Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → JK SP scripting seems to be better.. Some questions?
JK SP scripting seems to be better.. Some questions?
2004-12-09, 7:49 PM #1
Well.. Lately.. I been edgeing to work on some hero themed ideas.. Swat AI team ideas.. As well Cinematic ideas.. I mean if I could for JA SP then you would already see it by now.. But JK seems to offer alot.. And seems to be more complicated?

Alrighty, First off.. Is it possible to persay in SP.. Have a character menu, Like choose what role of which character you wish to pertake.. Like if you wanted to be.. Batman.. You fight for the good of mankind.. Or fight as a swat member, you protect the innocent at all costs not knowing who is good or evil.. And lastly Joker.. You do nothing but reek havok..

Then there is attributes.. Possibility to climb objects, Lift objects (IE, Boxes, Or even.. A shutter garage door.. One that moves down and up persay..) Or a super-sensative sense.. Slow down time to your liking, I mean.. Have time slow down enough so you have the ability to react faster.. Xray vision googles.. I am just a newb to JK editing.. I admitt it.. And yeah it seems to be better if ya want to seriously go SP.. So these are my questions, if there are tuts I can read on.. Or scripts that can be made better.. Lil help would be nice!

PS (I kinda just am 12th out of 147 people to be near the top 10 best coders in my comp class.. So I understand what ya would say.. :) Just point me in the right direction!)

And if ya have any ideas.. Gameplay wise.. Super Hero themed.. I will be sure to add it in ;)..
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2004-12-09, 8:35 PM #2
Well... the short answer is yes, you could do (nearly) all of that.

Unfortunately, the short answer doesn't even begin to cover all the complex work you'd be up against.

- Dealing with modeling and animating in an archaic 3D engine.
- Designing and making levels that are archetectural masterpieces, as JK level design degenerated into a precision artform.
- Getting textures to look good in-game.
- Learning COG and then learning to think outside the box to get what you want to happen.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

As for answering specific quieries:
- In-game menus are soon to be a reality, with about 3 incarnations in working order, at least 1 of which should reach the public soon.
- Setting specific attributes based on a choice (player input) is doable.
- Climbing is sorta possible, though likely nothing like you'd want.
- Opening doors/lifting a "shutter garage door" would be cake.
- Lifting boxes is possible, possibly throwing them too.
- Using a Debug Mode flag, gameplay can be slwoed down, though it's a set amount of slowmotion, not scalable.
- X-ray vision is possible... though the exact style would vary greatly depending on method used.

However, it would take, uhm, hours to explain how to do some of those things, and that's after you understood the basics of COG.

JK's AI is pretty idiotic, with very poor decision-making, pathing and problem-solving. On the bright-side, pedestrians would be as stupid as you expect the average scared random bystander to be.

QM
2004-12-10, 5:38 AM #3
Hi SilentSavur, I think Quib pretty much summed it up, so here's here's a tiny rant:

JK Coding is far from complicated. Coding for JK is alot different from the C++ coding of Q3 based games. I myself would say it is 1000% easier to get something working in JK than in Q3 when you consider having to learn the engine/coding inside and out. The cogscript programming interface is something I just can't leave, it's simple, yet powerful, and doesn't require a compiler or fancy dev tools/knowledge. Cog is it's own programming language, but a tiny one limited to what can go on inside a running game.

However, you don't even get me started on the way LEC programmed in limits for resources. :p I got a friend who has researched and hex edited JK.exe to allow more than 640 things, so this leaves ALOT to the imagination if you wanted to make a level out of 3dos for complex architextue. (please don't ask about the hex edited JK.exe here, PM me about it) So we could probably smash away the 3do limit, and any other resource limit JK had crappily coded into it.

Quote:
- In-game menus are soon to be a reality, with about 3 incarnations in working order, at least 1 of which should reach the public soon.

Teehee! :D ;)

And as for tutorials on any cogging, they are scattered and leave much open to the questioner to R&D himself. :( The Editing Hub will change all of that though! Stay tuned. :cool:
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-10, 10:14 AM #4
It seems JK does offer alot, I mean ALOT of coding options.. I will be using mots however.. On a day when its not hectic for me.. I will open everything JK up and go nutz! And yeah.. I have alot of imaginative ideas ;).. Ranges from Spider-Man to Starship troopers.. Anywho I will reply back to your messages.. In about 7-8 hours because I gotta go to work.. So have a good night!
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--

↑ Up to the top!