Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → real Flashlight.....???
real Flashlight.....???
2004-09-15, 2:05 PM #1
Is it able to make a real flashlight in JK(like in Half Life, Doom 3.....)

????
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-09-15, 2:18 PM #2
Do you mean like it doesn't shine 360 degrees around like a lightbulb--just a 60 degree (or so) arc/cone in front of you?

That could probably be done; what I would do is fire a stream of light templates in front of me until it hits a wall or is out of a reasonable range. Probably not perfect, but it should work pretty well.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-09-15, 2:22 PM #3
It should look like a real, that only a circle is visible....

2004-09-15, 2:34 PM #4
I've done the method Darth Slaw is describing. It works ok...but since JK uses vertex lighting, its less than perfect. If you point at the center of a large surface, the light will hit but little to nothing will happen because it really only has an effect on verticies.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2004-09-15, 5:49 PM #5
Now isn't there a surface flag that anything seen through a surface is fully lit? I do remember SOMETHING along those lines. Couldn't a beam of texture provide a flashlight of sorts?

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-09-15, 10:18 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by El Scorcho
I've done the method Darth Slaw is describing. It works ok...but since JK uses vertex lighting, its less than perfect. If you point at the center of a large surface, the light will hit but little to nothing will happen because it really only has an effect on verticies.

and in MotS

2004-09-17, 7:28 AM #7
Here's what I'm planning on doing for LoG03:

I'm firing a stream of ghosts whose class cogs increment their thing light, so as they fly out they get brighter the farther they go. This creates a 'cone of light' effect, which should give you maximum realism. I'm overcoming the vertex issue by onjly giving the player the flashlight in a vertex heavy dungeon. :P
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-09-17, 8:17 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath
Here's what I'm planning on doing for LoG03:

I'm firing a stream of ghosts whose class cogs increment their thing light, so as they fly out they get brighter the farther they go. This creates a 'cone of light' effect, which should give you maximum realism. I'm overcoming the vertex issue by onjly giving the player the flashlight in a vertex heavy dungeon. :P

Thats a pretty cool idea...and it should really come up with a neat effect. But wouldn't dumping tons of ghosts like that cause the thing limit to be hit pretty fast if you pointed the flashlight over a long distance?

I guess you could limit the max distance to avoid having it get to out of hand though.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2004-09-17, 9:04 PM #9
You can set it so that projectiles die after a certain range, I believe.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!