Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Cutscene Dialogue Navigation
Cutscene Dialogue Navigation
2006-01-09, 11:55 AM #1
Or, the manifold wonders of playeraction:.

In the Life of Grismath, the player quite frequently encounters extended dialogue. I have decided that not all of this will be voice-acted in the interests of filesize and vocal health. While the following question isn't of particularly mighty significance to most players, it constitutes a substantial difference in coding.

As a gamer, then, which do you prefer?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-01-09, 1:52 PM #2
Definitely B
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-01-09, 1:59 PM #3
Good because I just spend the past few hours coding the system. ;)

I'll PM you with lines in a little.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-01-09, 4:02 PM #4
A makes more sense. I don't want to have to click for each an every line. If I don't want to hear someone, I'll just skip the entire dialogue.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-01-09, 4:44 PM #5
Ooh, here's an idea: How about you have an option for both!

A line of dialogue could play, and at the end of it, two hotkeys are mentioned: "Press 'N' to go to the next piece of dialogue or press 'S' to skip the entire cutscene."
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-01-09, 7:03 PM #6
A.

I'll want to go through it once as it was meant to be, but all the future times I'll probably just skip it.
2006-01-09, 8:05 PM #7
If the words are on screen as well as audio, sometimes I'll just want to skim through it faster than they talk. BUT I still want to read it, so I'll just advance lines at my leisure. B
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2006-01-10, 7:52 AM #8
A majority of you have voted for B.
All new dialogue that is longer than a couple of lines, then, will use this system. I suppose I could also add a feature for this sort of dialogue to skip the whole scene. Spacebar and Enter are the advance buttons... so I suppose F could be the 'Fast Forward' key. ;]

Unfortunately, I've already coded quite a few cutscenes already that use a set time before they advance to the next line, like watching a play or a film. I'll keep those as they are, so it'll be something of the best of both worlds.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!