Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Sectors not required!
Sectors not required!
2005-10-26, 8:45 AM #1
[Please, any coggers reading this thread, please refer to the RVTCS thread. That issue badly needs to be resolved.]

I think I've come up with an idea to completely eliminate the need to use any more then one sector ever again.

There's only one question to be resolved...

Is it possible to have cog that the user enters 4 x,y,z coordinates (to form a 3 dimensional trigger zone) in which the user can then enter new values for things such as Tint, gravity, effect (such as denoting a water zone), as well as any cogs to be executed if a player enters it.

Obviously, this cog needs to be local as to work in MP.

If this cog can be created, it will completely eliminate the use of "flicker" cogs and will give editors far more flexibility.
"The solution is simple."
2005-10-26, 11:10 AM #2
I don't quite see how you would model complex indoor architecture with only 1 sector...
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-10-26, 1:00 PM #3
Originally posted by zagibu:
I don't quite see how you would model complex indoor architecture with only 1 sector...

Hush, that's not the point. ;)

Seriously though, you can make EVERYTHING with 3do's and you won't have to worry about them flickering while still allowing you to have the effects of a water area and so forth...
2005-10-26, 7:56 PM #4
I can recall Friend14 doing this in more than a few projects. The theory is sound, but in practice JK's thing-related-flakiness causes too many graphical glitches to ignore.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-10-27, 5:54 AM #5
Originally posted by gbk:
I can recall Friend14 doing this in more than a few projects. The theory is sound, but in practice JK's thing-related-flakiness causes too many graphical glitches to ignore.

Huh? I AM Friend14. :) The problem with those levels is that there were still mulitiple sectors (ussually 2. 1 for normal ground and 1 for underwater stuff). This often resulted in needing a "flicker" cog. However, even now, I still have problems with the flicker cog (especially if dealing with multiple sectors). A cog like I described above would solve those problems.

Surely someone could take a shot at it...
2005-10-27, 4:44 PM #6
Originally posted by CaptBevvil:
Huh? I AM Friend14. :)

WTF? When did you chage your name? :confused: :p
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-10-27, 9:34 PM #7
You could, you know, design your level properly. If you really feel the need to use nothing but 3DOs, slice them up to fit your sectors.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-27, 11:45 PM #8
I still want to see an outdoor terrain level with buildings you can enter. You once told me (as Friend14) that you have tons of them lying around, but I haven't ever seen one.
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2005-10-28, 6:41 AM #9
The most pominant one, Mos Espa (the first version intended for the TPMTCJK), got lost in a HD crash. :( Another that I lost that was even better was entitled "Hoth DOOM", where I was taking a Doom 3 like approach but putting it into a relevant Star Wars local. From the initial hallway, I had detailed "carved out" walls, pipes, steps, consols, ect. However, if you go to the "Aquisition" project on JKHub, in the download section, I have the level I've been working on for that. The interior of the island (or what I have so far) is rather detailed and complex.

In the Mos Espa (TPMTCJK) level buildings, there wasn't much detail to the interiors due to performance optimization (and obvious) reasons. The alternative, was to have a "Morrowind" type entrace. Where you 'activate' the door and then were teleported inside the building. The building would be made like traditonal levels and would be generic for that building type. Then a cog would load the specific interior items depending on what door you 'activated' to teleport to it.

A cog, as described in the first post, would eliminate the need for this as you could specifiy that area to not even render 3do's unless the door was 'activated' and then setting all the 3do's outside of that sector to +Geo 0 while the door is in the 'closed' position (frame).

Please, this thread was intended to inspire a cogger to write a cog that would greatly benifit the JK editing community.
2005-10-31, 8:57 PM #10
The problem with this idea is that the user may want the water room to be a square, or octagon. By limiting the xyz coordinates through use of a cog, the level designer would be constricted to either use more cogs, or limit their "sector" shapes. It would also involve, basically, creating an engine inside an engine to do all of the calculations.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"

↑ Up to the top!