Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsCog Forum → I need a cog that will play and loop an mp3
I need a cog that will play and loop an mp3
2008-07-04, 10:52 AM #1
From the moment you load up the level and after loading from a save or quicksave. It will be the levels soundtrack that will constantly play and loop at the end of the track. Just like the soundtrack that loops from the cd during the official jedi knight and mots levels.

I understand that I may also need some sort of file added to my levels to allow mp3s to be played.
2008-07-04, 11:30 AM #2
JK only supports PCM WAV files. There was talk of rigging up an external mp3 player, but I dont know what became of it. You might want to try searching the main JK editing forum.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-07-06, 8:43 PM #3
Really? I thought for sure that I remember reading something about a patch someone made that will make some changes so that mp3 is supported.
2008-07-07, 12:46 AM #4
I know what you're talking about, but I never heard whether it was actually finished. It involved external programs/files if I recall, not something that many people wanted to go through the trouble of installing to their JK just for mp3s
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2008-07-07, 4:35 PM #5
oh you nooooobs

ok mp3 isnt supported, but if u want music, or a long wave file, theres a simple way to compress a wave file such that you can fit more in.

Listen up.

take your mp3, lets say, a minute long.
In your wave editor, speed up the wave file by 400%
Now its a super fast playing wave that lasts only 15 seconds.
resave it as 22050 (or maybe even 11025) Hz format, Mono, (and does 8 bit work?)
As low quality as u can get away with basically.

Then when u get the cog to play the wave file, do this:

channel = PlaySoundThing*(longwaveislong, player*, 1.0, -1, -1, 0);
* Global, Local, or thing, i dont care.
ChangeSoundPitch(channel, 0.25, 0);

That will play the song at 400% slower, reverting it back to the old speed.
The quality may be quite crap, but come oonnnnn, its the only way possible!!

*takes a bow* :XD:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-07-11, 1:17 PM #6
This thread made me sad.

One of the greatest innovations for JK and MotS this decade, so silently released and so hastily forgotten.

I give to you XTension.

No, you can't replace simple wavs like door sounds etc. with mp3s, but at least you get to use mp3s/oggs/whatever as basic level music. I will utilize this in Anonymous so I haven't researched effective song switching in-levels yet.

Also, someone please find a proper place to host that.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-07-12, 9:22 AM #7
Yes! That is what I think I remember finding in the past. Thanks.

↑ Up to the top!