Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Importing from milkshape to JOKE and JED
Importing from milkshape to JOKE and JED
2006-01-30, 4:17 AM #1
Hi, I am having trouble importing a head model I made in milkshape. It won't open in JOKE at all, giving the message:

Error Parsing 3DO
Error: EstringListError: List Index out of bounds (-1)
Line: 280

I can import into JED, but it is comprised of several sectors (based on Groupings I made while I was texturing in Milkshape). Will this cause problems, as if I want to use it to replace an existing head on a 3DO, surely it needs to be all one sector?

Also, the texturing I did in Milkshape has not scaled with the model when I imported it to JED. Is there any easy way to fix this? Or do I need to do it the old-fashioned way?
2006-01-30, 2:13 PM #2
Save in JED before opening in JOKE. Export it all as 1 3DO from JED when playing with it in JED, getting rid of the layers/sectors issue. Scale by factors of 2 to retain texturing.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-01-30, 7:19 PM #3
To export as one 3do, name all the layers the same thing.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2006-01-31, 8:49 AM #4
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Scale by factors of 2 to retain texturing.
Just tried it, and it doesn't work. ...Or Jed doesn't like me.

Even scaling by 1 (which ought not do anything) messes up textures.

(And I have tried it with "Scale Textures" checked and unchecked.)

Since we're sort of on the subject though, Bender didn't release his updated build of Jed yet did he?
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2006-02-01, 1:01 AM #5
I am having the same problem, Darthslaw, I think. Even when I import my milkshape model in its original size, all the textures are messed up when it arrives in JED.
2006-02-01, 8:52 AM #6
That shouldn't be happening.... Jed doesn't screw up textures until you drag/scale/rotate the sector (or its sectors/vertices) in some way (with the exception of the MoveSc2Vx plugin).

Are you exporting as a 3do from Milkshape itself, or are you exporting to some other format and then converting to 3do with another program?
2006-02-06, 9:14 AM #7
sorry not to reply over the weekend...

I exported the milkshape model using Zy's 3do exporter plugin. When I open that 3do in JED, the textures are reset on every face to a small setting.

I've just added a zip file containing the original milkshape model, and the mats. Perhaps someone could experiment with it to see if they are more successful at scaling it and importing it to JED?

(ed) I've added an image of the 3do taken as soon as i opened it in JED. As you can see, the 'wraparound' effect has totally disappeared, leaving 400-odd faces to fix... can anyone think of any settings i might need to change?
Attachment: 10253/corellianguard.ZIP (42,365 bytes)
Attachment: 10326/jed screen shot.JPG (7,146 bytes)
2006-02-11, 4:01 AM #8
just to keep the thread visible...
Attachment: 10327/jed screen shot.JPG (7,146 bytes)
2006-02-11, 5:23 PM #9
... please tell me the original texture in milkshape was 256x256?

Milkshape CANNOT have a texture below 256x256 if u want to export it into JK, it may appear to work in milkshape, but it'll have the same error as you've shown.

Make the texture higher res, (256x256 is the MAX, milkshape can use 512x512 and higher, but jk cant, so 256x256 is the only res available)

thats the only thing I can think of that would cause such a problem.

and a hint, do as much editing of the model as you can in milkshape, make sure there's no more than 250 surfaces (approx on each group)... [to identify the surface number on each group, click scale all , and the values will appear in the box at the bottom.)

thats all the aid I can provide for now.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-02-12, 2:09 AM #10
Thanks, Ruthven, I think that's my problem ... I had made 64x64 mats! I'm going to fix that now...
2006-02-13, 9:09 AM #11
Milkshape is an agist! It hates old game formats!!!

Discrimination!

↑ Up to the top!