Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Camera Cog Question
Camera Cog Question
2004-11-14, 12:41 PM #1
Ok, Im working on a map, and I am trying to give it a resident evil style camera system where you walk into a sector and the camera changes. I have 5 sectors so each time I run through it, the camera changes, but if I go back, it wont switch to a previous camera. Can somebody help me with a cog? Im not very good at them, thanks.
2004-11-14, 1:12 PM #2
Sure i could or just ask Grismath he made the same camera in Life of Grismath 1 and 2.

btw welcome:)

pm me, if you need help...
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-11-15, 2:35 AM #3
Probably the best way to do this would be on sector entered triggers, with just a single identical cog for each sector to set the camera. I might have to brush up on my cog tonight. Bah.

I'll redownload JED tonight and have a fiddle - did you want the cameras to be looking in a single direction or to follow the player around whilst they are in that room?
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2004-11-15, 12:06 PM #4
here my first released cog.

2004-11-15, 2:02 PM #5
Thanks man! I love it, thanks.

But also, how would you do it like fullmetal said? Like have it follow you but a different angle? If thats not possible, im fine with what I have now, but would still like to engage on something more advance, thanks
2004-11-15, 5:28 PM #6
You'd create have the cog attach the ghost object to the player, at least, that's the most viable solution.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-11-15, 5:35 PM #7
Technically, G-man's cog isn't syntacically correct cog (although you can see the principle points of the cog clearly enough :))

For just one way of doing this (and there are plenty of alternative coding styles ;)) why not try something like this:

Code:
symbols

message entered

sector	        trigger linkid=1
thing		ghost

end

# =============================

code

entered:
    if (GetSenderID() == 1) {
        SetCameraFocus(0, ghost);
        SetCurrentCamera(0);
    }

Return;

# ..................................

end

All that seemed out of place from conventional cogging was the set of curly-braces and the inclusion of the "player" (as an int - it isn't referenced anywhere ;))... other than that, I have no quibbles whatsoever :D

Hope this helps :)

-Jackpot

EDIT: Sniperwolf posted his suggestion whilst I was typing mine, but he's quite right - if you want a good example of camera tricks and what-not, then I suggest visiting SaberMaster's site [ http://geocities.com/sabersdomain/index.html ] for his chase-cam. I know it's not resident evil style, but it's got more than a few tips-n'-tricks to keep you interested :)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-11-17, 6:53 AM #8
yeah, I was just editing an old cog of me.

I forgot that.....:(

↑ Up to the top!