Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Stacking Crates? How about standing on em...
Stacking Crates? How about standing on em...
2005-08-19, 6:00 PM #1
Ok so I I'm trying to make the throwcrates stackable so I can build a wall or staircase. I make a new template and make them have face collision and set their faces to be walkable. It works! THEY STACK!!!

My problem is that you still can't walk on them. Stairs are a no-no. I tried to hybridize _walkstruct with _throwable. This is what I came up with. I'm new to template editing so I'm looking for help. Any ideas?

Think crates in hl2, building stairs or walls or forts with a grav gun. That's what I'm working towards and this is the final road-block I can foresee. HELP

_throwablestandable none orient=(0.000000/0.000000/0.000000) type=debris collide=1 move=physics movesize=0.010000 surfdrag=3.000000 airdrag=1.000000 mass=25.000000 height=0.011000 physflags=0x404063 buoyancy=0.500000 thingflags=0x40

throwcratenewtest _throwablestandable model3d=crttoss1.3do size=0.036400 movesize=0.036400 height=0.036500
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-08-19, 6:51 PM #2
Your best bet is to just use walkstructs, and throw on some unknown thingflag, and check for it in your cog which moves the things. type=debris will ALWAYS be collide=1. Use type=cog, move=physics, and add on some random thingflag as I said, checking for it in your cog. Btw, if you only want them to move when modified by the cog, use move=none, and then in your cog, use ParseArg(thing, "move=physics"); before you move it. And once it comes to a stop (Vel = (0/0/0) ), set it back to move=none in the same manner.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-08-19, 6:52 PM #3
Would that work in MP though?
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-08-19, 8:14 PM #4
Might have to sync with triggers.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-08-20, 8:03 AM #5
I was mucking around with this same idea awhile back. I got them to stack on eachother, and I could push them...But it was like the collide "box" was shaped like a cylinder, the player didn't collide with the corners of the crate. I also had problems getting the crates to collide properly with eachother. I was going to write cogs to prevent them from being in the same space, but I sort of gave up on it since it was just something I was messing around with.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-08-20, 12:01 PM #6
As I said, if you use type=debris, they will not corride correctly. The best types for collisions are type=cog (I personally believe this the best for collision), and type=actor (this is considered best for physics effects).
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come

↑ Up to the top!