Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → An Idea: Sexy Maps
An Idea: Sexy Maps
2005-02-01, 9:39 AM #1
I had this idea a while back when working on an RPG mod (which suprisingly didn't get finished). Basically the idea was using a graphic for the map instead of the automap.

This would be displayed the same way as SavageX's (and others) in-game menus, an animation plays where you get the map out and bring it up to your display.

Basically, it wouldn't be an accurate map. You'd have a different frame in the mat for the player being at the different locations. Obviously this is only feasible with a fairly small number of locations. But it would be a rough guide about your overall location for those complex maps like Drazen and Barons Hed RPG. I thought it could also be used in things like Rollmod to show you your location on the course.

How it Works
- You place a ghost thing at the middle of all your major locations (or at regular intervals around the rollmod course).
- For each ghost you have a corresponding frame in the map mat which indicates the player being at that location.
- Whenever the map is viewed, a cog calculates which of the ghosts is closest to you and chooses that frame of the mat to display (you'd probably also want to give routes between locations a ghost/frame as well - Pokémon style).
- For Rollmod, all you'd need is a way to keep the map on display at all times to one side of the screen.

Thoughts?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-01, 9:44 AM #2
Its a good idea, but it'd be a huge PITA having to make different map screens for all the different locations. And with a huge map, it would be a time consuming task to say the least.

Might I ask, what was your RPG mod was going to consist of? I've been sort of kicking an idea like that around lately.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-02-01, 9:47 AM #3
Can't really remember. It wouldn't really be that many images though. Think of Zelda 64, huge world, only about 10 map locations.

In Drazen you'd just need stuff like:
- Beach
- Boat
- Drazen Gazette
- Mayor's House
- That Clothes Shop
- That Restaurant
- The Tunnel
- Security Office
- Hotel
- Swimming Pool
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-01, 11:02 AM #4
I suppose if you broke it down into basic chunks it wouldn't be that hard.

You'll probably need a better system than the ghosts/distance calculation though. Locations are usually oddly shaped, and a small location next to a large location would very easily yield the result of you being in the wrong location on the map.

It would be a pain...but sector flags would be exact.
-El Scorcho

2005-02-01, 3:50 PM #5
I suppose locations could be given a priority variable and a range variable. So if you're closer to a small location with a small range but a high priority then it gets chosen over a large area you may also be in range of.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-01, 3:55 PM #6
You could just change a variable whenever a sector adjoin was passed.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-02-01, 5:30 PM #7
We should be able to pop up a 'holographic' map (like a HUD) of drazen isle (or parts of it, if you like) and put a marker on it showing the exact location of the player as the player moves. This would just be cog calculations running in a pulse. The player's position is given in x,y,z coordinates, so for an overhead map, just translate the x,y coords into the map's coords.

Am I missing something here, or is that what you were saying?

:)
2005-02-01, 6:05 PM #8
That's a possibility, but I was thinking of a more RPG-like map. Or a treasure-map. Not a particularly accurate representation of the level but has all the key landmarks and locations and the paths between them.

Or with rollmod, just having a drawing of the outline of the course.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-01, 10:24 PM #9
Put up an image of what you mean, cause, yeah, I was thinking like what Zeq was...
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-02-02, 12:16 AM #10
I think he means like Thief's maps. A map showing the basic outline of the level, landmarks and your general position (sectors work well for this).
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-02-02, 4:05 AM #11
Like This:
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-02, 9:05 AM #12
In such a case, a sector listing might be more appropriate to determine the region the player's in.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-02-02, 11:24 AM #13
Levels tend to have quite a lot of sectors. There could easily be 100 sectors to represent just one area, that's a lot to enter into cogfields. Not to mention the fact that as you're developing the level the sector indexes will be changing all the time. A method that isn't affected by moderate changes in level structure would be far more appropriate.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-02, 12:18 PM #14
Personally, I would use sets of unused sector flags to define the different zones. Then I would just get the players sector flags to determine zone in game.

It would require work for the editor, but I cannot think of any way around this that would always yield correct results. You could use adjoins to set things as well, but what about spawning? Or teleportation?

Entering all the sectors in the cog would not work, as cogs have a limit of 200 or so definable variables.
-El Scorcho

2005-02-02, 12:24 PM #15
Perhaps, but it'd bring up a particular problem. One I noticed in your map. Assuming it was just distance nearest ghost, consider the canyon. The radius to center of canyon, would overlap the grassy area outside of the canyon. I suppose a solution would be to define a greater amount of location ghosts along the canyon itself.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-02-02, 12:35 PM #16
yeah, you could have multiple ghosts representing the same area, that should be fairly easy to work with.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-03, 5:36 AM #17
I still think sector flags are the way to go. Multiple ghosts would still be error prone and more difficult for the editor to set up IMO, since you'll need to account for Z axis coverage as well as X/Y. I'm not saying you couldn't make it work, I just think it would be very hard to do. Especially since you aren't going to get a visual sphere representation in JED to make it any easier.

Set different zones as different layers, multiselect the layer when finished, add the relevant sector flag and you're done.
-El Scorcho

2005-02-03, 6:58 AM #18
You can increase the robustness of that system by, in the COG, checking if there is no applicable flag. If there is none, it'll find the closest sector to the player that does and assume that. This reduces error if the player is standing in a small sector the author forgot to flag.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-02-03, 7:16 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
You can increase the robustness of that system by, in the COG, checking if there is no applicable flag. If there is none, it'll find the closest sector to the player that does and assume that. This reduces error if the player is standing in a small sector the author forgot to flag.

Thats a good idea.
-El Scorcho

↑ Up to the top!