Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → This shouldn't be complicated.......
This shouldn't be complicated.......
2002-12-05, 7:56 PM #1
Maybe I won't confuse you all with this question this time around. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

I can stop the player from pitching up/down, but what about rotating left/right? (sides SetThingLook() over and over again)
-Hell Raiser
2002-12-06, 4:12 AM #2
I wouldnt say this is a soltion but something interesting you might want to try, I dont completely understand why it works, and it only disables turn left / right. The player can still strafe to the left and right.

-------------------------------------------

NOTE: This only works in kyle.cog.
(because its the players class cog I believe)

Add to symbols:

message pulse

Add to code:

pulse:
SetThingFlags(player, 0x20000);
SetThingRotVel(player, '0 0 0');
Return;

Then Add the start of Pulse somewhere, like for this test:

init_kyle:
SetPulse(0.1);
// rest of init_kyle stuff

--------------------------------------------

If anyone can shed some light on why this works please tell me. DataMaster describes
0x20000 as 'Thing has acive pulse'. So im thinking that putting it in kyle's pulse is acting like a call statement, allowing the pulse in kyle to approach the speeds of a while or for loop. If this is the case, I would think using this methog might create more lag then consantly Setting the look vector.

I havent been able to do this effect in other cogs.
- Wisdom is 99% experience, 1% knowledge. -
2002-12-06, 10:31 AM #3
SetActorFlags(player, 0xa00000);

prevents them from using any hotkeys as well. thats the best i could come up with with the time i have.
2002-12-06, 11:27 AM #4
I think this is the best way to do that, but you will have to trigger it if you want it to work right in MP.

ParseArg(player, "maxrotvel=0");

To set back to normal:
ParseArg(player, "maxrotvel=200.000000")
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2002-12-06, 12:09 PM #5
Ace1 do you need to have special physics flags set for this method? I just tested and it didnt seem to do anything.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ace1:
I think this is the best way to do that, but you will have to trigger it if you want it to work right in MP.

ParseArg(player, "maxrotvel=0");

To set back to normal:
ParseArg(player, "maxrotvel=200.000000")
</font>

- Wisdom is 99% experience, 1% knowledge. -
2002-12-06, 12:47 PM #6
I tried ParseArg()ing the maxrotvel and it didn't do anything, that's why I'm here. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
-Hell Raiser
2002-12-06, 11:47 PM #7
You have to set some flags to get maxrotvel working...but I forgot which.

------------------
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2002-12-07, 11:15 AM #8
Did you try mine? It works.
2002-12-07, 9:59 PM #9
I don't wanna disable hotkeys tho Hebedee. For now I'm just SetThingLook()'ing over and over. I don't really have a problem with it, but I feel more comfortable having a variable set than running a pulse.

You think LEC would release the source code if we asked really nice? Q2 was made around the same time (imho I think JK has better graphics) and it's source is out and about. [/wishful thinking]
-Hell Raiser
2002-12-08, 12:51 AM #10
I'm in. Let's ask them. You are the organisator.

------------------
2002-12-08, 7:52 AM #11
oh yeah I forgot that you can't those to 0 so set them to something really small like 0.000001.
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2002-12-08, 2:01 PM #12
They would never release it. Not even on its 15th birthday.
Team Battle.
2002-12-09, 8:06 PM #13
Well HR, I know for a fact that there's a var used in either cog or templates, it's "MaxRotThrust." I don't know how much it could help, I think it only works for using the turnl/turnr buttons, but it's worth a shot.

If you just need to restrict the movement a little, there's a flag you can set that only lets them turn about as fast as with the arrow keys. I believe it was listed somewhere above.

↑ Up to the top!