Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Another cog for Senarius
Another cog for Senarius
2005-11-10, 3:31 PM #1
In some games nowdays, there is a timer after you are killed before you can respawn. I want to somewhat imitate this effect in my level for the Hub's level contest by making the player be trapped at the spawnpoint by a forcefield for 10 seconds after they respawn.

This being the case I need a cog that is synched for multiplayer that will activate a 2 surface forcefield when a player is in the spawnpoint sector. The forcefield will stay active for ten seconds and then deactivate. After the forcefield deactivates there needs to be another ten second timer before it starts checking if there is a player in the spawnpoint sector again so the player that was trapped at the spawnpoint will be able to get out before the forcefield activates again.

It would be much appreciated if someone could wip me up a cog to accomplish this. I'm sorta stumped untill I get the two forcefield I need cogs working since they will control a large portion of the gameplay in my level.
If curiosity killed the cat then perhaps Curious George killed the cat.
But Cat's do have nine lives so who knows?
2005-11-11, 2:46 AM #2
Wouldn't that lead to massive spawn-point camping?
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-11-11, 12:29 PM #3
How about clearing the thing flag 0x200 upon death, running a timer for how long you want, then set the 0x200 back?
-Hell Raiser
2005-11-11, 3:56 PM #4
That would lead to spawn point camping but that isn't the entire issue. This cog will work in conjunction with another cog. A forcefield that guards the only health in the level will be deactivated when the person is trapped at the spawnpoint. This will give anyone who isn't stuck at a spawnpoint ten seconds to storm to the center of the level and steal the only health in the entire level. In addition I was considering to have the spawnpoint sectors heal so you would be able to go in there and heal up all the way or you would be able to come out with full health. I think these other things will help with the spawnpoint camping. The level is also quit confusing because it is symetrical and is hard to tell what part of the level you are at and that might also prevent spawnpoint camping.
If curiosity killed the cat then perhaps Curious George killed the cat.
But Cat's do have nine lives so who knows?

↑ Up to the top!