Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Is there a maximum array (limit of variables) in cog?
Is there a maximum array (limit of variables) in cog?
2004-12-25, 7:09 PM #1
Pretty sure I've asked this before...but since the forum switch wiped out all the old posts and I can't search them any longer, I must ask again.

Is there a limit to the size of an array/maximum declarable variables in a single cog? I've had arrays close to 100...but I'm think of making something that will have more like 1100 variables (ideally, one array of 1000 things and some variables for working).

Anyone know.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2004-12-25, 7:22 PM #2
What do you need all those array values for? There may be a way to use the heap() verbs instead, because there is a array limit...I just can't remember
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-12-25, 8:36 PM #3
Hmm, yes, I believe there is, though I'm not sure what. The old posts seem to be there, they just aren't searched.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-12-26, 4:41 AM #4
Ive hit bizarre problems with more than 200 symbols.... Namely, the inability to create objects.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-12-26, 5:02 AM #5
I'm using a Heap of 8000+ elements, without a hitch. I think each cog gets its own max Heap ammount, which I've yet to hit. ;)
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-26, 7:11 AM #6
I'll have to look at the heap verbs and see if they can be used. It does seem like its around 200 like has been said.

I was going to use them as AI movement nodes.
-El Scorcho

2004-12-26, 8:04 AM #7
Well hell, the Heap verbs are what you need. Just store the thing number of each node in the heap, and use that as your array. :D
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-26, 8:06 AM #8
Ah... AI movement nodes. What, patrol a whole town? You could use frames, though, I'm not sure if there is a limit on frames...

There is something you should know, though, that the heap doesn't work in MP. Just so you know...

/Edward
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2004-12-26, 8:10 AM #9
Uh, yes it does.
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-26, 8:48 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
Ah... AI movement nodes. What, patrol a whole town? You could use frames, though, I'm not sure if there is a limit on frames...

I'm *hoping*, more than that. I haven't worked all the details out but...I'm hoping I can tell the AI "go here" and it will find the shortest doable route. I'm still working out a way to make the game do a lot of the work for me.

Quote:
There is something you should know, though, that the heap doesn't work in MP. Just so you know...

/Edward [/B]

In what capacity? It should be irrelevant since only the server will need direct access to the nodes. The client will just get the answer to the question.

I think I can use the heap verbs for what I'm trying to do.
-El Scorcho

2004-12-26, 9:00 AM #11
Saying the Heap verbs don't work in MP, is like saying an array of variables doesn't work in MP. It's totally false, and makes no sence. :p Edward, what were you doing with the Heap verbs that made you assume they didn't work in MP?

And El Scorcho, it's not a matter of thinking the Heap verbs will work, they will just work. :)
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-26, 10:31 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Hell Raiser
Saying the Heap verbs don't work in MP, is like saying an array of variables doesn't work in MP. It's totally false, and makes no sence. :p Edward, what were you doing with the Heap verbs that made you assume they didn't work in MP?

Well, I made this mod that changed all surface materials into something else when a certain item was activated, and when deactivated all material would return. Didn't work in MP, all material became one. Mod Name: Matrix Item: Force Seeing. It's here at Massassi if you want it.

/Edward
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2004-12-26, 11:42 AM #13
Most likely, something else causing the error. :) Doublechecked it through DataMaster, no mention of a problem in MP.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-12-27, 5:38 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
Well, I made this mod that changed all surface materials into something else when a certain item was activated, and when deactivated all material would return. Didn't work in MP, all material became one. Mod Name: Matrix Item: Force Seeing. It's here at Massassi if you want it.

/Edward

Umm yeah, it's defintely been done and works. Even has the same name as yours, but passes checksum. Something must have been wrong with your cog.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.

↑ Up to the top!