Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → 3do limitations
3do limitations
2005-07-08, 2:40 PM #1
I would like to know the limitations to various components of a 3do like, mesh limit, surfaces, textures, and so on. I current ly am working on a model that will require MANY meshes ingame, so this would help me a lot.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-07-08, 4:36 PM #2
36 Meshes per model, 500 surfaces per mesh (300 surfaces is a MUCH safer number, and with a lot of meshes, it tends to make bug-finding easier), no texture limitations (250x250), one animation of a mat on a 3DO will change the mat's animation on all 3DOs (For level 3DOs or other server-wide 3DOs), and 3DOs tend to disapear and warp at a certain filesize which has yet to be pinpointed.

Anything else? Friend14 knows these limits better than I do, but I'm second best when it comes to 3DO knowledge; I learned it all from him :-P

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-08, 4:37 PM #3
You can not exceed the 500 face limit on a sector pice, Say Kyle's head, if you are using JOKE for some reason I can't figure out you have to export them into JED then. You must keep them in the jed version. (If you need more help let me know.) I am using multipul highploy models in my new patch.
2005-07-08, 6:46 PM #4
I'm good for everything but the mesh limit, but I have a model with 46 and it works ingame. I'm working on a model that will have far more meshes so I'm a little worried
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
2005-07-08, 6:52 PM #5
Woah, sorry. Forgot a zero. 360 meshes per model. It's been broken before, so there's some unknown controller to it, possibly depends on how many surfaces per mesh.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-08, 8:07 PM #6
You are able to have 144000 faces? Ok I did not know that. You shouldn't have a problem with not having enough room.
2005-07-08, 8:22 PM #7
Eh, TECHNICALLY you can, but JK dies after about 150,000 triangles on screen at one time. 1,400,000 is about the MAX JK can do no matter WHAT your specs are. These numbers are all from memory, so Friend14 would have more detailed numbers from the tests he and I have done.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-08, 9:55 PM #8
Oh well, that's good because I got it ingame. It's 54 meshes and it works fine.

It seems strange that the people that made JK left a lot of room to work with with 3dos and nothing else. That is a lot of for a model and yet everything else is so limited.
visit my project

2005-07-09, 9:05 AM #9
I was rong on my math you could in theory have 180000 faces. It is rather strange how they did that. But I will be the first to think them for sure. The engin has a lot of fetures that most people don't know about it is a rather cabpable engen if you take the time to make a good meshes/sectors.
2005-07-09, 9:22 AM #10
being rong on math can have a negative impact on jedi knight editing
2005-07-10, 12:38 AM #11
being rong at spelling wont help u either
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}

↑ Up to the top!