Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → particle blast
particle blast
2002-08-22, 5:30 PM #1
Ok, I have an idea for a weapon I want to try to make. I have a question about the cog though. See, I want the weapon to replace the Thermal Detonator, and work simmilar, except when it is detonated, it makes a blast from the center, that moves outward on the floor, and damages anything that gets caught in it's path, kind of like a wave. But it should look kind of like little particles that move out into a big circle. What do i need to add to the cog to get it to generate the out-moving particle effect?

------------------
Watch the Skies.
2002-08-23, 12:40 AM #2
Sorry to ask, but I'm assuming that you do have the particle effect ready?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2002-08-23, 11:27 AM #3
for making that sort of wave effect, you need to make a new template, or just use one that looks like it (concussion cloud) anyway its easy to do. If you havnt already, read my tutorial on templates. Now for the particles you want, what you need to do is use a property called "pitchrange". Pitchrange stops the particles from going all over the place and only allows them to move in a specified range of pitch. if you added "pitchrange=10" to your template, then the particals only get 10 degrees off from 0 (horizontal) to go up. thus creating a wave-like effect.

As for having it damage something as it touches it...that is a little tricky. Particles do not do any damage, and there is no way of determining what a particle has touched. So you can use something called "blasttime" in your explosion template. Blasttime is (I think...) the amount of time it takes for the explosion's damage to kick in. so if you are far away from the explosion, and you set the blasttime to approxamatly the same amount of time that your particles reach you, then it would work, the problem is, the blasttime doesnt care how far away you are from the explosion, it still waits anyway.

I think the best way to do this is have your grenade release a bunch of large, invisible, short range projectiles in every direction (except up and down, of course) this way you dont have to bother with blast time. if you get the projectiles speed right, it will work perfectly along with the shockwave particle effect.
I'm just an old man with a skooma problem.
2002-08-23, 4:33 PM #4
Sorry, i didn't word the subject well. I guess its more of an explosion that moves across the floor.

------------------
Watch the Skies.
2002-08-23, 4:38 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Blasttime is (I think...) the amount of time it takes for the explosion's damage to kick in.</font>

Nearly. Blasttime is the time left that the explosion thing should have before it explodes. So if the explosion has a timer of 3 and a blasttime of 1, it will explode after 2 seconds.

------------------
Author of the JK DataMaster, Parsec, Scribe, and the EditPlus Cog Files.

[This message has been edited by SaberMaster (edited August 23, 2002).]
Author of the JK DataMaster, Parsec, Scribe, and the EditPlus Cog Files.
2002-08-24, 7:48 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
Sorry, i didn't word the subject well. I guess its more of an explosion that moves across the floor.

</font>

well, that is what I told you how to do...I don't see the problem.
I'm just an old man with a skooma problem.

↑ Up to the top!