Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Would it be possible to increase the thing limit in JK/Mots by editing JK.exe?
Would it be possible to increase the thing limit in JK/Mots by editing JK.exe?
2004-08-23, 10:46 AM #1
With like a hex editor or something? I know nothing about this...but a few posts I read today made me curious about the subject.
2004-08-23, 11:01 AM #2
maybe, but I'm sure thats against the eula

------------------
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-23, 11:24 AM #3
meh, just use a thing vector creation system.

------------------
Life of Grismath
and
Rites of Xanthus
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-08-23, 11:28 AM #4
It's completelly illegal.

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-23, 11:31 AM #5
Yes, it would. I dont know how, but you need to open up JK.exe with some sort of disassembler(W32.Dasm, ect.) and either patch the JK.exe, or create a program that runs during Jedi Knight.

I dont know exactly how it would be done, because I dont program, but it would be something like that.

Arden Lyn
2004-08-23, 1:05 PM #6
Jon`C, Emon, et al will probably disagree with me, but I dont think thats possible. And even if it were, LEC's EULA quite specifically prohibits modification of JK's binaries.

I wrote a number of systems back in '01 to handle thing creation.....however, only the RVTCS (Ranged Vector Thing Creation System) got released. It creates/destroys objects based on distance from the player. It only works for static objects (so no doors, elevators, or anything else that requires frames), and its really only useful for outdoor or other large-scale architecture, but it usually does the trick.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-23, 2:27 PM #7
GBK: Why do you think it wouldn't be possible? Wouldn't it just require changing a max value most likely from 400 to 4000 for instance...or do you think it would require some more indept stuff like changing memory allocated or something? I'm not much of a real programmer myself.

While you vector thingamagig is great and certainly *helps* to alleviate the problem in addition to some cogs I've written...there's just tons of situations where having more than 400 things would really help a lot. And I spend so much time working on thwarting the thing limit its just sort of frustrating...
2004-08-24, 4:13 AM #8
It wont work, because the limit is problably a combination of things. While you may be able to get the actual numerical limit increased, you forget the fact that having 640 things active at once bogs the game down to a crawl. Increasing that limit will only make things worse.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wave_Of_Mutilation:
...And I spend so much time working on thwarting the thing limit its just sort of frustrating...</font>

I spent a good year working on nothing but that. I know how you feel, trust me.

------------------
2004-08-24, 6:03 AM #9
I'm not sure what you mean regarding the game bogging down...the only thing that slows the framerate signigantly on JK for me anymore is buttloads of adjoins visible at the same time. Even a 500mhz with 128mb of ram and a old video card makes short work of almost anything JK can throw at it.

Yes, if you have 500 actors on screen at once thats going to be a performance hit. Thats not really what I'm getting at though. I do not want these things to be all *visible* at the same time, I simply want them to be allowed to exist somewhere in the level.

I have been toying with the idea of making a co-op fantasy game mod/levels recently. My last project was working on a new set of synced AI based on some rbots code and my ability to use actual sabers on multiplayer spawned actors. (Some one on here was doing a similar project and had figured out how to make them work. He was kind enough to email me his early code so I could use it.)

The trouble is, all AI things need to be spawned after the start of the game. And I wanted to have VERY large levels for this. I could alleviate the need to use up tons of static ghost objects by using cog to spawn at pos instead...but each monster spawned after the game would eat away at the precious spawned thing count. Not to mention arrows, bloodsparks, spawned powerups, doors, ropes, etc, etc, etc...

The one thing that keeps me from going further isn't the lack of transparencies or even that damn adjoin limit before HOM...its that fricking thing limit! After spending hours writing code that checks for visibility of a smoke effect that exists for 1.5 seconds and stops the effect from being created if no one can see it, just to save one precious thing that might be needed elsewhere...I started to get pissed that I have 512 megs of ram and I can't use it because JK was designed to run with 16.

I just want the flood gates opened! </rant>

[This message has been edited by Wave_Of_Mutilation (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-25, 2:42 AM #10
Well, you can always switch to another game, you know...

------------------
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2004-08-25, 2:53 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by zagibu:
Well, you can always switch to another game, you know...

</font>

Blasphemy! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-08-25, 4:02 AM #12
After an AI is killed, and th ebody dissappears, the engine destroys the object. So, if you spawm a hundred enemies and kill them all, you can spawn a hundred more without worries.

------------------
2004-08-25, 6:49 AM #13
GBK: I have a question about your vector thing creation...thing. I assume it starts with placed objects right? Ones that were in JED to begin with? Well isn't there a limit of like 200 spawned things? Would creating and destroying them eat up the limit of spawned things...which is really the one that concerns me the most?
2004-08-25, 9:20 AM #14
He just said, once you destroy an object, you can recreate another. So, in essance, just use the RTVS to remake each AI as you go along in the level. Or, an idea, would be that after you kill one monster, the next one spawns in the next room, or you could have 20 monsters at a time, as you kill the first, he moves up to number 21 and fills the spot of the 21st monster, this way there are no errors of not seeing a monster up ahead that will be there once this enemy is killed.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!