Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Eliminating the falling death in Jedi Knight
Eliminating the falling death in Jedi Knight
2004-09-04, 6:43 PM #1
With the advent of grappling hook mods in JK, the danger of falling to the darkest depths of, say, Nar Shaddaa has been negated. This is true, at least, theoretically.

However, if one falls long enough, they will still hear Kyle Katarn cry out at gravity's injustice. The screen fades to blackness, just perhaps a second before the player hears their grappling hook hit something and start reeling Kyle in.

What I beseech the Massassi Temple of is the knowledge of what files are responsible for the falling death script, and how to engage them. Can they be deleted? Countered? Altered?

I've taken a cursory examination of Resource .gobs, and I thought I had found the responsible .cogs, in Res2.gob. Their names were, "00_fallcamera.cog" and "00_fallcamera2.cog", I deleted both of them (after making a backup of course;)). When I played JK once more, however, I still suffered from watching the screen fade to black as Kyle fell down towards the black, sightless bowels of Nar Shaddaa.

Could someone please help?

(I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure exactly which to place it in as it pertains to .cogs but doesn't directly question their creation, if the moderator can and feels it necessary to move this post, he's welcome to do so.)
2004-09-04, 10:29 PM #2
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but sectors are flagged to do that falling death fade-to-black if you fall in them. A simple way to negate this would be
Code:
for(i=0; i<GetSectorCount(); i=i+1)
{
ClearSectorFlags(i, 0x40);
}

Add it in the startup section of some cog. I'd put a half second or full second sleep before the for call also.

The checksum equivalent to this code is:
Code:
if(0) { }
-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, 1;

uhhh, I think...

QM

P.S. - Something else to take note of: I've never managed to make a cog that fully prevents the 0x400000 flag from blacking out your screen and restarting the level/respawning you. I've managed one that will stop you from restarting/respawning but your screen still gets a little dark, and if you keep jumping in a fall-to-your-death piut the screen will get gradually darker, and upon reaching full black you restart/respawn.
2004-09-05, 5:17 AM #3
Quib Mask has covered pretty much everything there is to say. The 00_fallcamera cogs look like they would handle the falling and I also thought they were responsible. But if IRL, after some testing it appears they were replaced with some engine code.

The happens a lot if you know some of the JK verbs...the NthBackPack verbs allow greater control than the CreateBackPack() verb which seems like it was created later when they decided it was a pain in the *** to just cog that. MotS seeking raildetonator weapon cog is FILLED with commented out code that appeared to try and handle all the seeking through cog. Ultimately, it was all replaced with a new verb. Fall camera was probably the same thing. Maybe one level guy wanted it for his level, wrote a cog script...everyone liked the fall so they coded it into the engine.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2004-09-08, 9:10 PM #4
Gentlemen, thank you for the discussion.

I'm not at all familiar with the cog structure, but I'm going to try my own hand at this script (it sounds simple enough, especially since you provided the language and values), so here's to amateur modding! ;)

↑ Up to the top!