Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Gravity Gun
Gravity Gun
2004-12-03, 6:31 PM #1
I was wondering if it's possible or if anyone has tried it? So far the basics would include:

Creating a thing at a position in front of the player, then setting (or teleporting) the victim to the thing's position, then attaching it to the player so you can move around with it.

My question is what exactly are the effects of the flags associated with AttachThingToThingEx? Such as 0x2? Does that mean if I look up etc. the thing that is attached to the player will follow it?
2004-12-03, 6:45 PM #2
I already have a working one. I'm waiting for a model/skin and some mp debugging before I release it. JKirby is kind enough to be working on the model, and is doing some mp testing for me.

Mine works pretty identically to the HL2 one, sans the advanced realistic physics obviously.

I wouldn't be totally against posting the code once I get some more testing done, if enough people wanted to see it. Or you could always just wait till it's release and check it out.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-12-03, 6:53 PM #3
I'm suprised no one did something like this sooner, perhaps as a Force power. I mean, other than Force Throw...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-12-03, 8:03 PM #4
Check the force grip in my Tool Box (everbot.tripod.com/toolbox.htm I think...); at rank 4, you can drag the victim around a bit. It's not quite what you're looking for, but with a stronger effect in the pulse and some flags applied to the victim it could precisely throw the victim around.

QM
2004-12-03, 8:17 PM #5
I decided to upload this, as maybe it will get me some needed feedback. Two files right now, kyle.cog and weap_bryar.cog. My grav gun replaces the bryar pistol.

Primary fire will fire a kinetic blast at the target. Secondary will grapple onto the target. While grappled, you can use primary fire to launch the grappled thing, or you can waggle your mouse around to swing it into people. This is handy in levels like BGJ where you can stand on the ledge and swing or fire the shrapnel at players below. Also, in nar shadaa, you can grab a box then fire it at peoples heads from the area above the main hanger.

Currently, if an object is destroyed/killed while you're grappled, the gun will be glitched until you grapple something else with secondary. You won't see it, but a timer will be running in the background endlessly in this case. Any ideas on how to fix it? I'm sure it's something very simple I just overlooked.

Also, the final product won't be an actual gravity gun like HL2s. It is a new concept weapon designed by JediKirby and will include model/skin. I have planned several new gravity-based gametypes that will focus around this gun or variations of it, which I will implement once this is tested more.

Note: Should work in MP, where if you attack a player with secondary it should pull their weapon from their hand, including a lightsaber. BUT I can't play JK MP so I haven't tested my code at all. If any of you could try it out and let me know if it lags at all, and if the gun-grabbing works, that'd be awesome.

Please, don't use this for anything besides testing/private use. Email me @ switched.on@gmail.com or pm me with comments/suggestions/questions or even just post em in this thread

[could have made a new thread, but I don't mind if not many people see this yet, plus I'm lazy]
</sarcasm>
2004-12-07, 4:01 PM #6
Move over JediBall, we have a new and improved JediBall! --Think about it. Now you can HOLD the ball and fire it! How cool is that?
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2004-12-07, 4:20 PM #7
Should I add the ability to launch the player if you use the gun on an item that is immovable? Like, if you stand on an object and use the kinetic blast, should it launch the player instead since the force must be applied to something? I could set it so when you fire at a wall or the ground, the same thing would happen.

Ideas?

BTW has anyone had a chance to test this?
</sarcasm>
2004-12-07, 4:27 PM #8
I'll run through it when I get home from work later tonight. :D
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-08, 7:51 PM #9
My JK disk broke, so I'm waiting for my e-bay purchas to be delivered, then I will check it out as well as finish the model.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-12-09, 1:51 AM #10
*coughJK_.CDcough*

And a bad day last night, looking at it now.

[Forget me, I'm in my own world of Unlimited Things and a Mouse Cursor SDK]
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-09, 5:17 PM #11
I fixed the glitch with actors dying while in your grasp, as well as the glitch with items such as grenades and mines exploding in your grasp.
</sarcasm>

↑ Up to the top!