Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Mask flags and messages
Mask flags and messages
2005-06-29, 7:36 PM #1
Okay, so mask flags used on symbols (eg, thing actor mask=0x404) control which messages are sent by the symbol.
Sooooo... does anyone have a list of the messages that each mask flag allows the symbol to send, or does this still need discovering? And if I have the details wrong, please enlighten me. Thanks :)

I started this thread because I'm wondering why mask=0x405 doesn't allow "killed" to be sent by the symbol (I'm talking about a level cog btw) but mask=-1 does... I'm confused by all this.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-06-29, 10:27 PM #2
0x1 1 Free.
0x2 2 Camera.
0x4 4 Actor.
0x8 8 Weapon.
0x10 16 Debris.
0x20 32 Item.
0x40 64 Explosion.
0x80 128 Cog.
0x100 256 Ghost.
0x200 512 Corpse.
0x400 1024 Player.
0x800 2048 Particle.

From Datamaster.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-06-30, 2:13 PM #3
Right right, but unfortunately not what I'm looking for.

I mean, for example, in the rbot-door.cog, the mask is 0x404 on the doors -- the arrived and blocked messages are not sent unless I add the 0x1 mask flag (making it 0x405). This is why the doors won't close in the rbot levels when you "nudge" them with the activate key -- arrived is never called, and the timer is thus never set.

So, I'm looking for this kind of list:
0x1 - arrived, blocked...
0x2 - [messages]
0x4 - [messages]
etc...
2005-07-02, 1:59 PM #4
I did some testing last night with a door (should work with any type of thing tho) and the attached text file is what I've found so far. Messages with a 'yes' in column 2 are the ones I had time to test... ones with a 'no' still need to be tested (w00t for the obvious :rolleyes: ) I say this in case anyone feels like doing some research (or can use any of the info I already found), because Imma be gone for a week and won't be able to do imore until I get back.

The file is organized with messages down the left and the various mask flags across the top. An 'x' means the message of that row will be sent when the symbol has the mask flag of that column.

NOTE: message "timer" has an 'x?' -- I assumed for now that it probably is sent with the same mask flags as pulse (due to similarity of type of message -- interval-oriented -- and the verbs SetThingPulse(), SetThingTimer()). I could very possibly be wrong, which is why I declared "timer" as untested

Well, I think that's it for now -- bb in a week. :)
2005-07-03, 12:33 PM #5
Mask flags do as they say. They determine what things can cause that message to be sent. The 404 for example, means messages where the player or an actor is the source are valid. For instance, if you wanted a sector which played a cutscene only if a player entered, you could set that sector's mask flags to 0x400. The mask flags don't control which messages are sent, but what things can cause those messages to be sent.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come

↑ Up to the top!