Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → Flicker cogs and rvts vector cogs.... HELP i'm rubbish at cog.
Flicker cogs and rvts vector cogs.... HELP i'm rubbish at cog.
2006-07-03, 7:55 AM #1
ok, GBK told me a long time ago i could use his rvts cog for a seperate LOD system, since many of my models cant be used with Zeq's LOD program, since it messes up the textures and models, and i want seperate distances for LODing with different things in the level environment.

But no such luck, it only creates and destroys things from a distance, and god its too complicate to use quickly.

Is there an extra version floating around for changing models of things at certain distances? Or can someone show me how to change the cog myself?

And the flicker cog is even more complex, i have no hope in hell of modifying it. :mad:

I tried it out, and it works, ie, it stops my 3do from flickering, but it creates the 3do at a pre set vector, 0/0/0. But i need the thing 3do to be at 0/180/0. But theres no extra controls for changing the vector.

This makes Ruthven an angry boy. :mad: :mad:

So help JKSG1 terrain level environments by bestowing your great cogging know-how unto thy Ruthven.

(yeh i'm crap at cogs, but i've spent 6 years learning more interesting things, like modelling and texturing :p)

THANKS! :D
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-07-03, 8:05 AM #2
Code:
Pulse:
   For(i=0; i<GetThingCount(); i=i+1)
   {
      If((GetThingModel(i) == LODnear) ||
        (GetThingModel(i) == LODnotsonear) ||
        (GetThingModel(i) == LODfartheraway) ||
        (GetThingModel(i) == LODfar))
      {
         If(VectorDist(GetThingPos(player), GetThingPos(i)) < .4)
         {
            SetThingModel(i, LODnear);
         }
         Else If(VectorDist(GetThingPos(player), GetThingPos(i)) < .6)
         {
            SetThingModel(i, LODnotsonear);
         }
         Else If(VectorDist(GetThingPos(player), GetThingPos(i)) < .8)
         {
            SetThingModel(i, LODfartheraway);
         }
         Else
         {
            SetThingModel(i, LODfar);
         }
      }
   }
   Return;

Simple LOD code to be used in a general level cog.
Major projects working on:
SATNRT, JK Pistol Mod, Aliens TC, Firearms

Completed
Judgement Day (HLP), My level pack
2006-07-03, 8:25 AM #3
FLICKA KOG!
Attachment: 12889/flicker.txt (2,534 bytes)
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-07-03, 8:31 AM #4
Flicker cog, uncomment the SetThingLook();
It originally didn't work because CreateThingAtPos() uses a PYR input in degrees where GetThingLVec() gets a vector, and SetThingLook() uses vectors too. ;)
Major projects working on:
SATNRT, JK Pistol Mod, Aliens TC, Firearms

Completed
Judgement Day (HLP), My level pack
2006-07-03, 3:19 PM #5
ok, we still have an issue.

It seems the collide surface areas remain at the vector 0/0/0 when using the flicker cog.

But the model now points to 0/180/0.

So either someone comes up with a solution for this..... or i set the thing to collide=0 and use sectors to simulate the walls. very anooying though!
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-07-03, 3:54 PM #6
Wow. Shred? Sector finding code by Sige?!?? That thing got around. :v:

Why the collision would retain it's original look vector is beyond me. That's just crazy-ness. :psyduck: What's odd to me is the last parameter of CreateThingAtPos(), it's a look vector, not a PYR vector. Try changing ObjLook0 to '0 0 0' and see if that helps, somehow. Don't ask me why I had put that there....

A quick fix would be to rotate the land 3do 180 degrees how you want it in game, but that doesn't fix the underlying problem. :gbk:
-Hell Raiser

↑ Up to the top!