Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → *sigh* So little time...
*sigh* So little time...
2004-11-03, 4:48 AM #1
Anyway, I was thinking of a way to have JK output something to a file. I then thought to myself "Aha self! AutoSaveGame(); writes a file to the HD!" So I figured, ok, AutoSaveGame(); would save bin numbers and all that stuff that we want and extra spiffy stuff like player position and whatnot. However, AutoSaveGame(); does not work in MP, however, maybe using debug flags or some combination of the sort, will allow you to use AutoSaveGame(); in MP. (no time for me to T&E right now)

The autosaves are greek in EditPad, so I must assume that the file actually contains bin numbers inside the bits and bytes of the file itself. The values are there, just not listed as text strings. (to preven cheating I suspect) Anyone besides myself experianced in hex editing?

Well, here's hopin AutoSaveGame(); at least works in MP. :cool:
-Hell Raiser
2004-11-03, 5:53 AM #2
Without access to JK, I couldnt really help...although I could venture to guess they are problably stored as C structures or some such. Access to the JK source would greatly help here... :p
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-11-03, 8:11 AM #3
Well, it'd be interesting if you can. The bin values seem to be 3 bytes, btw. I have no idea why this is the case, but from what I've been able to deduce, it is. (I know from trying an alternate method to save bin data, which is to grab from active memory using an external program) The first byte may in fact be some sort of signature or something, telling the program what kind of data is currently being held. (Signed/unsigned, floating/integer). Anyways, this means the values of the bins should be 3 bytes long, so it's probably the same in the saved file.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-11-03, 8:24 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by LKOH_SniperWolf
(I know from trying an alternate method to save bin data, which is to grab from active memory using an external program)

Ah! I knew it could be done! What happens if you change the values in the memory externally? I was thinking a while ago, that with some kinda program, we could change the array definition of WORLD THINGS to be more than 640. [/wishful thinking]

Any chance you could elaborate on this external program? Did you make one?
-Hell Raiser
2004-11-04, 6:20 AM #5
I'm sure it can be done because Kicker Helper Did stuff like grab names from memory.
2004-11-04, 4:19 PM #6
Not to mention the checksum killers out there. I'm sure quite alot is possible with externally running programs. I'm gonna take some time pretty quick to get the memory address's of all the basic important bits of jk.exe
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-11-04, 4:49 PM #7
Scorpion's + JP9000's. Any others out there?

Maggot get on MSN tonight.
2004-11-04, 5:16 PM #8
Can it get player ip addresses or something to seperate different computers over the internet?

I have been thinking of a freelancer style player saving system where everyone's computers are registered with a different key which allows you to load saved characters (and possibly locations) in multiplayer.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2004-11-04, 7:21 PM #9
JP9000's Grabs IP's, too.
2004-11-04, 7:34 PM #10
Yes, one even detects IPs of all the players connected. I know scorpion has the source, but he won't give it out.

hmmm
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-11-04, 8:03 PM #11
Cool, but I doubt I would be able to do much with it anyway (I barely have time to post, not to mention edit) I was just throwing out the idea, possibly even starting an FL mod (I haven't givenup on my ship cog even with its mystery bugs).
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2004-11-04, 8:52 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by T0rN
I'm sure it can be done because Kicker Helper Did stuff like grab names from memory.

DUH! KICKER HELPER! :o It changed the stuff in memory for the LEVEL so you could reset it! Is the creator still around?
-Hell Raiser
2004-11-05, 6:44 AM #13
You could probaly get someone like Triscuit to make a program like this. Aswell, I just read your post on the eah boards, maggot.
I would go on irc.zonehacks.com #zonehacks and talk to him directly, I'm sure he would give you the source, he comes on there a lot.
2004-11-05, 5:29 PM #14
I did testing with a generic game hacker. There's a previous thread with several details including the relative point of some of the memory addresses. Successive bin value were found to be seperated by 3 bytes. 3 bytes seems odd, because it's not a power of 2, but it was consistent through the bins. Increasing world things over 640 would be dangerous at best. We've no idea of the internal mechanism's. It could really mess up array and memory access setups, would require finding and changing constants as well, most likely. I've been brushing up on my windows programming to try and write a memory saver/loader specifically for the memory bins, as though are the main things of any importance. With the generic cheat program, I was able to freeze and modify the memory values, and see the effects ingame. And these memory modifications worked even in MP.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-11-06, 4:09 AM #15
Mind sharing this program and info? :o
-Hell Raiser
2004-11-09, 4:29 PM #16
Most of the info is already in a previous thread. The program I'm working, is not finished, as I must relearn Windows programming. The program I tested with was just a generic memory searcher/freezer. These are easy to find, so trying to hunt down a specific one is something of a waste of time.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-11-10, 10:53 AM #17
http://forums.massassi.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15753

The previous thread I mentioned.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-11-12, 2:09 AM #18
You mentioned somethings source was in VB, mind if I have a whack at it? I'm a VB whiz. :o
-Hell Raiser
2004-11-13, 1:32 AM #19
I don't think anyone's seen MERC Tiberius since late 99. He made JK HKH.

I don't look in the cog forum much, but I was thinking about how to save info from JK last month, my idea was to get all strings/numbers to be displayed on a 3do HUD, then force a screenshot.

This would have been for only about half a dozen numbers and maybe 1 string though. I couldn't seem to find a way to force JK to create a screenshot unfortunately...

↑ Up to the top!