Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → How to increase/decrease damage for 2ndary fire?
How to increase/decrease damage for 2ndary fire?
2005-02-04, 5:55 PM #1
Not sure how it's done: how would I go about increasing and/or decreasing the damage a weapon does in primary and/or secondary fire...?

_K_
2005-02-05, 3:36 AM #2
That can be done in two ways, if I remember correctly. The first way is to alter the template the weapon fires. But that is quite some work to do, and it requires even more work if you want it to work in multiplayer (I just mention client/server cogging).
The second way is to use the extra flex and projectile flags values in the FireProjectile verb:
Code:
FireProjectile(fire_thing, template, sound, submode, offset_vec, error_vec, extra_flex, proj_flags, AA_FOVX, AA_FOVZ);

If you enter 0x2 as projectile flags, you can scale the damage of the projectile with the extra flex value. That means, if you enter a 2 as extra flex, the damage will be twice as high as normal. The original damage will be multiplied by this extra flex. Not sure about explosion damage, though. I think it won't be affected, because explosions really are a new template.
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-02-05, 6:09 PM #3
Holy Krap...! I tried to do the template thing first: ended up with a pistol that sounded like it fired, the character played keys that looked like both primary & 2ndary fire, respectively, were being fired -- but no blaster-bolt exited the weapon...!

Is there a tutorial on weapon template creation that I am overlooking...?

Incidentally, the projectile flags x2 then adjust the x-tra thrust values seemed to have accomplished what I needed... sure wish I knew what's up with the template creation in JK, though...

THANX...!

_K_
2005-02-06, 2:57 AM #4
Well, template creation is one of the more advanced things you can do in JK, and it brings a long a whole new complexity in cogging, too (at least if you want to use your own templates in a multiplayer mod).
There is a tutorial by gunBoy explaining some things especially related to weapon templates: http://www.massassi.net/tutorials/weapon_template/
But I really suggest you take a look at some mods. Extract the static.jkl file of your favourite mods and compare the templates with the original JK ones.
Here is another useful resource, if you really want to get serious with your own templates: http://millennium.meekstreet.com/tutorials/
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-02-06, 9:08 AM #5
Thanx for the info zag -- you rock...!

_K_
2005-02-06, 12:26 PM #6
Hold the gratitude a bit back, ok? It's a normal thing in this community to help as best as one can. Too much gratitude only marks you as newbie :). No seriously, it makes me sad, because it should be commonplace, not something rarely found.
Argh, ignore the lamentation of an old fool.
*Goes off to hang headfirst on a tree for some hours*

↑ Up to the top!