Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → What The Heck Is A Gob Format And How Do I Make It Work?!!!
What The Heck Is A Gob Format And How Do I Make It Work?!!!
2005-06-13, 3:11 PM #1
As all you dudes can see, I need some more help. Do I need I a special program to convert my level to a GOB format or what do I need to do?
Yo, check it out:

This is my site, 'The Star Wars Cantina'.http://thestarwarscant.ezforum.org/

Peace out!
2005-06-13, 3:17 PM #2
Upon making sure that your level works correctly, go to the "File" tab at the top of your JED window, select it, and then move your cursor down until you find the button that says "Save JKL and GOB" - click that, and you level will be compiled into a GOB and placed in the "Episdode" directory of your JK/MotS folder. Alternatively, you could click the hotkey F2.
Attachment: 5455/gob.jpg (28,613 bytes)
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-06-13, 4:11 PM #3
I CAN'T GET THAT STINKING PROGRAM TO WORK!!!:( If you could give my some pointers on how to make the ZIP file work, just reply to this message, Daft_Vader...by the way, I'll save this post anyways, just in case I need it!!! THANKYOU!!!
Yo, check it out:

Peace out!
2005-06-13, 5:07 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Da Game Master
I CAN'T GET THAT STINKING PROGRAM TO WORK!!!:( If you could give my some pointers on how to make the ZIP file work, just reply to this message, Daft_Vader...by the way, I'll save this post anyways, just in case I need it!!! THANKYOU!!!

I'm sorry, I can't quite understand you. Which program can you not get to work? JED? WinZip? ConMan? Have you already gobbed your project, because there's no point in zipping until you have a GOB of your level. Please clarify, and I'll try to help! :)
2005-06-14, 2:46 PM #5
I can't get the jed_beta951.zip to work! I don't understand the readme. Is there a full version I can download? Actually, how did you make the program work and what version do you have? Tell as soon as possible, Daft_Vader. Sorry I wasn't clear on the previous message I typed, dude.:p
Yo, check it out:

Peace out!
2005-06-14, 2:50 PM #6
How are you unable to get it to work?
2005-06-14, 3:52 PM #7
Quote:
I can't get the jed_beta951.zip to work!

As ReT said, what can't you get to work? We can't help you until you specify the problem. No rush, just carefully type out what's giving you trouble.

After re-reading your post, I will temporarily assume that you can't open the JED zip file. If this is the case, what zip archive program are you using? WinZip? WinRAR? Another type? If your problem is just formatting your JED directory properly, simply read/download this tutorial from Massassi - go to http://massassi.net/tutorials.php and scroll down to the very bottom of the page, and then download JED Tutor. It should run through everything you need to set up JED on your computer.

Quote:
Is there a full version I can download? Actually, how did you make the program work and what version do you have?

I'm afraid JED Beta 0.951 is the latest version released. Alexei never quite made it to a finished product. :/ It is the version I have, and most likely, the version most commonly used by editors of the game in 2005.

I'm sorry if I somehow skimmed your question, or didn't answer it fully. Please type back if there's anything else troubling you! :)
2005-06-14, 5:52 PM #8
I finally found a program I understand that was sitting on one of my old removable hard-drives called JKEdit and it can save levels to a GOB file as well. But thanks for all your help and support!!!:) Thank goodness my brother mentioned JKEdit! I will be back if I encounter any problems with JKEdit. Once again, THANKS DUDES! YOU GUYS GET A 10/10 FROM DA GAME MASTER!!!:cool:
Yo, check it out:

Peace out!
2005-06-14, 6:05 PM #9
Yeah use JKEdit, you'll be making fantasic levels in no time. :rolleyes:
2005-06-14, 7:50 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by ReT
Yeah use JKEdit, you'll be making fantasic levels in no time. :rolleyes:

Now, now, none of that playa' hatin'. ;)

Although I've never used JK Edit, and thus can not make a reasonable statement about whether or not it is better than JED, I must admit that I have heard and seen far more good things come out of JED than JK Edit in the past. Not to say JK Edit is a bad program, but I think it's a bit early yet to completely abaondon hope on JED? What's the problem? I'm sure it can be fixed. Don't throw in the towel just yet, this is probably just an error onvolving miscommunication.
2005-06-14, 9:28 PM #11
If there's one reason you shouldn't use JKEdit is because there is little to no documentation on it, no active editors could assist you with it, and some things are simply impossible to do with it, considering it's not an opensource pluginable level editor.

Besides, JED is far more proficient and elaborate. You've already downloaded JED, now download winzip by searching google for it. Once you install winzip, you'll be able to open the JED zip file. Zip files are compressed boxes that hold large files. Once you open up the file, install JED and DON'T panic. It's not a very inviting program on startup. That's what the JKHub.net is for, as well as the editing documentation.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-06-15, 6:15 PM #12
I would like to make a little statement from someone who uses JKEdit and has started dipping his hand in JED.
When I started out, I thought the same thing as you. I could understand JKEdit, and all JED was was a funky grid thingie. But after YEARS of trying to make a good level out of JKEdit, I can safely say that I wasted a LOT of my time. JKEdit simple doesn't have the abilities that JED does.
JKEdit will make beautiful boxes, but if you try to make something like terrain for example, you'll find it really hard to allign the grid the way you need it. In JED you can make, literally, ANY grid you want. I have only seen ONE good level come out of JKEdit (can't remember who made it now) and that was because he/she probably put their whole life into it.

Trust me on this, take the time to learn JED. We WILL help you if you ask, and it'll pay off in the end. 90% of the people here don't use JKEdit, so if you ever have a problem, you're on your own. Don't put yourself in that position. Use the advice of those who've made this mistake already, USE JED. Thank you for listening, and I hope you switch to the light side.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"

↑ Up to the top!