Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Template won't create!
Template won't create!
2005-01-12, 8:45 AM #1
template vanish (+firecloud) refuses to create, even if I coment out SetGrowthSpeed. Could you help?
Code:
# Teleport Any Actor, like marbles.
#
# By Edward
symbols

message		entered

sector		slurp	mask=0x41C
sector		point

template	vanish
template	remat

sound		gone
sound		ret

thing		v	local

end
#
code
entered:
	If(GetSenderRef()!=slurp)
	v=CreateThingAtPos(vanish,slurp,GetSectorCenter(slurp),'0 0 0');
	SetParticleGrowthSpeed(v,-50);
	PlaySoundPos(gone,GetThingPos(GetSourceRef()),1,-1,-1,0x0);
	v=CreateThingAtPos(remat,point,GetSectorCenter(point),'0 0 0');
	StopThing(GetSourceRef());
	TeleportThing(GetSourceRef(),v);
	PlaySoundPos(ret,GetThingPos(GetSourceRef()),1,-1,-1,0x0);
return;
end

Why I want a negative grows speed is because I want the thing to have the effect of getting sucked in.

PS. Anyone wondering about the line break of slurp and point is the forums fault. Not mine!

/Edward
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2005-01-12, 9:05 AM #2
What's the template?
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-12, 9:37 AM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by LKOH_SniperWolf
What's the template?

+firecloud
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-12, 11:51 AM #4
I meant, the actual template...

+firecloud _none blah blah blah...
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-12, 3:37 PM #5
Look it up! It is a standard JK template!
2005-01-12, 4:20 PM #6
You might need to give the thing time to expand before sucking itself back in. I've done work with this type of particle behavior before, in PWP3. I suppose you could set the growth to a very high positive and after 0.01 seconds or something, set it to a low negative, to make it seem as if the particles are created away from the "center of mass", if you will, and look like they are not being created at the center, expanded, then sucked back in.

Also, if you set a negative growth and the particles suck back past their origin (i.e. start expanding in the negative direction), they will start to flicker rapidly. Actually, they don't seem to actually expand that much negatively -- they still stay packed together.

btw, I found that setting rotvel after setting a new growth speed via SetGrowthSpeed() will result in crap -- the particles will jump around and it doesn't look good at all.

Figured since we're on the topic of particles I'd share some of my observations, on the chance that someone might find them handy, or perhaps hel solve this problem.

Hopefully this will help someone.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-01-12, 6:43 PM #7
I'm lazy Edward, lol. But if it's standard, then, hmm, not sure. Hmm, I've got a slight idea. Try changing it from If to if... remove the capital. Just a guess.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-12, 8:11 PM #8
wait a minute! Put a return after that if statement!

since sector slurp is the only sector that will send the entered message, that if statement will never be true, and currently the createthingatpos() is stuck in the "imaginary" block succeeding the if statement. Thus, since the if statement is never true, the block never executes, and your particles are never created.
2005-01-12, 8:18 PM #9
ding! ding! ding! We have a winner :)

That was one of the most obvoiusly non-obvious things I've seen in a while from a brief glance. (aka. I didn't see it till I read Slaw's comment)
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2005-01-13, 2:16 AM #10
Shoot - was just reading this thread and arrived at that conclusion... but I see Slaw beat me to it ;) (and ditto SG-Fan ;))

-Jackpot
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2005-01-13, 3:52 AM #11
The most obvious, non-obvious, unobvious thing sure does cause a problem! I just have to get more awake!

*puts his head between 4 flippers and receives wiplash (sp?)*
2005-01-13, 1:26 PM #12
Uhm, why couldn't point be the sector that sent the message?
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-01-13, 6:56 PM #13
egh, I was tired. bad wording. Of course, I originally thought that he could have eliminated the if statement altogether, but then I noticed sector 'point', and changed my wording to simply adding a return and not the other part about slurp being the only one to send the message. I just didn't fully revise my post, that's all. sorry.

↑ Up to the top!