Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Rotation Crashing Problems
Rotation Crashing Problems
2004-12-30, 2:05 PM #1
Hello again, meet my problem: I have this pointer that moves back and forth according to the left/right motion of the mouse. (under param(0)==5). Everything worked masterfully... until I added rotation.

I want to rotate thing knob around the pitch axis, but as soon as I move my mouse now, MotS crashes. I've never done much with rotation before, and I'm a noob at vectors in general, so some help would be much appreciated.

Code:
playeraction:
if(GetParam(0)==14) return;
if(GetParam(0)==5.0) {
 SetThingVel(pointer, VectorScale(GetThingLVec(pointer), (GetParam(2)/1000)));
 Rotate(knob, VectorSet((GetParam(2)/1000), 0, 0)); 
}
ReturnEx(0);
return;
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-12-30, 9:19 PM #2
What are you trying to make it do with the rotate command (also what is "knob")?
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2005-01-01, 4:25 PM #3
knob is a 3do that has the pyr of 90 270 and 90.

I want it to rotate around the Y axis at a speed based on the left-right speed of my mouse.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-01-02, 3:14 PM #4
I don't know if I've ever seen the verb rotate do anything. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.

SetThingRotVel or RotatePivot may be your real options to use there. I think with rotate pivot you have to have a ghost point to pivot around though...and it needs a frame to explain in which way to rotate,...so I don't think you can just create a ghost object to rotate-pivot-around...

But I really don't knowabout these things for sure. Your computers and technology frighten me. I'm just a caveman.
2005-01-02, 4:11 PM #5
Rotates a path-controlled object 360 degrees with the given direction and velocity. If a thing is given two rotate commands, they will contradict each other. When the rotation is finished, the thing will be given an upright lookvector regardless of what it was before. Syntax:

Rotate(thing, rot_vel);

rot_vel: The rotation velocity is given in vector form. This vector gives the velocity and direction (pitch, yaw, roll) of the rotation.

Rotate() sets the current frame of the path-controlled thing to -1 while the thing rotates. When the rotation is completed, the current frame is set to 0 regardless of the frame that it was at.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-05, 3:58 AM #6
Thank you, DataMaster...
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-01-05, 11:47 AM #7
Thought it'd be useful. Might tell ya what's going wrong, lol. To make a note of something, have you set up a rotation frame?
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-05, 8:57 PM #8
What's a rotation frame? :[
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-01-05, 11:58 PM #9
Nm, I was thinking of RotatePivot(), I think.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-15, 8:13 AM #10
So... no one can tell me how to controllably rotate a thing?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!