Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Slamming Fall Cog [.gob appreciated]
Slamming Fall Cog [.gob appreciated]
2005-02-24, 11:48 AM #1
Can someone set me up a gob where when the player falls from a high place, instead of receiving damage, the damage he would receive is expelled outwards in a splash damage. From the higher up, the larger the splash damage. I'd also like a ripple effect made by some 3DOs. I'll provide the different sized 3DOs in a few. About 6 should do it. This should work in both SP and MP, and should cause knockback. No effects besides the rippling 3DOs and a slam sound (I know there's one in JK, not an explosion). By the way, the player falling receives no damage.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would do this, as I assume it's not all that difficult, thanks in advance.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-02-24, 2:13 PM #2
remind me of space soldiers 3
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-02-24, 4:16 PM #3
Because I love you sooooooooo much, I'm going to help you with this. :p :p :p
-Hell Raiser
2005-02-24, 4:22 PM #4
I KNEW IT!

(He isn't gay, I... checked :gbk:)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-02-24, 8:43 PM #5
Isn't there a fall damage flag? If not, I'm not sure how you'd reverse the effect when it was lethal.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-02-24, 9:48 PM #6
0x40 64 Surface collision.

Damage flags. Bought the closest you can come to finding falling damage. Another alternative would be actually altering the level, changing the flags of all floors in the level. But otherwise, just catch the damage in kyle.cog and if surface collision, remove the damage. Though that would prevent some other things from working correctly. Though I guess you could check if there had been a negative thrust. (downward)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-02-24, 10:54 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
I KNEW IT!

(He isn't gay, I... checked :gbk:)

Fixed.
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-02-24, 11:51 PM #8
The only other time you recieve impact damage is if you get slammed into a wall or run into one, in which case, what Kirb wants would kind of apply to the laws of his physics.

(You can also recieve impact damage from a thing that hits you, but flags can be added to that thing so it doesn't cause impact damage)

[http://www.hellraiser64.com/tdir/forums/images/smiles/cheer.gif]
-Hell Raiser
2005-02-25, 8:47 AM #9
If you created the boom at the position of the player, it shouldn't affect him, right?
2005-02-25, 9:39 AM #10
Wrong. But there is a projectile flag, I think (or an explosion flag) that can be checked/unchecked to not affect the parent of the explosion...
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-02-25, 9:58 AM #11
The template needs to be type=weapon or type=explosion and have typeflag=0x1 or 0x40 (respectively) on it for it not to affect the parent.
-Hell Raiser
2005-02-25, 10:54 AM #12
Ah, I see. I figured since it was in the exact same location it wouldn't be able to find a valid direction and thus ignore it.
2005-02-25, 11:52 AM #13
I'm pretty sure that applies as well. :)
-Hell Raiser
2005-02-25, 3:17 PM #14
I don't think it needs a direction. It could just subtract any victim's position vector from the explosion's position vector and check the resulting vector's length. If smaller than explosion range -> apply damage. If the two positions are the same, the resulting vector will have length 0...which is usually smaller than explosion range...
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)

↑ Up to the top!