Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → MAJOR problem!
MAJOR problem!
2004-09-20, 4:07 AM #1
Ok just when I was about to relese a mod I have spent a fair wack of time at, it all goes wrong.

I went to test the multiplayer, and its quite an advanced multiplayer bacause it uses player special abilitys. Anyway I tested with another player and found these results:

1)In multiplayer you can only play in lec levels, you can play alone in custom levels but if someone joins it crashes.

2)The players avenger and sparx only work in lec levels. Even though you can normaly play alone in custom levels sparx and avenger players will be turned into rangi.

I should note, the bug may be in the kyle cog because both sparx and avenger have thier abilitys handled in the kyle cog. But all the other players use a hotkey.

Please download this mod and try and help me find the bug.

Thanks.
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-09-21, 4:45 PM #2
I have downloaded the mod, but I probably will not be able to test it (SP and MP) until this weekend.

:)
2004-09-22, 4:06 PM #3
cool thanks zeq

Rangi
2004-09-26, 5:38 PM #4
I am stumped at the moment. I have tried debugging the mod several times (for many hours) both today and yesterday.

For now, I suspect that the static.jkl is the problem. After looking at the rest of the mod and finding that it looks (and tests) correct, I looked at the static.jkl. Because I had not used static.jkl before, I started researching how to use it. Originally, I thought it was simply used like a level jkl that was accessed by all levels, but many people have stated it is related to some bizarre events (which sound similar to the crashing problem in this mod). Unfortunately, I have not found enough info to test further without doing some experimenting on my own, which would (probably) take many hours to do.

Unless someone else can provide some debugging ideas, I am hoping to receive relevant info in my static.jkl thread and then debug later this week.

Debugging away,
2004-09-26, 5:40 PM #5
When I have no idea whatsoever is causing the problem...I remove files one at a time, starting with what I think may be the problem, and test. The mod will be broken throughout the testing, but it will allow you to isolate the offending file.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2004-09-26, 5:49 PM #6
I have a couple ideas, and I'll work on it.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-09-26, 6:21 PM #7
Yeah, removing files one at a time is good advice for debugging. I will try that next (if LKOH_SniperWolf doesn't post a solution beforehand).

2004-09-26, 7:25 PM #8
Thanks alot guys, its really apreciated.

Rangi
2004-09-26, 7:40 PM #9
Ok I did some testing and it seems the bug is located in "special_ability.cog". I might add that the players "sparx" and "avenger" are the only players that dont have their special abilty handled in the "special_ability.cog".

I just dont know what in that cog is causeing the bug.

Rangi
2004-09-26, 8:51 PM #10
Based on what a_person said about the special_ability.cog possibly being the problem, I deleted it from the gob and ran it through LEC's Canyon Oasis and bug's Atlantis using the Rangi model (2 player MP). The crash did not occur as it had when the cog was left in. Very strange.

It then occurred to me that the GCW mod has similar features to this mod, so I looked at its static.jkl and items.dat. Just like some of the other mods I have looked at, it does not list the cogs in the static.jkl, but places them in items.dat. This seems to be consistent with the obscure references to static.jkl usage that I have seen while searching the forums.

Then I tried the gob (still without the special_ability.cog) with a modified static.jkl (the cog list was deleted). Both levels loaded and played just fine with the Rangi model.

I did not test beyond loading the levels because the crash seemed to be the main problem.

My suggestion is to try placing the special_ability.cog (and other cogs that don't seem to work when deleted from the static.jkl) in items.dat.

[Edit: Changed a verb.]

↑ Up to the top!