Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → The "Basilica" Cog Help Thread
The "Basilica" Cog Help Thread
2005-06-01, 12:26 PM #1
Yes, I am at the mercy of the almighty Cog forum once more! :D

Just to provide the relevant information, I' working on a Jedi Knight Arena level at the moment called "Basilica" which can be found out about in the Showcase forum here.

It is currently in the beta testing stages. I have a page over at the JK Editing Hub, with a bug report - check it out at this link.

Now, I seem to be having troubles with the cogs. ZeqMacaw and JAS_Palidori, kindly pointed out several. Perhaps someone could help me set them up correctly by downloading my level and opening it up in JED, because that would be so much easier than trying to describe things over a forum. The level is available for download here: http://jkhub.massassi.net/project/show.php?projid=25§ion=download

Here are the cog-related things giving me trouble according to my Beta-Testers (and myself):

Quote:
- The weapon selection switches operate correctly, but do not affect weapons used in the arena.

- Each player starts with a bryar and a saber in setup room, and can kill each other. This should not be.

- ...the game quits back to JK menus on the first kill.

Here's more of a request by Paladori and myself:
Quote:
- some kind of 'flash' cog , so u hear the lightning, and could see the light flicker in level

So pretty much (for the above), I just need a cog that flickers all the level lights in the arena ONLY (not the lobby) on and off for a moment every 15 seconds or so.

Here are some things I noticed:
Quote:
-There seem to be some issues with the dynamic lighting flickering. I don't know how to fix tihs (GBK's cog always seems to mess things up for me).

- The spectator camera cog that Quib Mask made for me, doesn't seem to work again, am I setting it up wrong?

Here's the specatator camera cog:

Code:
# Jedi Knight Cog Script
#
# qm_spectator.cog
#
# Let's a player spectate other players by activating a switch.
#
# [QM]
#
# (C) 1997 LucasArts Entertainment Co. All Rights Reserved

flags=0x240

symbols

surface     spectate_button

thing       player=-1                        local
thing       victim=-1                        local
thing       camera=-1                        local
template    camera_tpl=ghost                 local
int         pcount=-1                        local
int         camera_sig=-1                    local
vector      player_dir                       local
vector      player_loc                       local

message     activated
message     pulse
message     removed

end

#  ==================================================
======================================

code

activated:
   player = GetSourceRef();
   player_dir = GetThingLVec(player);
   player_loc = GetThingPos(player);
   ClearActorFlags(player, 0x1);
   SetActorFlags(player, 0x840000);
   pcount = pcount + 1;
   if(pcount >= GetNumPlayers())
   {
      pcount = -1;
      call stop_cam;
      Return;
   }
   if(GetPlayerThing(pcount) == player)
   {
      call activated;
      Return;
   }
   if(camera == -1)
   {
      camera = CreateThing(camera_tpl, player);
      camera_sig = GetThingSignature(camera);
      CaptureThing(camera);
   }
   else
   {
      DetachThing(camera);
   }
   victim = GetPlayerThing(pcount);
   TeleportThing(camera, victim);
   AttachThingToThingEx(camera, victim, 0x8);
   SetCameraFocus(1, camera);
   SetPulse(0.01);
   Return;

# ........................................................................................

pulse:
   if(IsThingCrouching(player))
   {
      call stop_cam;
      Return;
   }
   if(!(VectorDist(GetThingPos(player), player_loc) == 0))
   {
      call stop_cam;
      Return;
   }
   if(!(VectorDist(GetThingLVec(player), player_dir) == 0))
      SetThingLook(player, player_dir);
   SetCurrentCamera(1);
   Return;

# ........................................................................................

removed:
   if(GetSenderRef() != camera) Return;
   SetCameraFocus(1, player);
   Return;

stop_cam:
   SetPulse(0);
   SetActorFlags(player, 0x1);
   ClearActorFlags(player, 0x840000);
   SetCameraFocus(1, player);
   if(GetThingSignature(camera) == camera_sig) DestroyThing(camera);
   camera = -1;
   CycleCamera();
   CycleCamera();
   Return;

end

Finally, Would it be easier for people if I uloaded an un-gobbed version of my level so that the .tpl would remain intact?

Please get back to me on tihs one guys. Thanks!
:)
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-06-01, 1:40 PM #2
I might give the lightning cog a shot, but the rest is too time intensive for me, sorry. I think you could get your best help from the people who initially created JKArena. If they are still around (yeah, I don't know who they are, SO WHAT?).
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-06-01, 2:38 PM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by zagibu
I might give the lightning cog a shot, but the rest is too time intensive for me, sorry. I think you could get your best help from the people who initially created JKArena. If they are still around (yeah, I don't know who they are, SO WHAT?).

Thanks. I know Brian, MegaZZTer, oSiris, and Detty were involved, among others, so I can hopefully contact them.

Mega has helped me with this stuff in the past, so maybe I'll ask him.
2005-06-01, 2:49 PM #4
I'm 99% sure the problem with the spectator COG is it copy&pasted off the website wrong.

Look at line 32, it's the divider between "end" and the "code" section.

It looks like
Code:
#  ========================================================================================

but it shouldn't be two lines like that. It should look like
Code:
#  ==================================================

QM
2005-06-01, 3:13 PM #5
Thanks, I fixed that, but it still doesn't seem to work.

Personally, I don't think the cog is responding to the button. I "click" the said button, and nothing happens, no noise, no text at top of screen, no indication that there is a connection between it and the cog.

And I don't see how it can work, when there is only one specified variable:
Attachment: 5311/cog.jpg (37,977 bytes)
2005-06-01, 3:25 PM #6
I've got the lightning cog, graphics and template prepared. I've still been working on the rain too, it's just kinda difficult to get right. I'll attach the appropriate lightning stuff in a bit.
Want a looping thunder sound too?
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-01, 4:23 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by LKOH_SniperWolf
I've got the lightning cog, graphics and template prepared. I've still been working on the rain too, it's just kinda difficult to get right. I'll attach the appropriate lightning stuff in a bit.
Want a looping thunder sound too?

Wow, thanks, I didn't know you were still working on that. I already have a looping bit of rain and thunder, but it's not the best quality, and yours might well be better, so go ahead and attach it if it's no trouble.

It's great to hear you've still been doing this, although Zagibu got the rain working quite nicely in my level. Have you tried it out yet?
2005-06-01, 11:05 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Daft_Vader
Thanks, I fixed that, but it still doesn't seem to work.

Personally, I don't think the cog is responding to the button. I "click" the said button, and nothing happens, no noise, no text at top of screen, no indication that there is a connection between it and the cog.

Well, if you're alone, it won't do anything. There is no code to print anything or play any noise either, so that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally posted by Daft_Vader
And I don't see how it can work, when there is only one specified variable:

You definately need to reconsider this train of thought. The only variable that's actually meant to be modified by the level designer is which surface the COG is attached to. I made all other variables "local" meaning you can't edit them in the level's COG definition, because none of them should be changed from the defaults I set. There are COGs that can be used in a level that have no variables defined by the level creator that still function and do what they were designed to. Anyway, I just got home, so I'll fire up a midnight session of JK and double check it works with 2 and 3 people and let you know tomorrow. I'll add a customizable sound to the COG and post it for you tomorrow. Do you want a text display too? Unless I do something complicated, it'd print every time the user presses activate to switch between spectated targets.

QM
2005-06-01, 11:24 PM #9
Everything that you suggested would be great. Make it so.

At this stage though, I'd just really like to see how the camera looks for myself. Does it really "chase" the contestants around, and does it cycle through both contestants in the arena? I'd also like to add 4 of these switches in the level (there's only one in my currently released version), so that multiple people can use them at once. Will that work?
2005-06-02, 3:14 AM #10
If you're starting with a saber and a bryar in the spectator area it sounds like you haven't edited your master.tpl to use the arena_client.cog as opposed to the main kyle cog. There are instructions for implementing the JK Arena cogs here:

http://www.massassi.net/jkarena/index.php?x=forauthors#2.2.4

If it still doesn't work, again make sure it downloaded correctly (didn't add extra line breaks or whatever).
2005-06-02, 8:15 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
If you're starting with a saber and a bryar in the spectator area it sounds like you haven't edited your master.tpl to use the arena_client.cog as opposed to the main kyle cog. There are instructions for implementing the JK Arena cogs here:

http://www.massassi.net/jkarena/index.php?x=forauthors#2.2.4

If it still doesn't work, again make sure it downloaded correctly (didn't add extra line breaks or whatever).

Thanks, I didn't even know about that Brian! I'll try it out.
2005-06-02, 8:11 PM #12
Finally got around to zipping this up. I've had this part for well over a year, but the rain itself is much more difficult. I'll have to do as three seperate attachments, I think.
Attachment: 5336/lightning.zip (86,026 bytes)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-02, 8:12 PM #13
a
Attachment: 5337/lightning2.zip (17,141 bytes)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-02, 8:18 PM #14
This one's actually a RAR. It was the only way to get it into the size limit.
Attachment: 5338/lightning3.zip (74,481 bytes)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-02, 10:00 PM #15
I haven't really got a chance to try it out yet, but I seem to be missing the thunder.snd

Did you not include that in the zips?
2005-06-02, 10:14 PM #16
IT'S ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16013.jpg]
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16014.jpg]
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16015.jpg]
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/16016.jpg]

Kudos to LKOH_Sniperwolf!
2005-06-02, 10:16 PM #17
thunder.snd

(Yep, I forgot it. I haven't modified this thing for a long while, so I guess I forgot it existed.)

(You might want to move the ghosts up a bit... Seem pretty close to the ground.)
Attachment: 5340/thunder.zip (269 bytes)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-02, 10:20 PM #18
Quote:
thunder.snd

(Yep, I forgot it. I haven't modified this thing for a long while, so I guess I forgot it existed.)

(You might want to move the ghosts up a bit... Seem pretty close to the ground.)

Thanks. I'll move the Lightning up.

Also, it seems to stop after a while, like it will only go once for each ghost that is mentioned in the cog. Have you ever had the problem of it stopping after so many bursts?
2005-06-02, 10:32 PM #19
Hmm, it seems this is the case - I have eight ghosts in my level and the lightning only seems to occur 8 times total before stopping altogether? Why is this?

Also, is there a way of making the lightning occur more often and at random intervals? Thanks.
2005-06-02, 11:45 PM #20
Oh, the lightning hasn't actually stopped. I originall needed the lightning to cover a larger area, and setting equivalency with rand() wasn't working, so I just had it cycle at random timings. With half the ghosts, there'll be a long wait time of approximately 8 pulses, which can be as long as 18 seconds (it's already random...). You can lower the interval just by changing this line...

SetPulse(rand()*15+3);
Next interval is in 3-18 seconds, chosen randomly. The plus creates the minimum amount. Added to the 15, the maximum amount. I felt 18 secs was a decently long time for lightning (which shouldn't occur too often...). There's two such lines in the code.

SetPulse(rand()*8+2);
Would mean a random time between 2-10 seconds.

Here, I've updated it so that it should handle things based on how many ghosts you have (use the ghosts in appropriate order, though...) Yeah, this cog was one of my earliest. Based off a template trap or something.
Attachment: 5342/randlightning2.txt (5,039 bytes)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-02, 11:49 PM #21
I just have to comment that I am thrilled with how well this project has brought several editors together to form a very nice level in a relatively short amount of time.

Let's hope we can continue this trend.

By the way, I will try to beta-test the 0.95 version later today.

:)
2005-06-03, 12:00 AM #22
Here's the spectator COG with sounds added.

QM
Attachment: 5343/spectator.zip (929 bytes)
2005-06-03, 7:26 AM #23
I've modified LKOH_SniperWolf's randlightning cog a bit, so that you can set a minimum and maximum lightning delay and thunder volume. It also uses a random ghost thing everytime, instead of cycling through the whole row.
WARNING: You must assign the ghost things in a closed row, when using this cog. If you skip over entries, the cog may behave irrational. You can't assign ghost0, leave ghost1, then assign ghost2 again.
The thunder volume thing might need some more tweaking. Let me know if the min/max values don't affect the volume as expected.
Attachment: 5344/randlightning2.cog.txt (2,293 bytes)
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-06-03, 12:43 PM #24
(The maxGhosts thing had been fine... just because rand would've given numbers 0 - (maxGhosts - 1)).
But yours should work fine too. It's shorter too :) (I was too lazy to worry about optimizing it...)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-03, 4:17 PM #25
Quote:
(The maxGhosts thing had been fine... just because rand would've given numbers 0 - (maxGhosts - 1)).
But yours should work fine too. It's shorter too :) (I was too lazy to worry about optimizing it...)

Thanks, I tried out the new cog (based on yours), and it works wonderfully. However, the dynamic lighting seems to be going crazy now.

Does anyone know the CORRECT version of the famed dynamic light control system cog I should use and how I should implement it?
2005-06-03, 9:40 PM #26
Darn I hate Dynamic Lights! But I hate Vertex Lighting even more, so this is what I'm stuck with. Currently, I'm having the same crapfest that occurred when I tried to light "Somnolence" (one of the primary reasons why it is still sitting on my hard-drive, unreleased). Here is the cog I am using, the same cog tht has been recommended to me time and again and almost inevitably lets me down.
Code:
# "Ode to Suzanne"
#
# Dynamic lighting controller
#
# 12/2002 - 07/2004 gbk
Symbols
	Message	Startup
	Message	Newplayer
	Message	Pulse
	Thing	Ghost0 #Position for each light.
	Thing	Ghost1
	Thing	Ghost2
	Thing	Ghost3
	Thing	Ghost4
	Thing	Ghost5
	Thing	Ghost6
	Thing	Ghost7
	Thing	Ghost8
	Thing	Ghost9
	Int	Used	#number of used lights. (ID of last used)
	Template	L	#Actual light template, eg. "Light1.0"
	Thing	LL0=-1		Local
	Thing	LL1=-1		Local
	Thing	LL2=-1		Local
	Thing	LL3=-1		Local
	Thing	LL4=-1		Local
	Thing	LL5=-1		Local
	Thing	LL6=-1		Local
	Thing	LL7=-1		Local
	Thing	LL8=-1		Local
	Thing	LL9=-1		Local
	Thing	Player		Local
	Sector	Player_sec	Local
	Flex	Rate=0.1	#Rate of replacement.
	Int	I=0		Local
End
Code
	Startup:
		Player = jkGetLocalPlayer();
		SetPulse(Rate);
	Stop;
	Newplayer:
		Player = Getsenderref();
		Setpulse(Rate);
	Stop;
	Pulse:
		Player_sec = Getthingsector(Player);
		For(I=0;I<=Used;I=I+1)
		{
			If(LL0 != -1)
				Destroything(LL0);
			LL0 = Createthingatpos(L, Player_sec, Getthingpos(Ghost0), '0 0 0');
			If(LL0 == -1)
				Print("Light creation failure!");
		}
	Stop;
End

I can get my level lit beautufully UNTIL I exceed 25 dynamic lights. At that point, everything goes to heck, and the level looks horrible. So here's the dilemma - without this cog, my Dynamic lights flicker terribly, with this cog, I'm limited to a pathetically small number of dynamic lights. I've tried combining DLs with vertex lighting, but the vertex lighting is truly horrid.

I've heard that 25 is the limit, but I'd love to learn otherwise. I know Friend14 has had major success with lighting in the past, and perhaps others have as well. Please post some suggestions for how to deal with this. TVTCS would be nice as well, but that's just wishful thinking.

And please don't suggest not using DLs. They look so much better than static lighting, and are also essential for the lightning effect in my level, plus numerous 3dos.

Sorry, for the rant, just somewhat tired of this.
2005-06-03, 10:47 PM #27
Well, you could do a distance check combined with a check to see if they are in view. If they don't pass the checks then chances are that the light can be off. The only problem is if the light is far away and its effects can be seen, but not the light itself.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2005-06-04, 12:08 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by SG-fan
Well, you could do a distance check combined with a check to see if they are in view. If they don't pass the checks then chances are that the light can be off. The only problem is if the light is far away and its effects can be seen, but not the light itself.

What exactly do you mean? Are you talking about a light that might, say, be in the arena not "technically" visible to a a human player, but considered to be "visible" to the camera by the engine, and thus taking up "space". If this is so, how do I get my level to only activate cameras that are in these 2 sections (lobby and arena) exclusively, so that cameras in the arena are not active for one player, while the said player is in the lobby? Also keep in mind that this is a MP level, so DLs need to activated/deactivated in a purely personal basis (I think the cog term for that might be local?)

Please explain if I understand you and, whether or not I do, how to correct this problem.
2005-06-04, 1:21 PM #29
Well if when you said cameras you meant lights then I think you kinda have the idea. Just wondering, how many lights are in the lobby and how many are in the arena? My idea was to activate the lights if they were close to you or could be seen. That way, if the lights arn't in view, they wouldn't be used.
The big problem with this cog is that inorder to prevent flickering, all lights are forced to be active PERIOD. But if you excede the limit, the engine can't activate some, and you get weird lighting. What I'm suggesting is to only activate the lights that you can see at the moment.
2005-06-04, 4:34 PM #30
Quote:
Just wondering, how many lights are in the lobby and how many are in the arena?

Currently:
17 lights in the arena
12 lights in the lobby

I had more, but I had to get rid of them to get the lighting working. Currently, my lights are not flickering, and all are activated. However, I would like to add back some of my old lights, because currently there are not enough lights and parts of the level suffer as a result.

here's the thing though: if I add just 1 more dynamic light, that is controlled by this cog, 1 of the original 29 lights will deactivate. So, we just need to find a way around this.

Quote:
What I'm suggesting is to only activate the lights that you can see at the moment.

Precisely. That's hat I meant to say, but failed to verbalize. The problem is, I know of only one cog that could do this, and GBK stopped working on it years ago - TVTCS. :(

If you think you could somehow miraculously summon up a similar cog, please go ahead! :p

(I'm not trying to put you off by the way, and I really don't know much about cog myself, so perhaps you could give it a shot if you feel like it, because I would LOVE you for that.)
2005-06-04, 5:37 PM #31
Here's a COG so the host can explore the arena. If the host crouches or a player joins the game, they get dumped back into the lobby.

Assign a switch, the teleport spot in the arena and the return spot in the lobby (I suggest using one of the player spawn points you already have in the arena and the return point from the weapons room so you aren't adding extra things). Also sounds for when the button is pressed and when you're kicked back to the lobby.

QM
Attachment: 5354/explore.zip (611 bytes)
2005-06-04, 6:46 PM #32
Hmmm, it doesn't seem to be working. I don't think this is your fault, nor mine, though. I didn't tamper with the cog you attached after I downloaded it, and I set up all of the parameters correctly. The cog is responding, because when I try to activate the surface, it gives me the "negative" click, pretty much telling me I can't teleport. I suspect the JKA main cogs are intefering with this one, preventing it from teleporting the player into the arena. What do you think?
2005-06-04, 7:24 PM #33
I edited your level to replace a spectator button with it and made 100% sure it worked before sending it off. Are you testing in multiplayer or through the single player debug option?

If we can't get it working for you within 10 minutes I'll make a debug version and we'll get it tracked down. Won't take long.

QM
2005-06-04, 8:28 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Quib Mask
I edited your level to replace a spectator button with it and made 100% sure it worked before sending it off. Are you testing in multiplayer or through the single player debug option?

If we can't get it working for you within 10 minutes I'll make a debug version and we'll get it tracked down. Won't take long.

QM

Ahh, I see once again I am at fault. Yes, I had been trying to test my level through the "new game" option instead of testing it via a new hosted MP game. I tried it out your recommended way, and it works flawlessly. Thankyou so much, once again my apologies for making much ado about nothing.
2005-06-04, 8:33 PM #35
No worries, I'll edit it so it works when testing in SP as well. Will post it in a bit (I can't imagine it's super important at the moment so won't bother for a bit).

QM
2005-06-04, 8:44 PM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Quib Mask
No worries, I'll edit it so it works when testing in SP as well. Will post it in a bit (I can't imagine it's super important at the moment so won't bother for a bit).

QM

No it's not. I fact, if you don't want to, I really wouldn't trouble with it. JKA was never meant for SP anyway. Do you mind if I share this cog with Zombize, since he was talking about needing something similar to test out his arena and the lobby at once?
2005-06-04, 8:46 PM #37
Btw, thanks for all the hard work you've put into this, your diligence and commitment shall not go unrewarded - I will mention you duly in the ReadMe and hopefully put your name somewhere more prominent as well.
2005-06-04, 9:19 PM #38
I prefer obscurity, a small blurb in the ReadMe at the most please. Without the level, any COG junk I throw up would mean nothing. Feel free to point this stuff out to Zojombize, if he hasn't noticed it already. As long as you leave [QM] in the COGs I'll be content.

Also, I wanted to help you troubleshoot the Dynamic Light problem you're having, but I'm not sure the best way to go about that would be. Could you maybe upload a version somewhere with all the dynamic lights you'd LIKE to have in the level, so I could goof around with it and see if I can figure anything out? Because the arena and lobby are totally seperate, I'd hypothesize that you could have only the DLs in the arena showing while in the arena, and only those in the lobby while in the lobby, with a COG toggling which are working.

QM
2005-06-04, 10:02 PM #39
That's what I was thinking quib, I can't remember though if the limit really is 25. For some reason, I thought GBK posted that it was only 8.

Daft, is the flicker cog you posted the one you're using? If so, I'll see if I can mod it for a distance/LOS check if Quib wants to give the arena vs lobby idea a shot.
2005-06-04, 10:03 PM #40
Well, I'm in a slight dilemma at the moment. If you go to my Hub page here - http://jkhub.massassi.net/project/show.php?projid=25§ion=download - you'll see that I just released a new version. All of the lighting in this version seems to be acceptable. In fact, I might not need to change much more after this BETA before I can offer a final release. I guess more lighting couldn't hurt, but I really am quite happy with out now. I didn't mean to make a moutain out of a molehill (and don't think I skimped - I did spend a good couple of hours getting the lighting just right with what I had), but I am fairly satisfied. My only qualm is that in the lobby you can no longer see the roof, because I didn't have enough spare DLs for that.

Quib, if you want to do me a favor, please just run an extensive test of my latest version, 0.99, and tell me what needs changing. Give me errors, but also tell me if you think there is something that you/I could make better, whether it's lighting, a cool new feature, the spectator cameras, etc.

Test my level out and tell me what you think and I will be happy. Trying it with other people is preferable, but at least with your new cog the host can enter the arena by himself. Just go to the weapons room and the "teleport to the arena" button will be on he back wall. :)

↑ Up to the top!