Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 on Facebook.
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 on Facebook.
2010-03-19, 10:19 AM #1
Yo guys, its been quite a while... I tried logging in as my old username, "DjDTM" but it was banned for (no specific reason) with a lift of never...

Oh well, anyways...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jedi-Knight-Dark-Forces-2/105629802793583

I created a facebook fan page for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, it was only a matter of time before someone did. Maybe we can get the JK community thriving again?

If you guys haven't sheltered yourself from the rest of the internet and actually have a facebook. The entire JK Community welcomes you to join.

Also if you want admin access, just let me know. :)

I hope that you guys suggest it to all your friends on facebook. I'd just like to see more activity within the community I practically grew up with.
2010-03-19, 10:26 AM #2
People really need to let that old game die. >.< It never was that good to begin with.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2010-03-19, 10:27 AM #3
It's the game that got me into web design, which is what I'm currently making money doing running my own businesses doing it.

I owe my life to Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2.

Besides, I don't think JKDF2 is ever going to die, as long as there is massassi, jkhub and jkdf2.net in operations with even a couple MONTHLY visitors.

Humans have memory and so does the Internet.
2010-03-19, 10:34 AM #4
Your ban might have to do with you being a complete ass the last time you posted. A facebook group is not going to jumpstart the community (especially when the main site for the group (jkdf2.net) is for some content-less site run by a community who has been known to aggressively troll and spam). I'd argue that the vast majority of the "JK" community worth talking to already exists between here at Massassi and JKHub.

Also, when your main site is just a theme off of tumbler with a pixelated BG, it doesn't put forth a strong web portfolio. >.>
2010-03-19, 10:43 AM #5
I think I was banned because someone had a grudge about sith mercenaries, and I am a part of that clan. I never really posted anything here anyway.

You may be right about JKDF2.net, but that doesn't mean the game sucks. Anyone knows as well as I do how easy the engine is to work with and modify, giving tons of potential to help anyone interested in a career in ANYTHING design related.

You're either with the JK community or against it. I'm not only trying to unite everyone who once enjoyed playing and modifying a game, because that already is seeming to fail because of pessimists like you, Cool Matty. I'm just trying to bring to the light of the internet a game that once had a thriving community of players and modders.

And about my "main site". There's a story that goes on about it. It involves spending all of my time working on other people's websites and not enough on my own (from 2006 - Now). Real world networking works a lot better than virtual networking. Because I do care about what another person within the JK Community has to say, I'd offer to show you the hundreds of designs for the hundreds of businesses I've done them for.
2010-03-19, 10:49 AM #6
Haha, this guy is funny. Can we keep him?
2010-03-19, 10:53 AM #7
Steven, no you can't keep me.

All I wanted to do was come to Massassi, the one place that gave me an opportunity to express my creativity through the modification of my favorite game, and offer the community something in return.

Admin access to the first fan page created for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 on the biggest social network on the Internet.

There's obviously SOME REASON that Massassi still exists (with all of its jkdf2 files still downloadable), the same reason why JKHUB.net still exists, and the SAME REASON why jkdf2.net still exists.

That's all I came here for.

Besides, this is the most activity I've seen of all 3 threads I started on each of those websites...
2010-03-19, 10:55 AM #8
Never stop posting.
2010-03-19, 10:59 AM #9
If I can't bring the JK community to the rest of the Internet. Then I'll just bring the rest of the Internet to the JK community.

Just try not to ban all the new users I bring.

And a little bit of media coverage for the longest living online video game community, if thats cool with you all?
2010-03-19, 11:09 AM #10
yeah, you do that
2010-03-19, 11:12 AM #11
We'd better brace ourselves for the massive influx of new users we get. Just like when the game was released on Steam.

Thank you, Mighty One, for your generous blessings!
2010-03-19, 11:12 AM #12
Just as cold as I remembered it.

Well my email is dan@djdtm.com

Aim: DjDTM3k

Phone Number: (269)267-9203

If you're sincerely interested in HELPING the jedi knight: dark forces 2 community. Let me know.
2010-03-19, 11:14 AM #13
Why would you post your phone number on the internet?

2010-03-19, 11:16 AM #14
Because I stopped being afraid of the Internet. :P
2010-03-19, 11:23 AM #15
Sweet, everyone call about cats for sale! :D
2010-03-19, 11:29 AM #16
Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing!
2010-03-19, 11:29 AM #17
Let me rephrase.

I am no longer intimidated by the endless growth potential of using the Internet the right way.

I'll keep you guys updated as I continue to do this alone...
2010-03-19, 11:30 AM #18
No thanks, we're good, but you have fun
2010-03-19, 11:31 AM #19
On a more serious note, there are so many better, more evolved games out there that it just makes no sense to cling to some ancient game, except for a little nostalgia. Even then, nostalgia doesn't hold up to the reality of just how dated and simplistic it is.
2010-03-19, 11:34 AM #20
Let's turn this thread into something useful:

What games are you looking forward to IN TEH FUTURES?

The Splinter Cell: Conviction demo was pretty badass. Looking forward to that. Also looking forward to playing some Perfect Dark with my buddies tonight.
2010-03-19, 11:36 AM #21
Thats the thing though, before the internet, nostalgia used to be of experiences that could not- be experienced again . If you have nostalgia over something ON the internet or accessible THROUGH the internet, than its much easier experience again.

All I'm saying is consider helping, think outside your monitor. I've never seen so much pessimism from any Internet based community, ever.
2010-03-19, 11:41 AM #22
Originally posted by Dan:
It's the game that got me into web design, which is what I'm currently making money doing running my own businesses doing it.

Ha, me too! I've made a clan web page back in the day and took to liking making websites. It's only an additional (very insubstantial) income source for me, but JK was the catalyst.
幻術
2010-03-19, 11:42 AM #23
I've never seen so much pessimism from any Internet based community, ever.

Its called being realistic.
2010-03-19, 11:45 AM #24
All I'm saying is consider helping, think outside your monitor.

Think outside your monitor by joining my online facebook page on internets to support a 12.5 year old computer game!
2010-03-19, 11:48 AM #25
I have nothing else to say.
2010-03-19, 11:56 AM #26
About time.
2010-03-19, 11:58 AM #27
Splinter Cell is definately looking good. I really like the change in pace, though I've yet to try it out. I'm on the last stretch of God of War 2 tonight, my try it out afterwards!
2010-03-19, 12:06 PM #28
I like how he insults CM, the person keeping Massassi alive. Massassi, the biggest and best JK dedication site of the game's history.

Sure, the game is dead, and it sucks now (fun for nostalgia now and then). But there's no point in trying to bring it back. Unless you make a Unreal 3 mod that's better than Jedi Academy and remakes the entire game of JK2, then we're never going to change.

The game was good, it created this place, this... assembly of sometimes friendly people.

You (if you're even still checking this) should just realize that most of the people who played it, no longer play games at all.. and anyone who might see your facebook page, will think "Jeez that game sucks, horrible graphics, doesn't work with windows 7 ect ect"

Now, if you'll excuse me, im going back to my Weighted Companion Cube.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-03-19, 12:09 PM #29
I think I was banned because someone had a grudge about sith mercenaries, and I am a part of that clan. I never really posted anything here anyway.

It had nothing to do with that, and everything to do with you just being an ass in someone else's showcase thread.

Quote:
You may be right about JKDF2.net, but that doesn't mean the game sucks. Anyone knows as well as I do how easy the engine is to work with and modify, giving tons of potential to help anyone interested in a career in ANYTHING design related.
Anyone working in design knows that JK teaches you little or nothing useful for a design career. All of the software is specific to JK, all the development methods (editing style, textures, model software, etc) are specific to JK, etc. If you're really, really good you might be able to show a company that you can do well with very little to work with, but as far as a learning experience goes, it's nearly useless.

Quote:
You're either with the JK community or against it. I'm not only trying to unite everyone who once enjoyed playing and modifying a game, because that already is seeming to fail because of pessimists like you, Cool Matty. I'm just trying to bring to the light of the internet a game that once had a thriving community of players and modders.
It once had a thriving community of players and developers because the most advanced games out at that time didn't look or run much better than JK did. It was easy to edit back then, because we didn't have things like UED or FarCry's editor.

Quote:
And about my "main site". There's a story that goes on about it. It involves spending all of my time working on other people's websites and not enough on my own (from 2006 - Now). Real world networking works a lot better than virtual networking. Because I do care about what another person within the JK Community has to say, I'd offer to show you the hundreds of designs for the hundreds of businesses I've done them for.
Having a decent website for your business is not exclusively for "virtual networking". It's a portfolio, a web-based resume that demonstrates that, hey, you actually know what you're doing.

If you actually bothered to whip up a simple business site (and for a veteran developer such as yourself, this shouldn't take you more than a day or two), you wouldn't have to individually show me, or anyone else interested.

Steven, no you can't keep me.

All I wanted to do was come to Massassi, the one place that gave me an opportunity to express my creativity through the modification of my favorite game, and offer the community something in return.

Admin access to the first fan page created for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 on the biggest social network on the Internet.

No, you created the Facebook group so that you could satisfy some personal power trip. You're offering something that essentially has no value to anyone in the JK community. Also, for someone who enjoys "real life networking" so much, I find it rather hilarious you use Facebook at all.

Administrating a Facebook group, even if it became immensely popular overnight, would not jumpstart the community. It would not create a new desire for editing and development, and it certainly wouldn't bring people together.

Quote:
There's obviously SOME REASON that Massassi still exists (with all of its jkdf2 files still downloadable), the same reason why JKHUB.net still exists, and the SAME REASON why jkdf2.net still exists.
It's rather simple why those three things exist.

A. Massassi exists for the social factor. While it does maintain the largest database of JK materials, it mainly does so only as an archive and nostalgic purposes.
B. JKhub exists for the editing factor. Anyone who is still interested in developing things for the engine find its resources to be invaluable, and although it is small, it is successful at that.
C. JKDF2.net exists for the multiplayer gaming factor. 99.9% of JKDF2.net is full of the same guys who filled up the Zone years ago, and only hang around there to play more games of JK, for the same reason any gamer still plays old versions of Quake MP, etc.

These communities used to be all in one area, generally that was Massassi. They split off because as numbers dwindled, it was not conducive to these subsets of people. The social community was by far the largest, and thus the editing and gaming communities were often neglected. They forked off into their own areas in order to survive, and any attempt now to rejoin them is not only unrealistic, but a complete failure to understand why they split in the first place. Facebook won't make this better, Facebook offers nothing that would improve that situation.

Quote:
That's all I came here for.

Besides, this is the most activity I've seen of all 3 threads I started on each of those websites...
That's probably because it's the most socially active?
2010-03-19, 12:17 PM #30
If you guys haven't sheltered yourself from the rest of the internet and actually have a facebook.

Yet another "hey i'm back after x years" thread that calls us all nerds in the OP.
:master::master::master:
2010-03-19, 12:36 PM #31
Thats the thing though, before the internet, nostalgia used to be of experiences that could not- be experienced again . If you have nostalgia over something ON the internet or accessible THROUGH the internet, than its much easier experience again.

Wait what? The internet was not the development of written language. Perhaps you are too young to remember, but there are things called "videos" and "music" and "books", these things can be experienced many many years after they became nostalgic, and they predate the internet.

Quote:
All I'm saying is consider helping, think outside your monitor. I've never seen so much pessimism from any Internet based community, ever.

It's called being realistic. Do you think you're the first person who's ever tried to bring back the JK community to its "prime years"? You're not the first, the second, the third, hell I would wager you're closer to the 50th. It gets tiring after a while. We have every right to be realistic.
2010-03-19, 1:03 PM #32
The JK "community" is one of the things that I hate the most about JK (second only to how incredible easy it was to ruin games w/ "hacks"). The IGZ was a most wretched hive of scum & villainy. I spent most of my time avoiding the "community" & playing in private games because 8/10 people that played the game were *******s &/or "hackers". My fondest memories of JK were before I discovered IGZ (jediBoard, Qtracker, ReconDroid, etc.) & the legion of idiots that resided there. Sadly, most of the remaining players that you'll see over at the JKDF2 website are the same people that I spent so much time avoiding. I would never want to join a community that's mostly made up of these people. They ruined the game for so many of us the first time around I'll be damned if I'm stupid enough to let them do it again.
? :)
2010-03-19, 1:45 PM #33
JK is dead, the best we can do for it now is try and help people who want to play it SP, and continue to develop patches that allow it to run on modern hardware.
Wasting time wishing this was the "Glory Days" isn't going to help anyone.
2010-03-19, 2:17 PM #34
Terrible thread.

Originally posted by Mentat:
The JK "community" is one of the things that I hate the most about JK (second only to how incredible easy it was to ruin games w/ "hacks").
This.

There were lots of amazingly talented people who made JK levels, but nobody ever played those levels. Multiplayer games are dominated by the same few cheaters from the EAH and SM clans (like ReT,) and those games all take place in the same few god awful hideous levels crapped out by the same few god awful talentless primadonnas (like Sithlord and BeefCaike.) The JK community is a total disaster, and anybody who still cares about it is an idiot.
2010-03-19, 2:18 PM #35
Originally posted by Jep:
People really need to let that old game die. >.< It never was that good to begin with.

[http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l130/pumpputnam/oh_no_you_didnt.gif]
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-03-19, 2:44 PM #36
Joomla, ugh.. at least change the favicon
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-03-19, 3:01 PM #37
There's a girl in that group.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-03-19, 3:43 PM #38
****ing facebook sucks. The worst thing you can do to any community is try to migrate it from an independent site to facebook.
2010-03-19, 5:41 PM #39
I think you can learn a lot about design from editing JK, though there's nothing unique about JK that makes it superior to other game engines. Though I will say that learning to work with some pretty hefty constraints could set you up well for web design in the sense that there are a lot of constraints there too.

The problem is that there were very few good JK levels anyway. The vast majority of hobbyist level editors end up either making 'fun' levels with weapons everywhere and or lots of hidden secrets and trap, or they make 'pretty' levels with very little regard for gameplay.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2010-03-19, 6:04 PM #40
Originally posted by Detty:
The problem is that there were very few good JK levels anyway. The vast majority of hobbyist level editors end up either making 'fun' levels with weapons everywhere and or lots of hidden secrets and trap, or they make 'pretty' levels with very little regard for gameplay.

Or they make utter garbage and publicly masturbate until an internet gaming service full of brainless sheep play them.

↑ Up to the top!