Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → MP AI that's a little TOO human...
MP AI that's a little TOO human...
2006-05-30, 11:56 AM #1
As some of you may know, I've been busy for the past day or so on my MotS MP gametype "Breed," a horror survival/adventure modification wherein players must battle off zombies lest they succumb to their curse. More specifically, I am tailoring the current flavor of this gametype to suit an upcoming LAN party. As such, I don't think it would be fair if I were also a participant in my semi-scripted gameworld, and have been busy trying to implement a DM system.

As DM, I would fly around as a collide=0 ghost and observe. I would have several items at my disposal to spawn or kill AI synchronized zombies. I would also like to have an item that let me ParseArg myself to become a zombie model also for an added challenge, visually indistinguishable from the AI zombies.

The implementation of this idea, however, involves two challenges that I forsee but am unsure how to solve:

1) Is there some sort of inventory situation in MP where items (such as keys, etc) are actually stored/accessed on the host machine? While this wouldn't be a problem for the DM item kit, I want each player to have a few items of his or her own.

2) How stable is the use of ParseArg in an MP setting? Does anyone know? I would like to try to save time without having to do extensive playtesting as well as my being somewhat unable to connect with other players recently. :S

Thanks in advance.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-30, 1:36 PM #2
1) Each player stores his own "view" of the inventory. The host can store completely different values for player X than what player X has stored for himself.

2) ParseArg works as expected; it changes a thing's template settings, but only locally.

"Locally" or "unsynched" just means that the player that called the verb is the only one which will have the new values.

:)
2006-05-31, 6:35 AM #3
However, could I make a client/server cog with triggers that would make this change locally on all machines...?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-31, 12:23 PM #4
Yep, ParseArg has been used on a couple of different mods (SBX and FR [aka SS3] have used them I believe) and as far as I know, worked just fine. I tried doing a C/S cog for ParseArg in JK Pistol Mod, yet its not quite working for more than one person, however, its rooted into another cog and my problems are most likely my own. ;)
Major projects working on:
SATNRT, JK Pistol Mod, Aliens TC, Firearms

Completed
Judgement Day (HLP), My level pack

↑ Up to the top!