Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Tree 3do's
Tree 3do's
2005-07-27, 4:24 PM #1
I'm looking for some high-quality tree 3do's. Could someone help me out? Massassi is useless for tree 3do's.
2005-07-27, 5:36 PM #2
Preferably something that does not look like a green looking mat-bag on a brown colored cylinder I assume?
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-07-28, 9:38 AM #3
Bump.
2005-07-28, 9:54 AM #4
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Bump.

I'm hesitant to do tihs, but seeing as it's quite a find and that you don't mind pine trees, I recently find just such a pine tree by Friend14 on an old thread. It truly is a VERY good tree, and he siad he didn't mind other's using it, so here you go:

(unfortunately it is too big to upload as an attachment, so I hunted around (despite the new forums crap searching system) and found the link:)

http://www.geocities.com/enhxko/treebig01.zip

Here's the original thread if you're interested: http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=11375
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-07-28, 1:54 PM #5
Hey good find Daft :) - I was surprised to find that some of the screenshot URLs in the thread link you provided were still active, acting as a good "quality indicator" :). I'm no 3DO expert, but I think those trees are excellent and I may well use them in some forest-themed level at some later point ;).

This is one thread who's contents I'm glad were constructively "resurrected" - good catch Daft :D

-Jackpot
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2005-07-28, 3:19 PM #6
Thankyou, but I had to have a fight with myself whether or not to be selfish or to share, so don't consider me a saint just yet. ;)
2005-07-28, 8:28 PM #7
Thanks Daft, I sincerely appreciate it.
2005-07-30, 7:47 AM #8
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Thanks Daft, I sincerely appreciate it.

Good trees are really not hard to make on your own. I may be able to help.

Here's how to make a dead tree, Bob Ross style:
  1. First, make an octagonal prism sector. (F4 & set shape.) Or use any prism you want.
  2. Second, press Shift + X and extrude by like .25 or something. Do this as many times as needed, though for our current purpose, just do it six times.
  3. Third, highlight all sectors but the bottom one in JED. Press F9, scale the mutha by .8 (or 80%). Do this repeatedly, each time highlighting only the prisms with straight sides. (Now, remember, you can drag individual sectors off-center at your leisure, for realism.)
  4. Fourth, after you've tapered off your sectors to the top of the tree, cleave out some approximated circle surfaces in prism faces.
  5. Fifth, extrude (shift + X for greater creative control) the circular surfaces as before, drag off-center, play the scaling game.

Texture tastefully, export finished sectors as 3do. Make a template. On the item editor window, click add value and add "THINGFLAGS." Double click the field and set thingflags for "architecture" (my JED tends to set all templates as _zwalkstruct, so I'm always fixing thingflags).

Oh, hey, here's what you do if you want roots to show at the base of the tree you just made.
  • Just play the scaling game on the base of the tree, this time scaling by something like 1.2 (or 120% as big as the original).
  • Continue to do this until the new base has the radius of, say, large tree roots.
  • Shift + 1 for a top view so you can cleave the roots from your enlarged sector base. I also recommend extruding the bottom one more time, so part of the 3do can be underneath the ground. That way, you don't have to match the base of the tree up with the terrain.
2005-07-30, 8:58 AM #9
You'd have to get the author's permission, but there are some great pine tree 3do's in this level:
Endor Midnight Duel

[http://www.massassi.net/levels/screenshots/en4.jpg]
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2005-07-30, 9:06 AM #10
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
You'd have to get the author's permission, but there are some great pine tree 3do's in this level:
Endor Midnight Duel

Actually, the author has already granted his permission (Friend14), and you can double-check that in the link posted earlier in this thread.

And you're right. Those are top notch.
2005-07-30, 9:18 AM #11
Originally posted by BigCarm:
Actually, the author has already granted his permission (Friend14), and you can double-check that in the link posted earlier in this thread.

And you're right. Those are top notch.

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware it was the same model. I just thought of this level when I saw the thread. :)
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2005-07-30, 10:14 AM #12
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
Endor Midnight Duel

[http://www.massassi.net/levels/screenshots/en4.jpg]

That's the same guy, Friend14. I think I can say I know him well enough to assume he won't mind you using them, just so long as you give credit. ;)
2005-07-31, 6:20 PM #13
Actually, I'm pretty sure the read me says that you can use anything in the level and to credit me if you want. I've always believed in the free sharing of resources, ideas, etc. I always held to the idea that if we all built off of each other, we could produce great levels much quicker instead of reinventing the wheel every time, as it were.

The tree limbs are kind of sparse, feel free to to modify it. I've made several trees since then. Unfortunately, I've lost all but my most recent one I've created. Hopefully, I'll be able to put a tree pack together one of these days.

If anyone can get a hold of Ruth, he's got a beta version of my SG-1 map that has better pine trees in it.
"The solution is simple."

↑ Up to the top!