Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Module Music Player XTension
Module Music Player XTension
2005-06-08, 12:04 AM #1
*UPDATE* V 1.01_1 is released!

> JK/MOTS mod that plays mp3/ogg/module in your level! :)

Most of you know, yesterday i released v1.0 with ogg and mp3 suppord. Now in new version, external directorys (the -path) can be set as parameter for the game, the XTension support it too now. And dont forget, Multiplayer mode supported too external or internal directorys (like dbz mods etc) :)

Supported file formats: (mp3,mo4,ogg, s3m, xm, it, mod, mo3)

Note: Dont forget to read the txt files, (readme, installing).

06/27/2005 Little Update, Tutorial is now in zip file includet.
The Loop version now the main release because it sounds
better on short music tracks.

Here version 1.01_1

XTension v. 1.01_1

Tutorial (same as in package):

Tutorial.chm

Only files in EPISODE dir can supported by XTenstion, but changin this ;) Other directorys works now.

Thanks goes to Fastgamerr for betatesting and sending me a nice music example so i could make his wish with looping w/o pause real ;) (so the fixed loop patch released) and for adding this to the Massassi headlines :)

Greets Daywalker aka frequent
2005-06-08, 8:19 AM #2
Wow very cool I'm gonna try this as soon as I get a chance.

ReT
2005-06-08, 8:42 AM #3
cool, once mp3 and multi-per-level support is added, this will be the greatest too evar!
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2005-06-08, 11:51 AM #4
I LOVE YOU!!!:D I was asking if something like this existed awhile ago! Now I can FINALLY HAVE MY MOOSACK!:D :D :D :D
I've got a website. It's at Geocities because I'm too cheap to get my own site.
2005-06-08, 12:45 PM #5
Thx for your replies, im working on a multiplayer modus too now, and overall the mp3 and ogg suppord is in work now! MP suppord must be work, but im not sure right now, im trying this out now in debug mode and i will release a mp map for you becse. i played multiplayer since 1999 last :)

Ok Thx for all your replys.
2005-06-08, 2:58 PM #6
I'd suggest uploading this to The Hub.

Can you also tell us... what in the world it is?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-06-08, 3:32 PM #7
Well, it's a wrapper for JK's CD player code, to make it play a music file instead. It's pretty stinking neat.

Would you consider releasing the source code Daywalker (/frequent)? I'd understand if not, it'd just be neat to look at all the things you did.

Also, after you finalize it, the community here might want to consider releasing an official community patch that bundles the thing/adjoin limit remover with this music addon all in a dummy-proof installer package.

QM
2005-06-09, 4:49 AM #8
Now it just works all, external path and Episode path w/o errorz.
Now im making an New Download file. ...

Old Message by Me ---

This time im hard working on, so in future you can load extern pathes with maps. But there are many bugs currently i dont understand where the point is. The devolopment goes slowy forwarding,
because i must debug byte for byte. :(

I will back with Information, when the Project is done :) So you cann include this in your package. Now im going Bowling ...
----
Greets frequent :em321:
2005-06-10, 7:26 PM #9
Wait, I still don't get the point of this. Is it to play music in a level? You can play WMA's into levels. Explain?
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-06-10, 11:51 PM #10
Yes you can play mp3, ogg and modules in you level, how todo it iis descripted inthe zip file (tutorial), i thought on all :)
2005-06-11, 4:51 AM #11
I love this idea! Now, if only the RAR file wasn't corrupt! 2 MB of emptyness! Why is this? Can anyone help me? Host another file of some sort?

/Edward
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2005-06-11, 5:35 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
I love this idea! Now, if only the RAR file wasn't corrupt! 2 MB of emptyness! Why is this? Can anyone help me? Host another file of some sort?

/Edward

I made a zip file, yust click on the link above to download it.
2005-06-11, 6:03 AM #13
OK, thanks! This will be very useful in some cases. Tell me, does this thing also support the "Jump to Position" function for those Looping Modules?

/Edward
ps. Wait a minute... I'm not hearing any music from the level! Am I missing something?
2005-06-11, 6:23 AM #14
Quote:
OK, thanks! This will be very useful in some cases. Tell me, does this thing also support the "Jump to Position" function for those Looping Modules?

/Edward
ps. Wait a minute... I'm not hearing any music from the level! Am I missing something?

Hmm i must find a way to make direct Position changing from a cog that writes a variable in a memory address or so.

For the missing music. Put my level (Space Station) into you Episode dir. And the winma.dll into your jk dir, and the XTension.bat also too. Now run the XTension.bat then run jk.exe, now i has to work. 2nd You have an soundriver that allows only one programm for its sound output, but there isnt a solution becaus it dont know where the sound buffer from jk is placed.

All theses steps a descripted in the readme / installtion. Please report me :)
2005-06-11, 6:31 AM #15
This truly is great.

Seemed to work as it should, however, here's some of my suggestions:

-Make it use to music volume tab. At least when I tested (with my own level and own ogg), the music was too quiet and the Music volume tab didn't help a thing)
-Uh, I tried to see how it loops (with my own mp3), and it only played it once.

And there wasn't much of a tutorial in the zip, so I may have done things wrong :X

But overall, great job!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-06-11, 8:10 AM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
This truly is great.

Seemed to work as it should, however, here's some of my suggestions:

-Make it use to music volume tab. At least when I tested (with my own level and own ogg), the music was too quiet and the Music volume tab didn't help a thing)
-Uh, I tried to see how it loops (with my own mp3), and it only played it once.

And there wasn't much of a tutorial in the zip, so I may have done things wrong :X

But overall, great job!

Hi, the tutorial does only describes how to add your music in to a container, and how it names like "mus01.snd". Use the XTension_music.cog for your playback, where track = XX from "musXX.snd". It should loop automaticly.

I am seeking a trick to use the volume tab, but i found it currenty not. Hmm...

Please report whether it work :rolleyes:
2005-06-11, 8:39 AM #17
Yeah, I named it mus01.snd, but it didn't loop.

And the I put the INT value of track to 1 in the Cog Editor like it was in your uncompiled MotS sample level. (Well duh, it doesn't play if it's 0)

Hm.

Actually, now that I tested some other ogg than mine, it looped... but there was a slight gap in the end before it started looping again.

The file I used was (I tried it as a ogg too):

Quote:
bitrate = 160
codec = MP3
channels = 2
samplerate = 44100
mp3_stereo_mode = joint stereo
----------
1414127 samples @ 44100Hz
File size: 641 045 bytes

The file what worked:

Quote:
bitrate = 79
channels = 2
samplerate = 44100
bitrate_nominal = 96
codec = Vorbis
vorbis_vendor = Xiphophorus libVorbis I 20010813
vorbis_version = 1.0 RC2
----------
2285568 samples @ 44100Hz
File size: 517 706 bytes

If this info helps you...
2005-06-11, 9:23 AM #18
Ok, i testet it with some files and the cog ive written and the tracks all loop. that wired that not loop on your level :confused:
The track 0 is a datatrack and the Jk/Mots engine wouldt send any command to my dll, start at 1 :). Can you send me the mp3/ogg that not looped??? Please, only so i can test my code.

My mail = Deniswie[at]gmx.net

Thank You FastGamerr
2005-06-11, 9:50 AM #19
I have sent the file now.
2005-06-11, 11:29 AM #20
Quote:
I have sent the file now.

Thank you, this is a nice track for an dark MP Duel :D

Ok ive added now looping tracks, jk does 60s pause before resume if music < 2 min. Now it has 3s pause, i dont know why, you could try to change the format, but thats wired me now, 3s pause. Hmm i will try somethings other to add... :em321:
But is this ~~ok??? Can a player listen to this 3s of pause :o

Thank you, here is the link to my looped player dll. just replace the dll for jk / mots in your spec. game folder. Ive includet for jk and mots twice, thats better.

XTension_101_loop.zip

Greets Denis, thx for your Beta testing.

Thanks for everyone whos giving me a new tip or a bug info
2005-06-11, 12:04 PM #21
This is excellent. Your work for JK is remarkable, keep on working.

Oh, and apparently the 3 sec gap was already in the file I sent you, so actually the files loop perfectly in JK if they do otherwise.
2005-06-11, 12:42 PM #22
And now that I'm reminded of it... This is just an idea, not a suggestion or anything.

Some JK/MotS levels had multiple tracks playing, so could something like that be done? Like setting specific tracks which it would play in a specific order? Up to 3 or 4 tracks... and you could still set to use just one and loop it all the time if you want...

Though I haven't really seen any other games which play different tracks on one level... or can't remember any, just wanting to know if it could be done.
2005-06-11, 1:01 PM #23
Quote:
And now that I'm reminded of it... This is just an idea, not a suggestion or anything.

Some JK/MotS levels had multiple tracks playing, so could something like that be done? Like setting specific tracks which it would play in a specific order? Up to 3 or 4 tracks... and you could still set to use just one and loop it all the time if you want...

Though I haven't really seen any other games which play different tracks on one level... or can't remember any, just wanting to know if it could be done.

Hi, i tried the multiple tracks playing, but jk sends the start track, ok, but jk doesnt send the endtrack? Thats very wired. And if you loop like 1 - 5, and looto = 5, jk send only track 5 to the mciSendCommand Parameters. Can you explain me how jk cd-playing works, or the funktion in the cog? ok starttrack = beginning. endtrack = playing to track like from 1...3. ok what the hell is loopto = Int :)

I dont understand why jk sends me only the loopto value into the mciSendCommand parameters.

:D
Thanks for you suggestion.
Thanks for
2005-06-11, 1:07 PM #24
Unfortunately I know nothing of cogs nowadays, so can't help you on that one.
2005-06-11, 1:12 PM #25
Quote:
Unfortunately I know nothing of cogs nowadays, so can't help you on that one.

Its ok, i cant it too :) But there must be a way to do this, im looking right now for some hints. :)
2005-06-11, 2:14 PM #26
I have a theory about the endtrack. JK only reads it, then waits until the "CD player" reaches this track, then it tells it to stop and return to loopto. That is my guess...

Anyway, just had a thought on the "Jump to Position" functions in the modules. What if (when you've fixed this thing with the loop) one could like make a "fake split" in the song so when you read the module, read the B, then make a "track split" at the position given. Of course, with the method you are using for reading the songs, the next song will have to be 03 instead of 02, because the "fake split" will create the 02.

This is all suggestions and guess work. I don't know enough programming to do any of this. Right now I'm fighting with a STE emulator and how to Load a plain old Module in GFA.

/Edward
2005-06-11, 3:16 PM #27
Quote:
I have a theory about the endtrack. JK only reads it, then waits until the "CD player" reaches this track, then it tells it to stop and return to loopto. That is my guess...

Anyway, just had a thought on the "Jump to Position" functions in the modules. What if (when you've fixed this thing with the loop) one could like make a "fake split" in the song so when you read the module, read the B, then make a "track split" at the position given. Of course, with the method you are using for reading the songs, the next song will have to be 03 instead of 02, because the "fake split" will create the 02.

This is all suggestions and guess work. I don't know enough programming to do any of this. Right now I'm fighting with a STE emulator and how to Load a plain old Module in GFA.

/Edward

Hi, the song looping is fixed, i am using the bass loop funktion, so it plays endless and never stops instad of the jk/mots engine. Can you explain more about your theory with split songs? Do you mean a module splittet into peaces of files?? :)

Thanks frequent
2005-06-11, 11:42 PM #28
Oh, and do you have any idea can mp3 be blend into the game as sound effects, so we wouldn't be restricted to use wav's? :)
2005-06-12, 1:46 AM #29
Quote:
Oh, and do you have any idea can mp3 be blend into the game as sound effects, so we wouldn't be restricted to use wav's? :)

Hmm Jk used DirectX Sound buffer directly, so i cant wrap, because directx functions are classes instat of functions calls.
And Jk writes the waves direct to the buffer. Im stutdy Jk everyday, because i have no source code of the game.
2005-06-13, 1:22 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Daywalker
Yes you can play mp3, ogg and modules in you level, how todo it iis descripted inthe zip file (tutorial), i thought on all :)

What turorial. All I see is an installation, and a About.

No tutorial.

I wish some one would tell me how to impliment mp3 music into my levels.

And make it work. That would be really cool, cause right now I'm ****ing clueless.

Also I would like to know what the hell the xtension cog thing does, and what it is.
2005-06-13, 5:13 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by DjDTM

No tutorial.

And make it work. That would be really cool, cause right now I'm ****ing clueless.

Also I would like to know what the hell the xtension cog thing does, and what it is.

The tutorial is the example level in the zip.

Inside xtension_music.cog it tells you what to name your music file for it to work in game.

The "xtension cog thing" is a level COG you use to play an included music file. It's like 4 lines of code to pass the playsong() verb so the music will start.

QM
2005-06-14, 2:15 AM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by DjDTM

No tutorial.

Oooubs, i forgot my Tutorial.chm file inside the zip package.
Everytime i zip/rar an archive, the is anything lost by me.

So here is the external link for it:
Tutorial.chm

My mistake, thanx frequent
2005-06-24, 12:44 PM #33
Hi im back after some days little internet problems...
Ok somebody have problems with the player?? please let me
know.
Sorry for my bad english im speeking only German right now,
but sometimes i will do a course. I hope there is a general interesst on my Project, its also on the jkhubs. That was 5 days hard work
of coding. Next week i will release a new Update hope that i fix the volume problem of JK. I didn't find the calling volume function from where i startet to resolve jet. Sorry sorry ... im working ...
:rolleyes:

Greets frequent :em321:
2005-06-27, 2:12 PM #34
So ive updatet now my Player to the Looped version that direct loops the sound track without any pause between it.
But it seems my project is down, many disinterest because many doesnt understand the funktion of XTension (so i think/see) please correct me when im wrong. Ive uploadet an Tutorial, because ive forgott it in main Xtenstion zip package file but it seems no one touched it. Hmm when anyone is interestet in with my Project he/she can write an P/M to me an let me know that anyone likes my work.

Thanks and Greets frequent
2005-06-27, 3:09 PM #35
Many are interested in your JK music player, but your English is not well-formed. :( Maybe someone can create a better English translation of the tutorial, so all can use it effectively.

Some of us are interested in merging your player with the JKLauncher project. If you would like to contribute to the JKLauncher project, please email me or post in the project's forum.

Thanks,
:)
2005-06-27, 11:48 PM #36
Hi that would be nice. Im making an German tutorial so anyone can translate ist right to english. The JK Launcher project is very nice yes :)

Greets frequent
2005-06-28, 5:33 PM #37
Whoa... just here to pay my respects. I can't help at all, but I know enough about JK editing to tell that this is truly creative. Keep going dude. JK lives! :D
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I

↑ Up to the top!