Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Seeking programmers and artists for development team
Seeking programmers and artists for development team
2010-12-22, 9:10 AM #1
Hey. Posting this in General Discussion even though it is editing related, because its not JK-editing.

I know there are a lot of skilled artists and programmers that still hang around here and edit JK. I am trying to recruit some of them to join the development team of my Source engine mod called Source Media Arcade. Here's the whole deal that I've been advertising all over the net...

I am now accepting applications to join the development team of Source Media Arcade. Donating your time to this project will be a rewarding experience and I'll do my best to make sure it's a time-efficient one as well.

We will be working on BETA 2 of the mod which will be focused on multiplayer and correcting design issues that were found in the first public beta release.

Source Media Arcade
Version BETA 1.0

ModDB Profile: http://www.moddb.com/mods/source-media-arcade
Download: http://www.moddb.com/downloads/start/27453
Mirror: http://www.fileplanet.com/217124/download/Source-Media-Arcade-Beta-Mod

Watch BETA 1 Commercial video

Watch BETA 1 Proof-of-Concept Demonstration video

Read about BETA 1's development cycle

Read an overview of BETA 1's design

The gameplay of BETA 2 is illustrated in the following GMod comic:
(Click here for full-sized versions)
[http://www.binarydemons.com/~strike/files/smsithlord/smarcade/sma_comic_thumb.jpg]

A general development overview for BETA 2 is given below:
[http://www.binarydemons.com/~strike/files/smsithlord/smarcade/beta2devoverview.gif]

If you are interested in investing your time and skills into this project, you are encouraged to go to [url]www.smarcade.net[/url] and click on the DEVELOPMENT tab for further instructions on how to apply.

There are a limited number of positions available on the team and only the best applicants will be selected to fill these positions. Thanks in advance to ALL who apply.

My personal website is [url]www.smsithlord.com[/url]. I am 26 years old and first got into game design when I was 13 by making add-on missions for Star Wars: Dark Forces. I am currently a computer science college senior and have been developing my skills in various aspects of game design since I first got into it.
One day, after everybody else quits, I'll be the best.
Sith Mercenaries
^My site.
2010-12-22, 10:14 AM #2
Just out of curiosity, is this what I think it is? You launch an 'in-game' source engine session in order to be taken to an environment in which you choose to load other games?
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-12-22, 10:29 AM #3
The videos describe the idea more then the text.

Did you individually model each of the game's "arcade booths"? I thought that was neat. But wouldn't something like this kill my computer when I have both the Source and the launched game running at the same time?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-12-22, 11:05 AM #4
Yes AoEJedi. Instead of opening up Steam's 2D interface to launch a game, you open up the 3D interface of SM Arcade to launch them.

ECHOMAN, yes, the mod remains open behind the game that you launch, but it is in a sort of sleep mode that doesn't take up too much of your system resources. The performance loss is consistently much lower than what people expect (what you raised is the primary concern of most would-be users of the mod). It does not sit there eating up all your RAM. When you close the game, the mod usually has to re-load all its textures and stuff because they were un-loaded to make room for the game to be played.

I encourage everybody to download BETA 1 and try it out first-hand if you have access to Source SDK Base 2007.

I modeled a variety of generic arcade booths that have their textures dynamically selected from the user's settings, giving each cabinet a unique appearance based on what game it launches.
Sith Mercenaries
^My site.
2010-12-22, 11:45 AM #5
I mean, it seems cool, and would be a sweet idea for a console interface IMO... but with steam, it would take longer to get to the game you actually want to play.

Patent this, before Microsoft steals it and puts it in the next Xbox. Seriously, this is console gold IMO, just don't see the appeal to a PC audience.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-12-22, 12:02 PM #6
It already is on the X-Box, for the game center games.
2010-12-22, 12:22 PM #7
Yeah, and PS3 has something like it too called Home.

The appeal on PC will be based around the social aspect. Communities that have members who play a variety of games (such as Massassi) will be able provide a way for their members to interact in a game-like environment. How many times would you walk past me, on the L4D2 machine, on your way to World of Warcraft until you finally stop by and jump on one of the empty controllers on L4D2.

Also, just like Home for PS3, it will also be a cool way to share media with friends. Loading up the vacation photos in a virtual art gallery and walking around it with your friends.
Sith Mercenaries
^My site.
2010-12-22, 12:24 PM #8
Yeah, but Playstation Home actually sucks. Like... bad. Really bad.
2010-12-22, 12:46 PM #9
Is that Comic Sans?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-12-22, 12:53 PM #10
Originally posted by SM_Sith_Lord:
How many times would you walk past me, on the L4D2 machine, on your way to World of Warcraft until you finally stop by and jump on one of the empty controllers on L4D2.

This is how you should describe your project. THIS is the core component that will make people "get it."

Maybe make some changes so it's more "You're walking over to the WoW machine, but see your friend playing L4D2 and there's an empty spot, so you decide to jump on and play with him instead."
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2010-12-22, 1:00 PM #11
I like how the one guy is grabbing the girl's ass.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!