Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → A fully lit thing is a very, very bad thing.
A fully lit thing is a very, very bad thing.
2005-08-25, 8:32 PM #1
I have a sector, just one little sector, and a few things. Some of those things are flagged as archi, some are not. Some of these things are custom, some are not. No matter what I do, these damn things keep showing up fully lit, and I really do not want that. At all. The sector has no extra light, the one light in the room is intensity 2, and I don't know what the heck is going on here. Yes, I feel very stupid. Help?
*This post has been edited for content.
2005-08-25, 8:38 PM #2
The 3DO must be flagged as 'blocks light.' for it to have basic lighting applied to it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-25, 8:59 PM #3
The "blocks light" flag does absolutely nothing. It's an adjoin flag used by JED for lighting calculation and nothing else.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-08-25, 9:03 PM #4
Did you use JOKE with any of the 3dos? Joke likes making things (anything non-LEC made for a weird reason) glow in the dark. Open them in JED and set the extra light on all the surfaces to 0.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-25, 9:11 PM #5
The only 'blocks light' flag listed in, er, JED, is for surfaces. Do I flag the surfaces in the 3do before I save it as such?

No, these aren't very complex objects. Created in JED, exported with JED, template created with JED even.
2005-08-25, 9:48 PM #6
Just, ignore it. 'Blocks light' doesn't do anything. Check the surface light values. If all else fails, look for them in the actual 3do file.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2005-08-25, 9:54 PM #7
could you post a screenshot of this?
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
2005-08-25, 10:01 PM #8
Is there a need for a screenshot? The room is properly lit, the things are all fully lit. There are no errors. Simple.

None of the surfaces in the 3do have extra light, the light mode is 3 on the 3do and all the faces in the 3do. I suppose that rules out the 3do. What now?

EDIT: Screenshot. Brightness is set to 0 in JK, which is why it looks so dim. I loaded the level as an sp, cheated my way to all weapons, shot the place up, and the lighting on the objects wasn't effected at all. Not the powerups, not the catwalks, nada. Maybe I should just start over.
Attachment: 6945/JSHOT000.jpg (36,999 bytes)
2005-08-25, 10:28 PM #9
Lighting sucks for 3DOs. Dynamic lights are the only way to light them properly, and even that is iffy. Vertex lights just shade them all one solid brightness, probably depending on where the origin of the 3DO is.
2005-08-25, 10:53 PM #10
I know that, I'm prepared to deal with that. What's got me confused is that these things don't seem to be responding to any light sources at all. They're there, fully lit, ignoring all else.
2005-08-25, 11:09 PM #11
Is it fully lit when there are zero lights in the level? Or when all the lights are intensity/range of 0.
2005-08-25, 11:18 PM #12
Alright, I halved the sector, made sure the vertice light was out of range of one side, and everything went black on that side. So far so good. Then I threw some dynamic lights in there, and now it all looks crazy. Seems I don't know what I'm doing, heh. I'll figure this out though. In the meantime, please forgive my amateurish stupidity.
2005-08-25, 11:31 PM #13
I think sectors light 3dos within them by how bright the sector's brightest vertex is.
visit my project

2005-08-26, 12:10 AM #14
That would explain the fullbright. I would have used an average though. Actually, I wouldn't have programmed such a terrible lighting system in the first place.

↑ Up to the top!