Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → dynamic lights
dynamic lights
2004-11-11, 2:23 AM #1
hi all.
I have a quaestion about this.

Standard dyn. lights when you are close to them, lighting 3do's perfect. But when you are a little away form them they are switching to simple lighting (flat shading).

Is possible to change this behavior?

please help.

Ort.
-= Jedi Knight I forever =-
2004-11-11, 5:46 AM #2
Yes, its possible to fix that, but its not easy.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-11-11, 8:24 AM #3
Actually, it's 10000X easier that GBK thinks (if his fix even works for this). I found 2 easy ways to fix this. Either set the object flags to 0x8 or change the gouraud distance in the header to a higher number.

The gouraud distance is the distance at which the engine stops lighting things gouraudly (smoothly). The only exception to the gouraud distance (as far as I know) is setting the thing flags to 0x8 (architecture)
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2004-11-11, 8:31 AM #4
This is an example of how it is used (notice I used both methods shown above, only one is needed. I threw in both for example purposes)

In the level a light will pass over the terrain, giving it full light. Then a few seconds later it will move away from the terrain. It then returns from the opposite direction, and leaves again. This repeats FOREVER, try not to sit at your computer waiting for it to end ;)

[EDIT] Well, the file is too big to be uploaded. But if anyone can host it, I would appreciate it. [/EDIT]
2004-11-11, 10:05 AM #5
Thanx for help

flag 0x8 rulez :)

I forgot about this
-= Jedi Knight I forever =-
2004-11-11, 11:41 AM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Ortheza
Thanx for help

flag 0x8 rulez :)

I forgot about this

I would actually recommend using the gouraud distance method. That way you don't have to flag every single object you want fixed, just one simple number. But both work the same (in this aspect)

_XxWrAiTHxX_ I'm going to the store right now, but when I get back I'll send it to you.
2004-11-11, 12:55 PM #7
Ok, the file's been sent.
2004-11-11, 4:22 PM #8
From the little experience I've had with dynamic lights, SG speaks truth.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-11-11, 6:15 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by SG-fan
Well, the file is too big to be uploaded. But if anyone can host it, I would appreciate it.

Not for long! I have vowed to complete the upload applet during Thanksgiving break.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!