Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → massassi, your my only hope.... >_<
massassi, your my only hope.... >_<
2005-06-12, 4:59 PM #1
An editor, who shall remain nameless, and I are working on a few mod/level projects, some of which require the use of vehicles... thats the problem... we have little idea how to create one of these.... after searching we found a large ammount of cogs, which to our dispair did not function properly.

What we need is a vehicle cog that (with author's permission) can be used in the projects that where mensioned above, and get full credit for the cog.

Here is a description of what we need: For example, i want to get into an AT-ST, i walk up to it, hit activate, i'd then be "inside" the vehicle, my player animation and walkspeed would be according to the vehicle used, also no weapons but the weapons for that vehicle can be selected (im thinking make an extra weapon that willl only be selected inside the vehicle, and it'd stay on the weapon until you unmount). i walk around... shoot, blah blah..... then you hit something like.... use, or a key thats bound for "vehicle exit", you get out, the vehicle model stays there so i can wonder around do whatever and come back to it.....

I cant promise anything ever being released, but if we do release something, the author of the cog/cogs that we use, will receive full credit for their work/help... If you wish to help further on the projects, such as making other cogs, we'd be glad to include you....

Please, feel free to PM me for.... whatever reason >_<
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2005-06-12, 9:25 PM #2
Gimme a couple days and I'll work on it. Shouldn't be too hard.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-12, 11:43 PM #3
Ok, I've worked on it maybe half an hour, and here's what I've got (Started with the ATST idea):

Activate vehicle to enter it.
Press crouch to exit it.
When in vehicle, you move based on that vehicle.
(in case of ATST, rather slow...)

Working anims/sounds.
You can't fire you're weapon while in the vehicle.

Can once you're back out of vehicle.

Vehicle can take damage, etc (not fully tested).

To do:
Fix some sound stuff (mainly it's just due to differences between player and the vehicle...).
Work with the third person camera, and the head anim...
Allow player to fire the vehicles weapon by pressing activate.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-13, 12:39 AM #4
wow! thank you very much for the help :)

we where wondering if this cog can also be used for flying vehicles, like star fighters.... since our ideas have either land, air/space vehicles, or both.....

WE SALUTE YOU :D

[EDIT: Forgot to mension this was for JK, not MotS.... if you where working on a mots one then, sorry! :o ]
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2005-06-13, 10:09 PM #5
The code could probably be used as a base for starfighter, but as it is, it's stuck for land vehciles. The particular code is aimed towards ATST. Other vehicles would require various modifications. Nothing major, but you'd need some idea of cogging to get it done. I'll see about ships in a while.

Updates:
Activate vehicle to enter it.
Press crouch to exit it.
When in vehicle, you move based on that vehicle.
Working anims/sounds.

Can't fire JK weapon while in vehicle.
Can once you're back out of vehicle.

Vehicle can take damage, etc.
(Somewhat tested, no MP testing yet, but should work)

Nice third person camera, head moves with changes in pitch now.

A primary and secondary weapon fireable while in the vehicle.
(Laser is primary, raildet secondary; for ATST.)

(Hotkeys are the field light and IR goggles... some annoying sounds and text as side effects, but oh well)

To do:
Problem with seeing weapon in first person while in vehicle.
Loss of external weapon mesh after leaving the vehicle needing to be fixed.
Sync things for MP.

Unsolveable problem:
MP sounds lost after leaving the vehicle. Unfortunately, there's really no way to fix this without doing annoyingly large amounts of coding to completely change the way the vehicles work.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-19, 5:02 PM #6
sorry that i have not posted here for a while, ive been working on some concepts for the projects....

this is very good news, the sound problem isnt really cause for concern at the moment, since all we need is a vehicle cog for both land (such as at-st) and air/space vehicles (if possible)....

btw....... BUMP :em321:
2005-06-20, 8:38 AM #7
Sniperwolf, if it is of any help, Hideki had code on his site for a driveable ATST (in the cog quizzes). :)

Quote:
Cog Quiz - Week 10 (See question 3)
A few ParseArg can do it. Place an ATST in your level with the following cog attached via template.

Code:
   activated:

player = GetSourceRef();
   if(GetThingType(player) != 10) return;   // if other than player activates, don't.
   SetThingModel(player, ATST_Model);   //change the look
   ParseArg(player, "size=0.300000");   //size
   ParseArg(player, "movesize=0.300000");   //another size
   ParseArg(player, "puppet=atst.pup");   //pup-key-move
   ParseArg(player, "maxthrust=0.30");   //move speed
   ParseArg(player, "maxrotthrust=10.00");   //rotation speed
   ParseArg(player, "soundclass=atst.snd");   //walking sound etc
   SetThingFlags(player, 0x4);   //mag sealed, was it?
   SetActorFlags(player, 0x100);   //droid...
   DestroyThing(GetSenderRef());   //get the atst away

return;

if you want to get off from it, you might want to use a new hotkey or something.

Code:
   activated:

player = GetSourceRef();
   SetThingModel(player, player_Model);   //change the look
   ParseArg(player, "size=0.065000");   //size
   ParseArg(player, "movesize=0.065000");   //another size
   ParseArg(player, "puppet=ky.pup");   //pup-key-move
   ParseArg(player, "maxthrust=2.00");   //move speed
   ParseArg(player, "maxrotthrust=180.00");   //rotation speed
   ParseArg(player, "soundclass=ky.snd");   //walking sound etc
   ClearThingFlags(player, 0x4);   //no more mag sealed
   ClearActorFlags(player, 0x100);   //human...

CreateThing(atst_tpl, player);   //leave atst behind
   return;

Maybe that was easy enough.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-06-20, 5:38 PM #8
Mine already does most of that. As for the problems, the sounds are simply unfixable, because of the way JK does MP sounds. (A GetThingSoundClass() or something like that would be wonderful...) ParseArg doesn't sync automatically, so the syncing has to be done through triggers. My goal in writing the cog was to make entirely a level based cog. I've also conceived of other ways to do this, but I don't think they'd work as smoothly. The ships should be fine, but would require some special considerations I believe.

Yeah, I'll try and figure out why exactly the damned hand is disappearing. (I've got an idea on how to fix the first person weapon problem)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-07-06, 6:33 PM #9
eh... forgive me for reviving this, and not to sound impatient but, whats the current status on the cog?
2005-07-08, 4:30 PM #10
Some of those still problems are in there, some of the MP should be fixed, but I haven't tested it yet. I'll try to get a flight version up in a little, when I get a bit of free time.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-07-17, 10:51 PM #11
ok, good to know....

btw <_< >_>
.....and all of a sudden something goes BUMP in the night >_<

↑ Up to the top!