different mod, but Emon was on this mod I thought? AFTER all of the theft stuff, that is.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-11, 3:32 PM #10
I think that was OJP.
nope.
2007-06-11, 3:42 PM #11
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Maybe I'm remembering a different mod, but Emon was on this mod I thought? AFTER all of the theft stuff, that is.

I think he was on Dark Forces Mod, if I recall. You might be thinking that, seeing they released a demo awhile ago.

But Dark Forces mod never stole anything. They created all their content, like a good mod should.

Originally posted by Baconfish:
Piggot?

From I remember, Piggot didn't do too much into JA editing. Only thing he did for JA was a SP level involving Vader, which was sadly left unfinished. I have a beta version of it and it's quite excellent. I hope he appears out of nowhere and decide to finish it.
2007-06-11, 5:03 PM #12
I don't see anything wrong with borrowing some models and maps. Some models are just hard to top like Yoda, Vader, Obi-Wan, and Grievous. Of course they should always give credit to the original authors. I hope this mod is real as I would love to be play to play through the entire Star Wars saga in single player.
2007-06-11, 5:59 PM #13
No, the moment your 'work' revolves entirely around presenting other people's stuff, you've simply got to have explicit permission. If he needed it as an optional extra, he could've just provided download links.

EDIT: After watching the trailer twice: There's nothing there that can't be done with custom maps/models, an admin mod, and a lot of free time. As for the SP 'features', those are rather simple menu edits to adjust some cvars. It's complete bull****, to see how much attention this is getting.
2007-06-11, 9:49 PM #14
All that aside, I saw the trailer and, well, it looks pretty neat.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-12, 2:20 AM #15
Quote:
KotF is completely free. You will be able to download this 4 year work project from the internet or get it from various international gamer magazines' DVDs.

Well, I doubt that gamer magazine dvds part is going to happen. It might be a bit too delicate for them to risk any infringements. It's a different matter with lone maps that contain no third party stuff, but with a multi-giga collection like this... Nah.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-06-12, 3:26 AM #16
I was sold at the moment the trailer told me "Get your Jedi Academy cds back, or reorder them".

:rolleyes:
nope.
2007-06-12, 8:50 AM #17
It's really it's just one of those ambitious TCs that do not. ever. get. done. They start of with lots of promises, but then the team members lose interest, and it just sort of dwindles for years and years until the site is finally taken off line, five years later.

A lot of the features that he said were impossible are completely possible some even with simple in game console commands. I think all of them have been in some mods at one point or another.

Also, I'm surprised that there still is a JKA editing community.
2007-06-12, 8:59 AM #18
And once again Obi_Kwiet is here to bless us with his amazing knowledge of all things computer and internet. Thanks bud, we knew you had it in you.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-12, 9:06 AM #19
There are tonnes of mods that have raised the vehicle limit, and you can control other characters by simply using level 10 force persuade. I'm pretty sure that that could at least crudely be implement. I'm not really sure about the rest of the stuff, and it's been a long time sine I've used JA, but just see those two on there raises my suspicions.
2007-06-12, 9:08 AM #20
I just find it funny that you discredit the mod for being an ambitious tc. Many people have already stated that this guy didn't create much of the content. It looks pretty cool to me.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-12, 9:15 AM #21
There's still a ton of stuff that they'd have had to do themselves. I don't know maybe it will come out. It has lasted for this long after all.
2007-06-12, 1:48 PM #22
i dont see why anyone would ever want to make a mod or TC on jedi academy.
2007-06-12, 1:58 PM #23
C'mon people. JA isn't that bad. I still enjoy the MP, even with the whiney 12 year olds.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-06-12, 3:11 PM #24
OH ****, THERE GOES THE SARCASM METER

And Obi; /playermodel.
2007-06-12, 3:46 PM #25
Originally posted by petmc20:
C'mon people. JA isn't that bad. I still enjoy the MP, even with the whiney 12 year olds.

I dunno what's more fun: Alt attack or backwards jump sideswing.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-12, 8:12 PM #26
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Also, I'm surprised that there still is a JKA editing community.

You say this as a member of the Massassi Temple forums. There's kind of still a JK:DF2 editing community if you count this forum at least. The game is nearly 10 years old now. I find that much more surprising.

Anyway, they claimed that the mod is supposed to come out this week, so we shall see if they're full of **** of course.
2007-06-12, 8:20 PM #27
It's not that surprising because even JK was a far better editing platform than JA. I think part of JK's success was the way it loaded resources. You can embed code in levels, in JA you would need a new DLL and run it as its own mod just to have like, a new type of elevator. Totally retarded.

I was on the OJP and DF mod teams, never this one.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-12, 9:53 PM #28
yeah JK did have awesome editing abilities. (Hell even I attempted to make a few levels, and posted a crappy one on Massassi, although the last one I worked on was actually coming out well but I abandoned it)

JA is quite a fun game though
2007-06-13, 6:28 AM #29
I might acquire JKA if this turns out to be as cool as it could be.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-06-13, 8:29 AM #30
Hmm their site just went down today. Perhaps that's his way of avoiding dealing with it still being unreleased during the second week of June.
2007-06-13, 8:37 AM #31
Half of the screenshots were linked to not found page as it was, so I'm not surprised if the whole thing went down.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-06-13, 9:59 AM #32
JEDI ACADEMY!!!! AAAARG
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-14, 5:20 PM #33
I played the demo and wasnt that impressed the bonus level or 2nd what ever where you play as obi wan and have to fight the troopers seemed really... incomplete to me the voices seemed out of place at time....

it aint gonna happen its one big scam me thinks :rolleyes:

which is a shame cause i was looking for some good models for JA like all the movie characters ect. but its so hard to find all of them and ones that look good so i kinda gave up
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2007-06-14, 6:18 PM #34
Well I'm going to go ahead and guess that if it doesn't come out by Tuesday or so, it's a scam.
2007-06-14, 6:25 PM #35
I looked on their very active forums, and it looks like all they're waiting for are the Turkish to English translation from this one guy. If it's a scam they've certainly done a good PR job. Honestly if it was just a scam I don't think they would have ever let it get this close to the release. They probably would have just delayed it and delayed it until everyone forgot about it. I'd bet anything its real, maybe not all they cracked it up to be, but definitely real.
2007-06-15, 8:49 AM #36
It's real allright, but it's bloody worthless, and nowhere near what it says it is.
2007-06-15, 9:45 AM #37
That's what I thought. Basically a collection of other people's maps and models with a pretty install menu, and poorly implemented features? Have they gotten around to giving the original author's credit? I know a lot of your work is in there, GothiX.
2007-06-15, 1:20 PM #38
Originally posted by Verticae:
It's real allright

Real stolen.
2007-06-15, 4:07 PM #39
Fake?? :tinfoil:

2007-06-16, 1:45 PM #40
Real appropriate music choice for their web page: Final Countdown techno remix.

lol @ Turkey

↑ Up to the top!