Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Noob alert!
Noob alert!
2005-01-03, 6:26 PM #1
Right, I admit it, I'm a noob when it comes to cogging. Could someone point me towards a place where I could find FREE cogging begginer's tutorials?
I've got a website. It's at Geocities because I'm too cheap to get my own site.
2005-01-03, 6:50 PM #2
I seem to recall some good free cog tutorials for beginners being on some obscure site. what was it's name again. Ah yes I know now.

http://www.massassi.net

try there.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-03, 8:01 PM #3
1) Who the hell charges for cog tuts? :confused:

2) http://www.jediknight.net/darkfall/dfsept98/cogframe.html
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-03, 11:01 PM #4
Yeah... I had the same question. They're all free. Lol. For a good reference to cog, try here:

http://www.geocities.com/sabersdomain/files.html

Datamaster is quite a useful reference. Quite accurate (There's occasionally mistakes that are found, for instance with heap verbs).
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-04, 5:52 AM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Dude_Mann_JJ
Right, I admit it, I'm a noob when it comes to cogging. Could someone point me towards a place where I could find FREE cogging begginer's tutorials?

FREE? We can't make money with cogs.
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-04, 7:18 AM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by G-Man
FREE? We can't make money with cogs.

Well, Im not so sure... JKEdit was a commercial product...

Yeah, Ive made up my mind. Im going to charge royalties for all my cogs. Steep royalties. 1000$ for the initial cog, then an additional 10$ for each time the level is downloaded. All payments must be made in full and in advance to my Paypal account.

;)
2005-01-04, 9:11 AM #7
I was thinking that I didn't want someone to reccomend a book or something similar
I've got a website. It's at Geocities because I'm too cheap to get my own site.
2005-01-04, 10:03 AM #8
There are no books on COG. :s
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-04, 7:03 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
There are no books on COG. :s
What?!? :eek:

NO!!!!!!!

/obiwan

I recommend that while you're at saber's domain you also get a copy of parsec.
I also recommend that you get a copy of gbk's cogpad. I have found it much more useful than cogwriter (and even notepad!) for writing cogs, as it has a (complete) built-in cog verb adder, symbols adder, and an interface thingie to allow you to parse your code with parsec directly from cogpad with a simple hotkey (ctrl+d was it?), as opposed to saving and right-click commanding the cog file which can become tedious sometimes.
That's only a suggestion mind you, but you should at least get parsec - it's the most valuable tool available, next to the mentioned datamaster.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-01-04, 7:20 PM #10
Cog isn't a language that's in many games. As far as anyone here would know, JK and MotS are the only 2 games that Cog is implimented in.

Maybe the indiana jones games had cog? How about DF?

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-04, 8:58 PM #11
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine did use cog, as well as Star Wars: Droid Works. (a children's game)
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2005-01-04, 9:11 PM #12
DF uses INF. It mostly works with elevators and stuff. Takes getting used to...
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-04, 9:42 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
..Maybe the indiana jones games had cog?...

Aye, it does, but its a much, much more powerful version of cog. Its kinda sicking, actually, how powerful it is. :(

Quote:
I also recommend that you get a copy of gbk's cogpad....

:eek:

Your . . .your the first person Ive ever seen recommend Cogpad... *sniff*

Thank you. :)
2005-01-05, 5:43 AM #14
How much more elaborate is the cog for IJ:IM anyway? I thought JK cog was fairly powerful.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-05, 6:13 AM #15
Your . . .your the first person Ive ever seen recommend Cogpad... *sniff*

Thank you. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

You made GBK happy....

:eek:
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-05, 2:36 PM #16
Doesn't that mean that maybe we should be using indiana jones for all of our projects? Cog as well as an updated version of the Sith engine sounds like a fantastic engine for editing in. I'm sure JED would still work for it, if it uses sectors and 3DOs still.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-05, 2:38 PM #17
Quote:
Doesn't that mean that maybe we should be using indiana jones for all of our projects? Cog as well as an updated version of the Sith engine sounds like a fantastic engine for editing in. I'm sure JED would still work for it, if it uses sectors and 3DOs still.

JediKirby

If I recall correctly, IJ:IF cannot be legally edited.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-05, 2:49 PM #18
Dumb. It looks to have everything we've ever tried to do with JK. Rope physics, vehicles, vertex animation, dynamic lighting, all lights being dynamic, shadows, 3DO lighting, etc.

Looks like it doesn't have MP, though....

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-05, 8:12 PM #19
Yeah, the lack of MP is a real killer, I imagine. Plus some of the file formats are likely to have changed. But, I'll stick with JK.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-05, 9:58 PM #20
Aye, Indy lacked MP. Also, they changed the format of the levels, so using JED on it would be out of the question.
2005-01-06, 9:48 AM #21
Quote:
vertex animation

You mean skeletal animation? Infernal Machine did not have that. It was exactly like JK, they just hid it well.
2005-01-06, 10:18 AM #22
This is what i learned from:

http://michaelthompson.org/dj/tacc/ctut/index.shtml
2005-01-06, 2:41 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
You mean skeletal animation? Infernal Machine did not have that. It was exactly like JK, they just hid it well.

I thought it had moving lips and stuff, which requires vertex animation.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-06, 2:45 PM #24
Nope, it's done the same as JK. The mouthes basically opened and closed, maybe a few other positions.

↑ Up to the top!