Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Does anyone have a big job for me?
Does anyone have a big job for me?
2005-08-27, 6:49 AM #1
I'd like to work on a big COG system for something, but frankly do not want to deal with all the level editing / modeling / texturing that is involved in doing a solo project.. So, I'm offering COG and 'consulting' services (I'll explain in a moment).

Please, DO NOT request simple cogs. My classification for 'simple' cogs encompasses all requests for "a cog that plays a sound and fires a projectile from a ghost" or "a cog that kills the player and plays a sound when he enters a sector." These cogs already exist or you should hopefully be able to patch them together yourself using other preexisting cogs.

I'm looking for challenges - so challenge me. Tell me you want a money system for your RPG level (SP or MP) or a friendly AI squad that can take orders for your SP level. Maybe you want a huge gun like the Hoth battle in the empire strikes back which you can aim and even play a keyframe of the player getting in.

If you don't have any specific ideas for COGs, or maybe you have an idea for something cool but have no idea how to do it, I'm open for 'consulting' as well. You can take your great idea for a 2-person vehicle or actual working pinball machine that can be played and bring me in on the project and I can show you how to get it done and working right, or I'll tell you it can't be done and explain why.

I know the JK engine in and out, I can modify any resource files, and even write tools and JED plugins from scratch for real specific jobs. No, I'm not asking for money. Just something to do!
[ B A H ]
Bad *** by nature,
Hackers by choice
2005-08-27, 7:50 AM #2
Hmm, I guess you have completed all of our previous suggestions? :p
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-08-27, 8:29 AM #3
I call dibs on this guy...

Come find me in #JKHub or #JKR in the irc.massassi.net server under the name d-_-b. I'm known for my big project ideas, and if you've got the skills, I'd love to use you.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-27, 11:41 AM #4
You could take Ultimate Domination and use it as a base for Ultimate CTF. The main idea is to be able to play CTF in any JK level, by letting the host place the ctf platforms. And to make it work with most mods, put everything in a cog like item_greenkey...
I'll eventually complete the Ultimate Domination stuff, don't worry, Kirbs. It just took me some time to find appropriate symbols, and will take some more to get into the cog logic again. But I'll do it.
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-08-27, 11:54 AM #5
Oh hell, he can work on that first. I <3 what you're doing with that project. It's, in my opinion, more important than SITH2. That is, it's got more potential to be FUN.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-27, 2:32 PM #6
He already pledged to help me with my grav gun mod
STRIKE I HATE YOU :gbk:
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-08-27, 3:10 PM #7
i still <3 u more mag
[ B A H ]
Bad *** by nature,
Hackers by choice
2005-08-27, 6:19 PM #8
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
I call dibs on this guy...

Hands off him you tramp!!! :mad: HE'S MINE!!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-08-27, 10:39 PM #9
Don't bother with making the ultimate rain or breaking glass COGs, I've already got those done.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-08-28, 8:25 AM #10
I got a BIG JOB for you: slap your name on your cool cogs and stuff youve been bragging about and release them. Whats the point of keeping everything to yourself and then bragging about it?
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2005-08-28, 8:30 AM #11
How about a good friendly AI: He will follow you when you activate him, stop when you activate him again, when he recieves a certain amount of damage he will go "rogue" and attack you, and can use health, shield, and weapon powerups.

Good enough?
2005-08-28, 8:54 AM #12
or when a player enters up to 3 different sectors, your view goes to a camera(ghost) and locks onto the player, kinda a resident evil thing.
2005-08-28, 11:16 AM #13
That can be done by setting a ghost camera, then setting player's camera to the ghost upon entering the sector. You could even make it 'chase' the player a bit by using AttachThingToThing(ghostcam, player);
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2005-08-29, 9:11 PM #14
You really want a challenge, talk to me. I'll give you hell in the form of cogs. :)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-08-29, 9:26 PM #15
Make a cutscene authoring program/JED plugin, that let's you edit a cutscene as a series of events on a timeline (events such as camera angle changes, voice lines, animations, movement, etc.) and then integrate the cutscene into a JED level by automatically creating frames/ghost things/etc. and generating all the necessary cogs. It's an idea I've always been toying with but will most likely never implement.

BTW, I am working on an XML-powered adventure-game/RPG style conversation system for my adventure game framework project, and I plan to someday create an export to cog feature that will generate ready-to-use scripts. Just for fun.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-08-30, 9:23 PM #16
"Make a cutscene authoring program/JED plugin, that let's you edit a cutscene as a series of events on a timeline (events such as camera angle changes, voice lines, animations, movement, etc.) and then integrate the cutscene into a JED level by automatically creating frames/ghost things/etc. and generating all the necessary cogs. It's an idea I've always been toying with but will most likely never implement."

Way ahead of you
http://binarydemons.com/~strike/cutmaster2.jpg

Do you guys really want me to finish the plugin?
[ B A H ]
Bad *** by nature,
Hackers by choice
2005-08-31, 7:32 AM #17
Holy crap! Is that thing for real? What can it actually do?
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-08-31, 4:40 PM #18
Originally posted by StrikeAthius:
Do you guys really want me to finish the plugin?

YES!
2005-08-31, 5:11 PM #19
Sir, yes sir!
2005-08-31, 11:13 PM #20
Hot damn, that would be all the motivation I need to pursue a few SP level ideas I've got. I just can't COG for cutscenes, I'm always screwing 'em up. But with that, I'd bother to finish something. And it wouldn't suck, I swear. Finish that thing, release that thing. Please?
*This post has been edited for content.

↑ Up to the top!