Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hand gestures during conversations. Alright?
Hand gestures during conversations. Alright?
2007-09-10, 5:37 PM #1
Doing hand gestures when talking to a group of people is common, and I think that's fine (as long as it's not overboard). I use hand motions during presentations/critiques to other students to really state key concepts, and usually these presentations require showing something of importance so using hands is sorta required. But what about one-on-one conversations, do you think hand gestures are bad or fine when it comes to private talks?

Personally, people relying on hand gestures when talking to me comes across as somewhat annoying. The only real exceptions where using hands as a visual aid to what is being said is fine are when something technical (such as driving directions) or very physically discriptive (such as a piece of artwork) is being discuseed. Besides that, I tend to think the use of hand gestures in this scenario comes off as a sign of poor conversation skills. There are very few people I know who actually use hand gestures when talking on the phone, I'm guessing that moving hands helps these people when speaking dispite the person at the receiving end will never know. I find that kinda ...weird.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-09-10, 5:40 PM #2
Meh.

wtf does it matter
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-09-10, 5:44 PM #3
It can, if it comes down to a job interview or something similiar.
2007-09-10, 6:01 PM #4
I gesture a lot. My arms are always flailing around when I tell a story about me being dumb and the like, so I can't say I particularly mind them :P
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2007-09-10, 6:09 PM #5
I hand gesture a LOT. How could it mean poor conversation skills when it's entertaining and keeps the people focused on what you have to say?
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-09-10, 6:15 PM #6
If it's for entertainment purposes, then yeah it's all good. But if someone can't keep their focus in a one-to-one conversation when talked to and need hands then I guess they have issues.
2007-09-10, 6:18 PM #7
Don't get into a conversation with mb. He flies his arms around all the time.

(I talk with my hands too)
2007-09-10, 6:19 PM #8
I'm not like Stan, but I generally use my hands to convey a feeling of "God! I give up!" a lot.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-09-10, 6:23 PM #9
93% of communication is non-verbal.

:p
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-09-10, 6:29 PM #10
I gesture a lot... but thats cause Im italian (MY HERITAGE SHUT UP OR ILL BAN YOU) and thats what italians do.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-09-10, 6:34 PM #11
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
93% of communication is non-verbal.

:p

What he said.
Warhead[97]
2007-09-10, 6:36 PM #12
Originally posted by mb:
I gesture a lot... but thats cause Im italian (MY HERITAGE SHUT UP OR ILL BAN YOU) and thats what italians do.

Can I make fun of you and say my heritage is built upon making fun of people. You can't ban for that!
2007-09-10, 6:45 PM #13
Originally posted by mb:

yeah we mock Italians all the time because they go stupid crazy with their gestures.

exercise some control over your ****ing elbows dude.
2007-09-10, 6:46 PM #14
I do have poor conversation skills and I talk with my hands often.
It really depends on the situation but in casual conversations I almost always use my hands to some degree.
I usualy do it because I frequently forget what I'm trying to say or just loose whatever word I was looking for and spend a few moments moving my hands around to make sure the people I'm talking to know that I'm thinking rather than just gone completely braindead.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-09-10, 7:43 PM #15
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:
yeah we mock Italians all the time because they go stupid crazy with their gestures.

exercise some control over your ****ing elbows dude.

Actually I was just making that note because baconfish likes to tell me im not allowed to say my heritage is italian because I live in the states. or something
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-09-10, 7:50 PM #16
Totally dependent on what you are saying and who you are talking to.

If that person makes lots of hand gestures, I will probably do the same.

I mean, come on, do you people not know how to communicate with people? You vary your method.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-09-10, 7:55 PM #17
Also, due to the fact that I live among other humans, I tend to overuse *facepalm*
2007-09-10, 8:10 PM #18
This thread should really be asking whether hand gestures are appropriate for phone conversations.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2007-09-10, 8:13 PM #19
Originally posted by Bobbert:
This thread should really be asking whether hand gestures are appropriate for phone conversations.

It's ****ing hilarious to watching people flail all over the place in their cars.

Hahahah.
2007-09-10, 8:17 PM #20
Mentally your hands do a lot to how you think.

Believe it or not (fellow choir people can back me up on this), using your hand to go up/down the scale while singing makes it much easier. It seems so simple and basic, but the visual and physical cue really does a lot.
2007-09-10, 9:46 PM #21
Hand gestures are almost never conscious and are an effective way of supplementing verbal communication. Echoman loses. :colbert:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-09-10, 9:49 PM #22
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

Believe it or not (fellow choir people can back me up on this), using your hand to go up/down the scale while singing makes it much easier. It seems so simple and basic, but the visual and physical cue really does a lot.

god damn ****ing solfege hand symbols.

I never learned them and now I'm all befuddled with them.
2007-09-10, 9:51 PM #23
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

2007-09-10, 9:58 PM #24
Originally posted by Emon:
Hand gestures are almost never conscious and are an effective way of supplementing verbal communication. Echoman loses. :colbert:

I'm not a mean grouch, and I don't lash out when people don't turn their hands into dead weights. If it's a simple discussion, let's say about an event during driving, it's not necessary to make a hands-on-sterring-wheel visual aid for the comment "so I was driving down the road when..." Or bobbing hands when talking about a recent happening. Not needed! :colbert:
2007-09-10, 10:17 PM #25
I do most of my hand gesturing when I'm on the phone. As if pointing in a specific direction can make all the difference to someone who can't see me. :P
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2007-09-10, 10:21 PM #26
I can think of a fun hand gesture...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-09-10, 10:23 PM #27
Yeah, a close conversation with Jill I see. :v:
2007-09-10, 11:41 PM #28
I talk with my hands all the time. Added to which my amazing communication skills (I thank you) were apparently the edge in landing me my job.

:neckbeard:
2007-09-10, 11:43 PM #29
Hand gestures during conversations must be one of the few million insanely trivial things people for some shallow reason pay attention to.

That said, I wish I could actually do some hand gestures during a conversation instead of suddenly doing autistic things like piling up magnets or something. Geez.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-09-11, 12:02 AM #30
That Family Guy clip pissed me off.
2007-09-11, 11:42 AM #31
Originally posted by mb:
Actually I was just making that note because baconfish likes to tell me im not allowed to say my heritage is italian because I live in the states. or something

You're not an Italian. :P
nope.
2007-09-11, 11:44 AM #32
its annoying when theres a public speaker or someone on stage making the same repetitive movements, but if the movement has some sort of symbolism to the subject it makes it better.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"

↑ Up to the top!