Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → 3DO Movement
3DO Movement
2005-07-14, 6:43 PM #1
I have no experience at cogging whatsoever and have a request. Is there a simple Multiplayer cog that would cause a 3DO to follow the movement of a player in x,y,z but not in yaw, pitch, or roll? It would have to be local and cause the object to be centered on the player at all times. Any help would be appreciated.
Taton Qek, The master of masterfully inspired levels that never get released.
2005-07-14, 11:02 PM #2
None existing, but...

Code:
flags=0x240

symbols
template theThing
thing player local

message startup
end

code
startup:
player = GetLocalPlayerThing();
StopThing(player);
AttachThingToThingEx(CreateThingAtPos(theThing, GetThingSector(player), GetThingPos(player), '0 0 0'), player, 0xC);
end

That should do it.

Code tags, please
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-07-15, 8:33 AM #3
Thanks. The cog is working nicely. However, the object's yaw still changes when the player turns. Is there any way to make it not do this?
2005-07-15, 9:07 AM #4
Code:
flags=0x240

symbols
template theThing
thing t local
thing player local

message startup
message pulse
end

code
startup:
player = GetLocalPlayerThing();
StopThing(player);
t = CreateThingAtPos(theThing, GetThingSector(player), GetThingPos(player), '0 0 0');
lvec = GetThingLVec(t);
AttachThingToThingEx(t, player, 0xC);
SetPulse(0.01);
return;
pulse:
SetThingLook(theThing, lvec);
return;
end

Maybe that'll work...
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-07-15, 11:39 AM #5
Hmm, that shouldn't be happening. 0xC doesn't include the 0x2 flag, which sets a thing to follow the same lookvector. Try changing the flags to 0x4. I didn't bother with code tags because it didn't make it any more readable.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-07-15, 6:55 PM #6
I tired both, but the object keeps turning...

O_o
2005-07-15, 11:50 PM #7
Are you sure it's turning? Is it always facing the same way as the player?
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-07-16, 12:17 AM #8
It always faces the same direction as the player.
2005-07-16, 1:30 AM #9
When I started using things as pov models, I tried attach flags and they work some of the time, but in some cases they don't always work the way they're expected. Like when you turn when not moving, the model seems to wobble in another direction. I have no idea why it does that and why they didn't make it simple.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman

↑ Up to the top!