Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → The AI Verbs
The AI Verbs
2005-09-08, 5:41 PM #1
In the thread about centering a players pitch, it was reported that adding an empty AI file to a player's template allows the AISetLookPos() verb to affect the player. What I want to know/see if we can figure out is if there's a way to use COG to allow the AI verbs to affect the player without needing levels with a modified player template.

I haven't started any testing on this. My ideas are to ParseArg() an aiclass onto the player or use AISetClass() (which I suspect won't work on a standard player because the template lacks an AI file to begin with).

If anyone has any experience with this junk please post what you know and any conclusions you made.

QM
2005-09-08, 6:16 PM #2
Well, if it's for a mod, what's wrong with changing the walkplayer template so it already has an empty AI file defined in it?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-09-09, 2:30 PM #3
The level template itself would have to be modified. Well, I can try a quick test...
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-09-09, 5:40 PM #4
From my tests, with several methods and several AI's (blank and otherwise), I couldn't get any of them to have an effect, one way or another (that includes allowing AISetLookPos() to work...), as far as cogbased methods go, at least.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-09-09, 11:08 PM #5
What exactly did you do for your test? Did you use parsearg, a mod (static.jkl), or just a new level with a changed template?
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2005-09-09, 11:12 PM #6
Can't the static.jkl templates override the level templates if they have the same name? I think I did this once on accident but I'm not sure.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman

↑ Up to the top!