Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → pup ArmedModes & MP
pup ArmedModes & MP
2004-08-28, 9:55 AM #1
Well I need to be able to have a .pup file change when called on by a cog for a player, and since 5 armedmodes of 1 pup file isn't enough, ParseArg would be ideal. However, it wouldn't be synched over the connection!

Any ideas?

What about if you destroything(player) and create instantly the same player template with a different pup file? Sounds like monkey business to me.

Is it even possible to have more than 5 pup modes??

BTW, what calls the pup armed modes for underwater swimming? I tried changing them (because my level has no water) & using SetArmedMode to it but it has flaws

------------------
nil nip nada zip zero naught lip zil
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2004-08-28, 12:48 PM #2
using triggers works

------------------
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-28, 4:14 PM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ace1:
using triggers works</font>

I'm assuming Ace means to use ParseArg() in a client cog by triggering it -- instant sync! I'll have to remember this...

And DestroyThing(player); , according to what I've heard, will crash the game

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-08-28, 5:54 PM #4
How exactly would I implement the trigger? I need it done after a "selected" message. [Edit]nm i think I got it. Thx though

It's a shame to have to jump through so many loops to do something in JK.
I would be nice if SetThingPup() existed thats for sure

------------------

[This message has been edited by F-Body (edited August 28, 2004).]
2004-08-28, 7:12 PM #5
I'm not sure if this answers your problem, but a pup can have more than 5 armed modes, I've made up to 7 in one pup before and changed it using SetArmedMode()(or whatever the verb is).

------------------
*Takes out his blaster and fires shots at the wall, the blastmarks leave the words "S-TROOPER WUZ 'ERE!!!"
2004-08-29, 8:19 AM #6
I was told by (i think it was datamaster or something) that 5 is the max. Which brings back a different question, what sets the armedmode for underwater swimming?? I couldn't find it anywhere!

------------------
2004-08-29, 11:10 AM #7
The underwater armed mode is done automatically by the engine. JK automatically adds 2 or 3 (can't remember which) to the armed mode upon entering the water.
2004-08-29, 12:21 PM #8
I think the modes for swimming are set automatically by JK upon entering an underwater sector.

I can't find anything in the datamaster about pups having a limit on the number of modes, and the JKspecs don't say anything about having a limit either. And I know that 5 isn't the limit (if there is one) because I've had more than that in one .pup file before and it worked just fine.

------------------
*Takes out his blaster and fires shots at the wall, the blastmarks leave the words "S-TROOPER WUZ 'ERE!!!"
2004-08-29, 6:17 PM #9
Im not talking about the number of pup files, but the number of modes inside 1 pup file. Its actually 6 (0-5) that I see in normal pup files. I'll do some experimenting with it and check back later...

------------------
2004-08-30, 3:57 AM #10
You can have any many as you want as far as I know. But the trouble comes with water. JK is just going to add 2/3 to whatever pup so you can get into trouble there.

I find the best way is to just break your different modes up into 2 or more pups and use parsearg() and sendtrigger() to change and sync them.
2004-08-30, 2:56 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by F-Body:
Im not talking about the number of pup files, but the number of modes inside 1 pup file. Its actually 6 (0-5) that I see in normal pup files. I'll do some experimenting with it and check back later...

</font>

That's what I'm talking about too. The only problem with adding more modes is (like Wave already said) that JK automatically sets the submode for swimming.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could do some cogging to check the player's/current sector's flags and if it's flagged as underwater change the pup/submode. Then when you leave the underwater sector, change it back. But that's probably more cogging than it's worth.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Stormtrooper (edited August 30, 2004).]
2004-08-31, 3:22 AM #12
Sorry F-Body, my fault for being unclear there. I was saying pup when what I really meant was submode.

But again, I recommend splitting your extra modes between different pup files and syncing them.

Another, perhaps better way around this that I was going to use was to simply use a high thingflag value that is unassigned. Then have all players added to an array on join in a LOCAL flaged cog running on each users machine. The cog runs a pulse, which checks for the different 'mode flags' and assigns the pup locally on everyone's machine. Thats less network traffic and you don't have to worry about dropped packets messing up your mode. Thingflags are synced automatically, and the effects will be handled locally.

[This message has been edited by Wave_Of_Mutilation (edited August 31, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!