Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → High speed collisions...INSTANT collisions?!
High speed collisions...INSTANT collisions?!
2005-03-15, 2:24 PM #1
Yes, you heard right, no more waiting for your collisions to happen, make them happen now! (Though the idea is to fix the problem with high speed projectiles exploding early when they collide vs things).

(I think the reason they explode early is just because jk only checks each frame for collision, and if it finds a collision vs a thing it will make the explosion at the last frame's position rather than interpolating to where it *actually* happened, which is only obvious when you have projectiles that travel large distances each frame)

http://www.hellraiser64.com/jkhub/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66
Air Master 3D (my iPhone game)
My Programming Website
2005-03-15, 3:31 PM #2
Why does it take people so long to make something we all know how should work? Nice one Sige.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-03-15, 3:57 PM #3
Grammar man, grammar man, wth are you saying Emon man? :o
-Hell Raiser
2005-03-19, 4:06 AM #4
Wow :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why weren't you around 3 years ago? Huh? I needed proper collision detection SO many times... especially with the ledge hanging and mouse picking stuff. Of course, this doesn't work with 3DOs so I'm not sure I'd find it useful but what am I talking about. I don't JK anymore.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-03-19, 10:28 AM #5
Sure, it works with 3dos. But, only using sphere collision. So that limits what you can use it with.
My Programming Website
2005-03-21, 1:10 AM #6
Nice, but I have to agree with Fardreamer...it's no solution for a map consisting of large 3dos.
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-03-21, 10:33 AM #7
Right, it wasn't intended to be used with large 3dos :/
However assuming you*aren't* using large 3dos, or that it would be enough to have sphere collisions against some 3dos (lets say for the most obvious case of shooting other players) then it is good enough. That at least was the idea/request behind this cog (so someone must have a use for it, otherwise where did the idea come from...)

Again, the idea is best suited for shooting other players or something involving tracing against an object of about that size. You can adjust the cog to ignore certain objects or types of objects as well. It is also designed for normal levels, not levels created heavily out of 3dos. Box collision could also be added, but it would require information that I don't think jk would provide normally (the box). Same goes for polygon collision, it could be done but the information isn't available normally.
My Programming Website
2005-03-21, 11:52 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Sige
Box collision could also be added, but it would require information that I don't think jk would provide normally (the box). Same goes for polygon collision, it could be done but the information isn't available normally.

Could be done? How? With an external hack?
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-03-21, 4:36 PM #9
Yes, with something external most likely. If it were something simple, like defining a collision box or a simple shape to use as the collision primitive, then you could probably do it through jk somehow (pass it to the cog, maybe store it as an unused template parameter). For high detailed models and polygon collision you'd most likely have to have some external program read in the faces and store them into the cog's heap. Maybe you could somehow pass in extra information by storing it as unused sectors or faces, but that might be a bit out of the way (as if using an external program isn't...).
I wouldn't try to use this to replace player movement...wouldn't want people falling through stuff or getting stuck :/
My Programming Website

↑ Up to the top!