Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Created: in Kyle.cog?
Created: in Kyle.cog?
2005-01-10, 6:11 AM #1
Has anyone tried using Created: in kyle.cog? I would assume it would work over the network, so that for example, you could check the model, and change the pup file, and that would run on each computer, no?
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-10, 6:23 AM #2
I haven't tried it.

I mentioned this in another thread, but no one commented one way or the other so I assumed that no one knew for sure. It appears to me, that walkplayers ARE the player. Or rather, the player takes control of a walkplayer in a level when they join. Thats why when you only have one walkplayer no one can join....because they don't have a walkplayer to take control of.

Now, thats just a hunch based on the template structure for walkplayers so I don't know for sure or anything. But if that were the case I would imagine created wouldn't ever get called.

On a related note:
I take it you're still trying to avoid using sendtrigger?
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-10, 8:19 AM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by El Scorcho
...It appears to me, that walkplayers ARE the player....

Uhh, yeah. Thats also why the level crashes on load if you dont have any walkplayers.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-10, 8:31 AM #4
My Fiancee ain't gonna like it, but I'm gonna install JK on her computer so I can finally test these MP questions I have. :o
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-10, 9:11 AM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Uhh, yeah. Thats also why the level crashes on load if you dont have any walkplayers.

What I'm saying is...the player becomes/takes control of the walkplayer thing when they join a game, rather than them just being spawnpoints. If there were no spawn points, logically the game would crash as well. So that isn't really proof of the matter in and of itself.
-El Scorcho

2005-01-10, 11:07 AM #6
You do take over the walkplayer. The thing number for your player is the same as the walkplayer, and (I have checked this) jk keeps your position/orientation/pitch/player name/velocity and other things in the spot for the walkplayer thing.
Air Master 3D (my iPhone game)
My Programming Website
2005-01-10, 3:33 PM #7
Why not just use startup/newplayer?
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-01-10, 3:38 PM #8
Startup isn't a global running message, neither is newplayer. I'd like to be able to have for example, a new pup file ParseArg()'d depending on player model, but not have to run a network message like SendTrigger().

(This is assuming that when a player joins, the created: message is called for other players already in the game...)
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-10, 3:54 PM #9
Walkplayers still exist and show up as "players", even when not in "use". So I think the idea of them being "taken over" is most accurate. As they never seem to be created, just have their positions reset.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-10, 4:13 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Hell Raiser
Startup isn't a global running message, neither is newplayer. I'd like to be able to have for example, a new pup file ParseArg()'d depending on player model, but not have to run a network message like SendTrigger().

(This is assuming that when a player joins, the created: message is called for other players already in the game...)

Why not:

for(i = 0; i <= GetNumPlayers(); i = i + 1)
{
if(GetThingModel(GetPlayerThing(i)) == whatever)
parsearg("pup=blah.pup");
}

Stick it in joined or something...(dunno if that works) or just have it a clientside cog that always runs. Use a pulse and only run the code on this relational test and when you originally join:

If(GetNumPlayers() != oldplayers)
{
oldplayers = GetNumPlayers();

do above crap
}
-El Scorcho

2005-01-10, 4:54 PM #11
Yep, that would work. :) Der. :o
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-11, 9:16 AM #12
you can probably make a new template based on walkplayer and have the arg puppet=mypuppet.pup or change the 3do or whatever. Then just place that in the level instead of the original "walkplayer"
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2005-01-11, 12:33 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by F-Body
you can probably make a new template based on walkplayer and have the arg puppet=mypuppet.pup or change the 3do or whatever. Then just place that in the level instead of the original "walkplayer"

I have to assume he wants different pups for different models/characters. Otherwise, the best way to do it would be to just edit ky.pup to whatever he liked.
-El Scorcho

↑ Up to the top!