Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → The infernal trees...
The infernal trees...
2005-07-04, 5:00 AM #1
Using the TreeGen. And MS3D to convert from DFX to 3DO, but when I try to load it into JED to alter the meshes, it won't import, and JED gives me an error message. I know I'm supposed to cut down the poly count, but haven't exactly managed to figure out how to do that... Suggestions?
2005-07-04, 6:40 AM #2
I had the same problem. You have to get Blender to cut down the poly-count. Then,

Quote:
DogSRoOL wrote on 05-10-2005 02:37 PM:[/I]

Instead of opening in blender, go down to "import" on the file menu and select DXF. It should work, but may take a very long time, especially if you're running on an older machine.

Now, if you're not familliar with Blender, it can be quite confusing at first. Once the file is loaded, go to edit mode (F9). You should see an option within the "mesh" panel that says "decimator." You can adjust the number of faces you want the selected mesh to have, and then click the "apply" button. Typically, a mesh in JK can have only either 300 vertices or 300 faces (I can't remember which, but I think it's vertices). You may have to kinda hold the button for a moment. Larger meshes slow down the program's response time.
You might need to smooth the mesh out a bit. To do that, select the mesh, press "Tab" then select all the vertices (press A if they're not all yellow). Press W and select "smooth." You can smooth it as many times as you want.

When you're done, get out of edit mode (press tab - the mesh should turn purple-ish) then select the mesh or group of meshes (depending on your model) and select File > Export > DXF (or whatever filetype you want to use) to save it.

It didn't work in my case though, Blender just froze when trying to import the DXF.

TIP: Make your own trees in JED. That's what I did. Trust me, it's far easier and faster than this.
Skateboarding is not a crime.

↑ Up to the top!