Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Magazine Article Archives for DF Series?
Magazine Article Archives for DF Series?
2014-10-28, 5:57 AM #1
Recently, when I was collecting some classic PC Gamers, I came across references to Jedi Knight. In one 98 issue, Jedi Knight was listed as number 1 in the best games of the year. I even came across an awesome Jedi Knight advertisement which claimed that Jedi Knight was the first game where you get to play with a lightsaber. I've been so wanting to collect the issues on Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, including the issue which reviews MotS, though they are hard to find, even on ebay. I'm hoping that PC Gamer might public a cover to cover archive of their magazines, though I recall they have some stupid legal dispute which prevents them from doing so.

Which reminds me. I remember there was a Jedi Knight fan forum somewhere in cyberspace, there was a link to scans of magazine article previews for Jedi Knight. One article scan I recall particularly showed Kyle riding a very crude looking speeder bike, and another where he's fighting a Sith gargoyle-- the very one I recall fighting in the Continuing Adventures of Mara Jade.

Does that database still exist? And additionally, do any members here have articles and reviews that haven't been scanned yet? There's so much of the history of DF and JK, and I like reading what game reviewers originally thought about those games. To think: Jedi Knight was considered the most cinematic and well-designed fps at that time until Half-Life arrived, and I still think it's one of the best.
2014-10-28, 6:45 AM #2
That was probably me. If you search for threads started by me about four years ago... I can post links later.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2014-10-28, 8:50 AM #3
MotS Review
JK Cover Story
Are these the articles you're thinking of?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2014-10-28, 11:54 AM #4
(Wrong thread.)
2014-10-28, 1:22 PM #5
Also, this reminded me of some interesting fan made stuff I have found over the years. I just noticed that DF-21 is back up so I'll link to the threads:
http://df-21.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1702
http://df-21.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=696

I have the cross section image file as well as the paper model files.

2014-10-28, 2:48 PM #6
Always felt that between DF-21.net and Massassi.net, DF-21.net has the uglier homepage.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-10-28, 2:53 PM #7
oh **** yea
2014-10-28, 5:23 PM #8
What the ****'s a magazine?
>>untie shoes
2014-10-28, 5:42 PM #9
Originally posted by Antony:
What the ****'s a magazine?

You heard of ezines?

It's an extension of that idea, but with the electronic assumption dropped.
2014-10-28, 5:45 PM #10
A magazine is a booklet in which the first 100 pages numbers have been elided.

At least, that was my experience with the last one I picked up (National Geographic). I wonder if they've always been like this, or are just getting extra desperate to boost revenue.
2014-10-29, 12:43 AM #11
Originally posted by Wookie06:
MotS Review
JK Cover Story
Are these the articles you're thinking of?

They're among what I'm think of, but I thank you just the same for having these PDFs ready! Out of curiosity, where you find those? I've been trying to find PC Gamer article scans for awhile now, and the instances of seen in some parts of the Internet are very obscure and now forgotten. There were other Jedi Knight article scans I've seen somewhere else, but I can't remember the links very well. I also recall coming across a PC Gamer article on Dark Forces, complete with a sketch of Kyle Katarn and a beta version of Kyle's ship, but I've forgotten where that is.

Reading the Jedi Knight preview made me appreciate how much work went into Jedi Knight, and makes me also wish I could contact all the team members involved, particularly Chin. I just wonder which game article scan I found which had Kyle on the speeder bike.
2014-10-29, 4:39 AM #12
Go to your local public library and try looking them up using their databases.
>>untie shoes
2014-10-29, 8:10 AM #13
Go to your local public library and try looking them up using their databases.

There are no PC Gamer databases in my public library, or in any other public library in all of America, Antony. Public libraries don't keep archives of computer game magazines ever, and mine certainly doesn't.
2014-10-29, 1:38 PM #14
Well, I don't keep them either, so **** off.
>>untie shoes
2014-10-29, 4:56 PM #15
Well, I don't keep them either, so **** off.

...I wasn't picking a fight with you. You didn't have to insult me. I never thought that you kept archives, or anything else to contribute, so get outta here ya bum.
2014-10-29, 6:05 PM #16
I scanned those. I had a subscription to that magazine back then. Got tired of the space they took up so I stripped the articles I cared about out and then some years later scanned what I wanted to keep.

Something quasi-related that you might be able to find are the DF and JK strategy guides. There is some development info in those, more so in the DF one.

2014-10-29, 7:21 PM #17
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I scanned those. I had a subscription to that magazine back then. Got tired of the space they took up so I stripped the articles I cared about out and then some years later scanned what I wanted to keep.

Something quasi-related that you might be able to find are the DF and JK strategy guides. There is some development info in those, more so in the DF one.

I thank you again, Wookie06. As for the other scans I've seen, maybe I'll find them again. Both strategy guides I happily own. You're right: they offer some incredible insight into the games' development. There's tidbits in both strategy guides which I'd like to discuss in another topic topic sometime soon.
2014-11-02, 9:47 AM #18
I'm taking your quest as kind of a challenge. I've not yet found precisely what you're looking for but the link below is a good find. Also found a scan of the DF strategy guide without searching specifically for it. I won't link to it because the site seems to be of the questionable variety but it's out there.

http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/x-wing-series-magazine-scans/

2014-11-03, 9:58 AM #19
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
You heard of ezines?

It's an extension of that idea, but with the electronic assumption dropped.

I have not heard of ezines, and I guarantee that no one else has either.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-11-03, 7:14 PM #20
Well, little luck so far on the search for PC Gamer magazines. I'm guessing they're aggressive about protecting their property. I did find a site that might have some, doubtfully what you are looking for though. It's oldgamemags.com. They have a PC Gamer section but it looks like they use some crappy download service. No idea if it works and it's dubious anyway. I did find an archive for all of the Computer Gaming World magazines. Worth a look at http://www.cgwmuseum.org/index.php

↑ Up to the top!