Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Russians apparently don't need heat shields
Russians apparently don't need heat shields
2008-04-26, 7:32 PM #1
http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=81911988-DF01-C3DF-FA0B5EE67C5111C9

Quote:
Iowa astronaut Peggy Whitson is downplaying reports she and her crew were nearly killed during last weekend's fiery return to earth aboard a Russian space capsule.

The Soyuz came down hatch-first, not using the heat shield on its belly, and fell at a very steep angle, subjecting the crew to extreme G-forces which Whitson calls "dramatic," at more than eight times the pull of gravity.

--

They landed nearly 300 miles off-target in Kazakhstan. She says: "It wasn't the search and rescue who got us out of the capsule. It was just some guys that had seen it and drove in. They probably saw the fire and drove in toward the scene." The Beaconsfield native says her first breath of fresh air after being on the space station for six months wasn't exactly fresh. "There was a little bit of a burning odor," Whitson says, laughing. "What was nice was feeling the winds on my face and actually, I heard some birds, so that was kind of surprising."

We **** ourselves every time we think there might be a scratch on our precious tiles and the Russians are pulling re-entry on a steep angle with their hatch?

(I know there are significant engineering differences between the Space Shuttle and a Soyuz capsule.)
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-04-26, 8:19 PM #2
Well we did sorta have a shuttle explode right off the launch pad, so NASA was sorta expected to be a bit more careful, if only for public approval.

2008-04-26, 8:22 PM #3
everyone elses design: works within specified limits

russian design: works.
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-04-26, 8:47 PM #4
Russia takes a more ghetto "get-er-done" approach to the frontiers of technology.
2008-04-26, 9:47 PM #5
Nasa- thousands of $$$ on research for a space pen
Russians- Pencil
2008-04-26, 10:02 PM #6
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Russians- Pencil

*sigh*
The space pen was marketed to NASA and was developed by a third party business. Pencils unfortunately have the risk of leaving bits of graphite/broken pencil tip floating about inside the craft which could short a circuit if they land in the wrong place or simply get in an astronauts eye.
2008-04-26, 10:04 PM #7
They landed in boratland.
2008-04-26, 10:15 PM #8
"American components, Russian components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-04-26, 10:37 PM #9
Russians- Pencil

YOU ARE WRONG SIR
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-26, 11:06 PM #10
Originally posted by Recusant:
*sigh*
The space pen was marketed to NASA and was developed by a third party business. Pencils unfortunately have the risk of leaving bits of graphite/broken pencil tip floating about inside the craft which could short a circuit if they land in the wrong place or simply get in an astronauts eye.

This just in: Exposed electronics are bad, news at 11.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-04-26, 11:09 PM #11
*sigh*

INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUISNESS
2008-04-26, 11:10 PM #12
Crying out "serious business" doesn't make you any less wrong.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-26, 11:11 PM #13
INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUISNESS

Get out of my thread.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-04-26, 11:16 PM #14
get off my internet

o.0
2008-04-26, 11:24 PM #15
Guys the pen-pencil thing is basicly the perfect metaphor for the whole Russian vs NASA space tech. Stop going overboard.
2008-04-26, 11:25 PM #16
Er, but it's a flawed analogy, because the Russians didn't have simpler, more effective technology. If I recall correctly, they had many disasters resulting from lack of funding, poor engineering, etc.
2008-04-26, 11:32 PM #17
Please explain this analogy and exactly how it works.
2008-04-26, 11:50 PM #18
It was a joke by some stand-up comedian, get over it, sheesh.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-04-27, 3:39 AM #19
Originally posted by Emon:
Er, but it's a flawed analogy, because the Russians didn't have simpler, more effective technology. If I recall correctly, they had many disasters resulting from lack of funding, poor engineering, etc.

No ****, NASA has had 4 massive failures, Apollo 1, Apollo 13, Challenger, and Columbia (5 if you really want to count Sky Lab), one incident was not in space and actually saved the lives of countless astronauts on both side of the Iron Curtain during the golden years of space travel, one that resulted in no fatalities, and two that set the U.S.'s space fatality rate at the highest simply because seven people died in each crew. The Soviets hid their initial ****-ups, and have only declared a handful of failures, mostly Soyuz 1 and 11, and stole most of their designs (and really, this isn't limited to their space program) yet somehow they go down in history as being the country to simply "just make their stuff so it works."
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-04-27, 7:07 AM #20
*sigh*

You can get pens like this through magazines.

They're pretty awesome. I mostly like that it won't melt in my pocket when it's 102 degrees, and will work when it's 5 degrees outside too.
2008-04-27, 7:40 AM #21
I have a space pen. It really is pretty awesome.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-04-27, 12:26 PM #22
If the russian space program is so amazing, why didn't they go to the moon? Oh. Because it's not.
Warhead[97]
2008-04-27, 12:48 PM #23
Russians don't need a moon, they have Siberia.
2008-04-27, 1:16 PM #24
Siberia is nothing like the moon. You don't make sense.
2008-04-27, 1:58 PM #25
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
If the russian space program is so amazing, why didn't they go to the moon? Oh. Because it's not.

Yeah man... it's not like they ever sent a satellite into space first.

Oh who am I kidding - God's Chosen People would have done it anyway, ladies and gentlemen, I GIVE YOU AMERICA!

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/emot-burger.gif]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-04-27, 2:02 PM #26
Why do nerds love russia so much?
Warhead[97]
2008-04-27, 2:05 PM #27
Why do nerds get so angry on the internet? All the time?
Warhead[97]
2008-04-27, 2:06 PM #28
Because in Soviet Russia, space explores you!

or something...
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-04-27, 2:07 PM #29
Were you kicked out of #massassi or something? :confused:
2008-04-27, 2:08 PM #30
You're acting like russia is this bastion of common sense and efficiency, and their space program was way more effective than ours. It wasn't. It's impressive, sure, but so is ours...and ours was technically more effective because we went to the moon.

Oh ****, I just realized I'm talking to Fastgamerr. Sorry, everyone, lapse in judgement, I didn't realize.

Sorry for making a simple comment.
Warhead[97]
2008-04-27, 2:11 PM #31
Originally posted by Roach:
and stole most of their designs (and really, this isn't limited to their space program)

pot calling the kettle black

in this case the kettle is silver... the soviets already had the early beginnings of a space program going prior to WW2

we had jack crap until after sneaking german scientists into the states after WW2

we still won...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-04-27, 2:16 PM #32
They both had proper funding. The whole point of the space race was to show off who had the better nuke delivery capabilities.
2008-04-27, 4:09 PM #33
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Why do nerds love russia so much?

Yeah I don't get this as well. Moreso Soviet Union crap. It's dead, people!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-04-27, 4:28 PM #34
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Yeah I don't get this as well. Moreso Soviet Union crap. It's dead, people!

Never! http://stalin.su/
(the .su tld is still alive, for some reason)
2008-04-27, 5:57 PM #35
Originally posted by Commander 598:
Get out of my thread.

And into my car! >_>
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-04-27, 7:42 PM #36
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Please explain this analogy and exactly how it works.

well... analogy can basically be broken down into two different words...

ANAL. and OGY. see Anal-Ogy... oh wait this is all wong! :psyduck:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2008-04-28, 1:47 AM #37
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
pot calling the kettle black

in this case the kettle is silver... the soviets already had the early beginnings of a space program going prior to WW2

we had jack crap until after sneaking german scientists into the states after WW2

we still won...

If the Kettle is silver then the pot is copper. I wouldn't exactly call giving german scientists nice cushy jobs in exchange for their knowledge of rocketry "stealing their designs," I'd call it "buying the designs directly from the source." Throwing a man into a room and putting a gun to his head on the other hand...
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-04-28, 1:58 AM #38
I'm not sure if FGR hates America or is just stupid. If he hates America, the irony would be so thick that you could scrape it off with a spatula. I say this because many, many aspects of his life and existence, including making stupid posts, are the result of innovations by Americans.
2008-04-28, 2:16 AM #39
Even if you're just being stupid, you're also being needlessly annoying. Enough.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-04-28, 7:58 AM #40
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/scream2.gif]

That's very posh of you mr. Could-you-remove-that-one-pic-since-I-won't-do-it-myself-Joseph!

Play Planescape Torment
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!