Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → 16 bit mats...
16 bit mats...
2006-01-31, 12:16 AM #1
i cannot for the life of me remember how to get 16-bit mats to work in jed jk or mots!?!?!? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2006-01-31, 4:04 AM #2
To create a 16bit mat make sure you use mat16.
Make sure you have the most recent version of JED and it'll automatically support it.
Enable 3d accelleration in jk/mots to make the game support it.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-01-31, 12:11 PM #3
Yea Mat16 is a program, I think hosted here on massassi.net
It can import 8 bit mats and bmp and other 16 bit mats too.
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2006-01-31, 4:30 PM #4
You can even import .jpgs :)
-Hell Raiser
2006-02-01, 12:59 AM #5
Hmms :)

Even though you can use Mat16 to make your 8 and 16 bit mats;
another great program is " JKPaint ".

JKPaint not only does the making of 8 and 16 bit mats, but it lets you view animated mats as well, as well as add transparencies to all the cels in the animated mat OR even certain cels within the animated mat. It also lets you make mipmaps as well ( say for example, for creating FOG ). :)

Ok.

That being said.

Remember, that even after you have your 16-bit mat textures, and you've placed them in the \newlevel\mat folder; you will be able to add them to your new level in JED ... .BUT ... BUT they will not be seen in the JED texture screen as valid ( they will still appear as botchy purple/pink messed up texture). Although, they will appear in JK just fine, once u gob it. JED itself just cant view 16bit textures, nor does it do transparencies and see-thru parts of a mat very well either.

;)

EDIT: Also remember that regardless of 16 bit mat specs, the texture itself must be no larger than 256 x 256 for any individual mat. ( it must be multiples of 2, such as 256, 128, 64, 32, 16 x another multiple ; just so long as neither one is greater than 256 and is a multiple of 2 ).
JAS_Palidori
High_Councillor, Light Jedi_Master
JAS: Jedi Against Sith
2006-02-01, 1:28 AM #6
JED shows 16bit mats just fine. Though not 16bit mats with translucensies.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-02-01, 9:19 AM #7
I'd hate to be a terminology nazi, but I have been corrected about this before:

Translucency is like glass in JK, you can halfway still see the surface/texture. Transparent is completely see through, which is what 16-bit mats do with one specific color.

Happy matting! ;)

[edit]TO ALL OF J00S![/edit]
-Hell Raiser
2006-02-01, 9:46 AM #8
You're right, I was thinking the other way around.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-02-01, 2:27 PM #9
It's a common mistake. It's due to the fact that in JED, the Tranlucency flag is mistakenly called Transparent instead.
"The solution is simple."
2006-02-02, 3:40 PM #10
thanks very much everyone!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!